Gear Case (cams, idlers, cam cover)
GREASE
Bikes: 1960 FLH

Removing my cam/gear cover

Post by GREASE »

Hello all,
First post here....

1951 FL

I want to remove my Cam/Gear cover to get chromed. Is there anything I should be worried about when I remove the cover. Shims/gears falling out? I read in the J & P catalog about reaming for final fit? (is that for NEW covers)

I had an 80 sportster, in the early 80's and I remember when I removed the cover, along came the shims and gears.....
Is this going to happen on my 51 FL?? I am in the process of converting it to a old skool bobber.

thanks for the help!
Greg aka Grease
03Roadking
Bikes: 1962 Panhead Scooter

Re: Removing my cam/gear cover

Post by 03Roadking »

Hello Grease
Checked the site, never saw a tat on the bottom of a foot before she must have really been screwed over by a man to want to do that
Anyway there is a lot of good literature here about what you need to know also your manual would be a lot of help, myself I aways pull the push rods to take the pressure off and when you go to split the cover you need a very flat putty knife you want to work it off without tearing up the case or the cover there is a shim for the breather valve that might fall out and you will have to put new bushings in the cover when you get it back from the chrome shop and ream them to match also you will have to measure and possibly put in a new sized breather valve shim if you don't have a clymers and or shop manual I would wait and pick one up before I started. I'm sure there are a few here that can ad to this I did not go thru the complete start to finish but if you get stuck just post it there is plenty of help here.
DuoDave
Bikes: duo

Post by DuoDave »

The cam cover can be quite difficult to remove if it is stuck on with gasket goo. A simple method to get it started is to remove the generator. You can place a hammer handle or piece of broom handle against the inner face of the cam cover and gently tap on the end to break the seal. You can then work the putty knife or similar around to break away the rest of the gasket. Some careful wiggling should then see the cover slide clear. Don't be tempted to use a screwdriver as a lever, as this will damage the mating faces. It is possible that the camshaft could be pulled out of it's location as you pull the cover off. As mentioned, watch that the breather valve shim does not drop out.
Personally, I prefer the look of polished alloy to chrome. Polished alloy parts that have been chromed can often end up looking a real mess as the chrome starts to peel. It is your choice of course, but make sure you choose a good chromer.
rigid60
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by rigid60 »

got my motor on the bench right now...pulled the gear chest cover to see what cam I had in it. My cover had been chromed by the previous owner, and now it looks like crap. The chrome started flaking. So now I get to plunk down some coin for a new(repop) one or strip the nasty chrome off the one that I have. Keep it polished you'll be happier in the long run
1950bobber

Post by 1950bobber »

rigid60......
MOST EXCELLENT ADVICE, oops, didn't mean to yell at you all...but the longer one remains in vintage, classic iron, the more rigid60's advice to keep those Pans as they were...CLASSIC! Forgo the chrome...you WILL be better off and those 'ole HD's will ALWAYS look better for it! my 2 cents.
1950 Bobber
GREASE

Post by GREASE »

Hey Everyone,
Thanks for the kind advice...
I think I will just get the cover polished!

But, I have another question, before I attempt to remove the cover.
I noticed a brass pin on the cover.
Does the pin go all the way through...

Thanks again and ride safe...

Grease
rigid60
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by rigid60 »

Yes it does. There is also another one located at the bottom left of the gear cover. These are dowel pins which guarentee proper alignment of the gears inside. Once you pull it off, you will see that the gear cover is actually the out board support for the breather, cam, and other gears inside.
GREASE

Post by GREASE »

Thanks everyone!

I was searching the posts and came across this....
"If your '51 is an original, you have an easy one to tear down and reassemble. Pull the tappets and blocks, and get them stored away for reworking at some later time. Use two putty knives to remove the gear cover. Sharpen them on one side with a fine cut file. Work them in, near the cover dowel pins, and start working the cover off. No screwdriver dings, here. Will come off nice and clean. Reach in through the tappet block holes and slide the cam back away from the cover, as you work the cover away from the case."
Thanks to Jack Hester on the splitting case post.

I don't think I will have any problems.

Grease
frodenpan
Bikes: 1958 duoglide

Post by frodenpan »

I just took mine off today. Already had the generator out so I did use a wood handle to tap through gen hole to inside of cam case. Also used a five and one flat, stiff, beveled putty knife and a hard plastic wedge molding remover from Eastwood. It came off easily. Found cam gear timing marks were all off. So will tomorrow pull push rods, tappet blocks etc and re align. No wonder motor would not start. Also cleaned up slipping clutch plates the other day as clutch was slipping. What an education I am getting. I wanted something to work on and I got it.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

You are aware that the timing marks do not align every revolution, right?

Return to “Gear Case / Cams”