Chain or belt

Opinions (chain od belt) are divided

Ongoing topics on interesting subjects, what did you do on/with your bike (or other things)?
Fast Ed 53
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Re: Chain or belt

Post by Fast Ed 53 »

Weezeo,A great relief to see your running this combo with out any problems. I count 24 0n your front sprocket. Thanks,Ed
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

Who made the pulleys? Primo?, BDL?, Karata?
Sure, "P.B" is it?. So proud of their product... that they put their initials on it.
Fast Ed 53
Inactive member

Post by Fast Ed 53 »

VT, I believe my setup is a primo it looks alot like weezo's set. Ed
weezeo
Inactive member

Post by weezeo »

Mines Karata......and like stated 24t motor 38t basket w/ 24 trans and 51 rear makes it a good keeper upper with evo/blockhead/ shovelheads gimme head
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

Does Karata still make that same combo? My world was all aligned with knowledge of the 31/47, and now this.....boy howdy. i posted a pix of the belt measurement over on re-pop. An 8mm belt is 8mm between the c/l of each belt nub. Same for 11mm, etc.
I found an old email (Aug. 26, '03) from BDL about a different (than 31/47) ratio pulley primary set up. Here's what he said, " Sorry, no plans to make a 24-T belt drive pulley as it would serve no purpose, because there is no rear pulley to match it up with or a belt to be used. Our old 14mm drives back in the late 70's & early 80's had a 24T front pulley and a rear 36-T clutch and a 78-T wheel and 14mm belt. This drive was a failure because the front pulley was too small for the belt tooth, thus many belts broke because of this, so it was discontinued with no reason or desire to ever make it again- sorry, - bob g
weezeo
Inactive member

Post by weezeo »

They are still in business but I got mine present setup 15 yrs ago + - or so I imagine so I think its the mm that will get the more or less out of the teeth. Thats all i can imagine a 8 mm will have more teeth. I reckon.
52 Chopper

Post by 52 Chopper »

OK boys and girls, I completed the winter project. I put a suicide shift on, 1.5" internal belt, internal throttle, 12" apes and classical bicycle hand horn ... Yesterday I put a 120+ miles on the old girl. I popped 1 wheelie , dropped the clutch 2 x's :'( and almost fell over to the right a bunch ... But boy to love it all.... It's tough shifting with the left hand down by my ass and working the clutch with the left foot while making a right turns!! :-/ But shit, that's what riding is all about! Plus all day at all stops she was starting with 1-2 kicks! I think I'm going to love this summer!!!
weezeo
Inactive member

Post by weezeo »

52, I converted my PAN to a hand shift with a rocker clutch as opposed to suicide clutch about 20 yrs ago. I also ride a 66 Shovel w/ hand clutch. Don't know what type foot clutch you are running but i love the rocker (heel toe) as oppose to the car type suicide where as you have to hold it down. I love the shifting by my ass deal I think its nice But i wouldn't run the car type And I wouldn't do my shovel that way I don't know why I think PAN's are nice that way. Oh yea it don't take long getting used to the clutch setup I think it took me about 10 blocks of sweaving to get it right Plus you can run some hairy looking shift knobs I got a nice Bone Skull on mine this year. replace the dice of last.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

weezeo, I must be running behind times, I modified a large Dice[die], that I drilled & tapped for my stick.
NICE KNOB, you got there!!! ;D

I don't know if you know a girl from up my way Katmandu, she used to work behind the counter of Stuart HD. Anyhow I built a basket 57 Pan Police for her
w/rocker clutch & tank shift. She never would even try to learn to ride it. My wife & I had fun "breaking it in"
for her.My wife is an ol' clutcher from way back also. The owner is now a full-time a Freelance photographer for a few biker mags. Anyway The 57 is in the latest "In The Wind" in reader rides. I tried to make her an offer before on the basket. No Go.. She finally traded it for a 96 roadking.
Some guy in Clearwater now has a right,tight Pan. :'(
I think I went off topic, way off. Sorry. I'll remove if
necessary. Just let me know!!
weezeo
Inactive member

Post by weezeo »

Billy, never off topic for me yer a member thats what its for Motorcycles!!!!!! Where do you live? I been down here in Broward County for 30 yrs. Off an On more on than off But have taken a few extended stay trips I thought you were from Pensacola or somewhere on the other coast. But no I never meet Kat... I just been putting pic's up of some Parts I am trying to sell to buy a wideglide check em out its at
http://www.sunnysouthflorida.com/pictures.html and http://www.sunnysouthflorida.com/pictures2.html
Let me know if don't load if you got a minute or 2
weez@SunnySouthFlorida.com
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

weezeo, I'm in S.L. County last 7 yrs. before that was WPB for about 11 yrs. Nice parts you got there!! You shouldn't have any trouble selling those to a "Purist".
They loaded pretty quickly for me! ;D Rare Parts!!
panomania
Inactive member

Post by panomania »

i've been running a 3inch primary belt for about a year now. ive noticed the clutch action seems a little inconsistent. some days they grab and other days they don't. never happened with the chain. i also noticed that alot of guys in Florida run 2 1,1/2 inch belts on 3 inch sprockets. they said due to the wear from sand if one breaks they never miss a beat. good idea i guess.
weezeo
Inactive member

Post by weezeo »

I been doing some researching on these belts and the ratio with teeth etc...It just didn't sit with me all the numbers everyone was coming up with So... I have a 13.8 MM 78 tooth Gates belt Other sizes are 31 - 47 11 MM...BDL has a 2" 47 - 76, and a 11MM 31 - 47 1 1/2 along with other oddball size ones.
" 'Sorry, no plans to make a 24-T belt drive pulley as it would serve no purpose, because there is no rear pulley to match it up with or a belt to be used. Our old 14mm drives back in the late 70's & early 80's had a 24T front pulley and a rear 36-T clutch and a 78-T wheel and 14mm belt"". I guess he was wrong on that
I was wondring why the big difference. A good site for knowledge on these belts is http://www.ironeagle.com/webcart/frameset.htm
Scroll down on the left side for Belts, Kits etc.... hope this helps others
Jim Kelly

Post by Jim Kelly »

I 've been running a 3" belt for 6 years now on my pan chopper with no troubles at all. It was easy to align and is maintenance-free. I always liked the look of the diamond tin primary, but the simplicity and smoothness of the belt is well worth it.
Kirk S

Post by Kirk S »

My rigid '58 has a belt . It's great and I rarely ride at less than 70 with short bursts to 80. 70 is fine, but 80 gets a little buzzy, especially in the footboards. I've got an early 80's wide glide with a 21" and the bars really don't vibrate that badly even at 80. I'd love a fifth gear though.

Return to “Small Talk / What did you do today?”