loose rivets

Transmission, clutch, chains and belts
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Mike!

I think I just etch-a-sketched a curve into it on the lathe. A tiny center nub helps it center itself. Life span hasn't seemed to be an issue, as I have probably only installed less than a dozen sprockets in the last decade and a half. (You might note that the drum in the pic is for a Chief.) Valve stems are pretty tough stuff.

Meanwhile, back to the original problem,
Wick started off posting:
"...noticed that the sprocket wasnt tight against drum (AGAIN). This seems to happen way to often.."
And later he posted "There is a gap of about 3/16 between the two;" meaning the backing plate and the drum.
It seems pretty probable that there is an alignment problem that is causing the chain to yank the sprocket sideways.

Boogering bigger holes in the drum is just adding insult to injury on some very precious hardware.

....Cotten
wick

rivets

Post by wick »

Dear Mr. Cotton Sir, I have been a Tool&Die Maker for twenty five years now. I know that a 3/16 thread is a number 12. I thought that by using 3/16 instesd of saying a 12 that people would understand the size better. All the parts on the swingarm are orignial. I tried to get the drum closer to the anchor plate when I had it apart and it wouldnt go. Hell, there aint that many parts were dealin with here. The plate stayed on the bike and I took of the drum,wheel,lug nuts ,spacer on oppsite side,axel nut ,washer and axel. I will take it apart again and see if I missed something. Sorry for the different names I have been using, I have tried to register but havent gotten an e-mail back to confirm my reg or I am doing something wrong. me
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

I have tried to register but havent gotten an e-mail back to confirm my reg or I am doing something wrong. me
Can you send me an email (info@hydra-glide.net)?

Return to “Transmission, Clutch, Belt & Chains”