clutch/cable/shifter/???? problem

Transmission, clutch, chains and belts
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
54panman
Inactive member

clutch/cable/shifter/???? problem

Post by 54panman »

hey yall, first i wanted to say hi... i have not been on in awhile my laptop died. but i got my 54 pan running and on the road, but im still having what i feel is an adjustment issue.... the bike fires right up no slippage and the alignment is perfect, but when i put it in gear it was thumping pretty hard and had alot of drag so i re-adjusted the center bolt and its better, but its still got drag and i still cant find N postion with the bike running!!! specs = 3" bdl open primary, not sure who the disks are but the look like good (newer), homemade mousetrap elim. bracket, cus.cro. clutch lever, new cable, org. mouse trap clutch arm on the tranny that was cut down to macth an after market... fire away with any and all Q: and suggestions thanks panman
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

make sure you have 31/32" between the outer disk and the spring collar, any less than 7/8 and the clutch probably won't release enough to find neutral.
Ohio-Rider
Bikes: *

Post by Ohio-Rider »

If your clutch hub basket is wobbling, it can cause all the symptoms you have descriped here. Are you using the long rollers or the caged bearings for your hub?

Belt drives need to be aligned much closer than a chain drive. Also if you have your belt too tight it can also cause the problems you are describing.
If everything looks pretty good than maybe a clutch TAMER would be of some help to ya. -Steve
54panman
Inactive member

Post by 54panman »

ok i'll check that! im having a brain fart... how do i do that? haha thanks

Return to “Transmission, Clutch, Belt & Chains”