Leaking oil from generator mount bolt

Gear Case (cams, idlers, cam cover)
xnoahx

Leaking oil from generator mount bolt

Post by xnoahx »

Ive got some oil seeping out of the lower generator mount bolt on the cam gear cover on my pan. Is there anything that I can do to get this to seal up so I dont end up with oil baked onto my exhaust and oil soaked shoes?
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Re: Leaking oil from generator mount bolt

Post by caschnd1 »

That oil is coming from one of two places:

1) It seeping past the generator gasket and then wicking it's way along the lower generator bolt and dripping out

OR... (and more likely)

2) The oil is seeping past the cam cover gasket at the bottom generator bolt and dripping out at that point.

Either way, your best solution is probably to replace the offending gasket. Make sure your surfaces are flat before putting it all back together.

-Craig
Kuda
Bikes: *

Post by Kuda »

Or, Option 3: You've got a pinhole (porosity) in the cases. I had a real PITA leak in exactly the spot you described, changed the gasket, checked the cover and cases for straightness, everything I could think of. Even used RTV on the screws, just in case (not much, and I cleaned it out really good afterwards). Nothing worked. Then I pulled the cam cover again to try a new type of gasket, got distracted, and wandered away for a few beers. When I came back, the leak was still there, but it was now obvious that it never made it over the lip of the cases, but was actually leaking right *through* the case, near the edge. A small bit of liquid aluminum and all is well...

-Kuda
'49 FL
caschnd1
Bikes: 1949 FL Chopper

Post by caschnd1 »

Good point Kuda! I've seen the "porosity" issue you describe in head and other spots in the cases.

-Craig
xnoahx

Post by xnoahx »

Yeah I just changed the gasket, wasn't too easy getting it off after having it having sat for 22 years. I think Ill try replacing the gen gasket next and if it persists Ill try the gear cover gasket again and look for any extra seepage
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Alot of times guys tend to overtighten the genny-bolts & the cover can get distorted or cracks where the bolt snugs-up to cover!. I had this problem on a bike & the fix was ,A little Clear Sillycone near the bolthead!--Before applying--Clean all oil using Alcohol, use Alcohol on the bolt to!. Then just put a 1/8 inch thick bead right near the bolt head & run it home!--Do not overtighten!, Any that squishes out wipe it off with your finger in a circular motion around the head of the bolt where it meets the cover, This will take excess off & tool-it into where the leak is & seal it!. Let sit overnight to cure--Then fire-up & all should be good!---By doing it this way you wont get any Sillycone in the motor where you DO NOT WANT IT!.--WORKS GREAT!--Good-Luck---Richie 8)
Panhead Joey
Bikes: Harley Davidson 1959 FL Panhead 1964 FLH

Post by Panhead Joey »

I'm experiencing the same issues on my 1959 FL panhead. I rolled up the garage door one morning and notice oil underneath the generator area. Grabbed the flashlight and could not locate the leak anywhere. When I grabbed the generator there was a film of oil underneath the generator case. After reading the above posts the leak could possibly be leaking from the generator gasket or cam cover as described in the posts. In order to isolate the issues how do I remove the 6 volt generator? My manuals do not specifically mention step by step in removal of generator. Do you have to remove cam cover to access the generator mounting bolts to remove generator? Also, if that's the case are there any other important steps I need to know or any cautions before doing this?

I would appreciate any help or direction to take care of this leak!

Thank you kindly.

Joseph
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

On your Cam cover there are 2 bolts that are not slotted like the others. These are the bolts holding your generator on. You may need to remove the wires to get it out and if you do take a picture of them first or mark them so you know which terminal on your generator the wires go. They are the two bigger holes on the right hand side of this gear cover. It will take you more time to clean the gasket surfaces than to remove the generator
gear case cover after wire wheel..jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

And also loosen the hold-down strap around the body of the generator. Be careful to take note of the shims under the generator and replace them the way you found them.
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

I dont think he has a strap on a 59. It should have 5/16 bolts.
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

PanPal wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:19 pm I dont think he has a strap on a 59. It should have 5/16 bolts.
Oh yeah. Duo-glide. I stand corrected.
Panhead Joey

Post by Panhead Joey »

Thanks Bigincher and Panpal you're information has been very helpful! I was not aware of any shims under generator. Not sure why manuals do not clearly specify this? Anyway, glad you all shared this so i don't go in there blindly and cause other issues. To recap my generator removal, remove the generator bolts on right hand side of gear case, remove wiring, and shims. Generator should remove by pulling it straight out correct? (Do I need to move it left to right while removing generator?) After replacing new gasket, what gasket seal would you recommend and should I apply any silicone or sealant on the mounting bolts before tightening generator? Can you also tell me why there is extra hole on my gear case next to the mounting bolt? Hope this is not a stupid question just curious :) I will add picture!

Thanks!
image3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bigincher
Former member
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

The "extra hole" is one of the locating dowels which locate the cover perfectly in relation to the cam and other shafts that run on the inside of the cover.
You might have to twist the generator a little bit back and forth to break the gasket loose. Pushing the brush end of the generator towards the motor will effectively move the drive gear away from the idler gear that drives it, might help free up the drive gear for easier removal of generator. Not a big deal, though. Once removed, you'll see the shims under the generator. There's an oil weep hole on the underside of the generator; be sure to line it up with the hole(s) in the shim(s) when you re-install.
I'm not one to use silicone or any other sealer anywhere near oil passageways or chambers. GaskaCinch is the only thing I would consider, because it cleans up easily. But even then, if you remove the generator again, you'll have to deal with anything you put on there now, and be sure it doesn't fall in the cam chest. Others here will also have opinions on that.
Panhead Joey

Post by Panhead Joey »

Very much obliged for the help Bigincher and thank you all for the timely responses and valuable info. I feel very confident to dive in there and get this oil leak resolved.

Joey
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Once removed, you'll see the shims under the generator. There's an oil weep hole on the underside of the generator; be sure to line it up with the hole(s) in the shim(s) when you re-install.
There is no saddle, weep hole, or shims under a generator on engines newer than '57. That was mentioned earlier in the thread. There is merely a single gasket between the backside of the timing case and the generator body with no adjustment for the gear lash.
Not sure why manuals do not clearly specify this?
They do not mention it in any manuals for '58 up since it does not exist.
Robbie

Return to “Gear Case / Cams”