Need help! Super E Carb Pouring Fuel

S&S carburetor isues

Need help! Super E Carb Pouring Fuel

Post by Guest »

I Can't get my S&S super E Carb to quit pouring fuel out of the overflow tube. I have replaced the float with a new float and adjusted numerous times. Any suggestions??
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

clean the float valve?

john
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

Float might be binding some where, defective float valve .
56pan
Bikes: 1956 FLH
1997 FLHTCI

Post by 56pan »

I have the exact same problem with my Super E. As soon as I open the petcock gas pours out the overflow tube. I shut of the petcock, tap on the bowl with handle of a screwdriver, open the petcock and it's fine. I took it apart and checked and reset the float but still does the same thing. This carb is fairly new.
Bill
woodrell
Inactive member

another thought

Post by woodrell »

are the wheels up in the air or down on the ground?
1964 pan
Bikes: 1964 FL

Post by 1964 pan »

Rust in the tank? Does it have an in line fuel filter? Is the tank venting properly? Presure built up well force gas by the needle and seat. Some times I had to do like 56 pan. But, it was ok after that.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Need help! Super E Carb Pouring Fuel

Post by 58flh »

HEY GUYS!---S&S-E is plagued with a problem right out of the box!!---ITS the FLOAT & NEEDLE set-up!/ NOW heres the deal you can buy a new one & if lucky you got a good one!(just a roll of the dice!. WHENEVER I install a E for a customer I dont care if its new in the wrap or a used one!--YOUR LUCK is better with a used one anyway!--THE bugs have taken care of if the owner is schooled on them!---The first thing is take it apart & pull the float/with shaft & the needle out!,WHAT TO DO? TAKE some fine paper like #600 & hit the shaft lightly & HIT the straights of the needle!--THIS is where you must be careful ,because if you hit the viton tipped needle on the point of seating--YOU now need a new needle!---AFTER all is done assemble the float & needle ----NOW check for binding & ease of up & down movement! IF its ok,then hold over your head & blow in the fuel-inlet,-IT should flow real nice!, NOW turn upsidedown & blow again -NO AIR should come past the needle & seat!--IF it does leak slightly & a very-LIGHT push on the float stops it/ YOUR almost done!--TAKE the needle out again & sand the sides that keep it in its home a little more,ALSO do the shaft & roll-it on a piece of glass to see if theres a wobble!--IF no wobble GOOD, if a very slight wobble --STRAIGHTEN-IT, MOST likely was bent by tightening the screw to hard!--I finf this ALOT!. ONCE all is good & sealing-up tight set the float as per instructions!-I think its 1/8 from even with the BOWL-GASKET in place.ALSO 3/16s wont hurt ya!!. NOW go to starting routine like the directions say (2-turns out will start anything! YOU have to ADJ. from ther with a motor thats up to operating temp.-THEY say 1-1/2 out--BUT I like to play it safe & a little richer will only help not hurt a pan.----THIS has been my EXP. over & over & over! A SLIGHT glitch on quality control from S&S! Once dialed in its a 1-kicker everytime!-----RICHIE 8)

Return to “S&S”