How are you venting your primary?

Transmission, clutch, chains and belts
Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
pannick
Inactive member

How are you venting your primary?

Post by pannick »

Was worndering if anybody had any "special" tricks or setups to re-route the primary case vent instead of getting oil all over the primary belt?

Thx
PanNick
62wild1
Bikes: 1962 panhead, 1999 Wideglide, 2008 Ultra Classic and a few other brands.

Post by 62wild1 »

I think another member used a piece of clear tubing with a spring in it so it wouldn't colapse and routed it out the backside of the inner. You can check with him here http://www.57panhead.com/index.htm
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

Here's how I did mine , I cut the bend off the breather( if you have the later mod. breather you will need to get a early one or modify it ) and brazed a 3/8 " nipple on it and ran a hose to the back of the bike . I got the nipple from an old car engine breather , but you could probably get one at an auto parts store .

http://www.hydra-glide.com/coppermine/d ... ?pos=-1335

http://www.hydra-glide.com/coppermine/d ... ?pos=-1334
pannick
Inactive member

Post by pannick »

fourthgear and 62wild1, thanks for your input. I checked out both links and decided to secure a 3/8" tube all the way back past the rear tire and onto the ground [Don't want to slip at an intersection you know!].
I'm not sure yet as to how I am going to do this, but it seems as if I am looking in the right direction as the both of you have done.

Thx,
PanNick
pannick
Inactive member

Post by pannick »

Well guys, after some thought and a few sketches on some paper, I finally decided on re-routing my primary breather using the J-tube to a vent nipple located in the middle of the rear primary cover, down by the lower frame and out the left-rear side past the tire. I wanted something to look nice although the outer primary cover will be installed, so don't be too harsh on the braided hose idea!

I've included a photo for review. So far everything is completed other than connecting the nipple @ the j-tube which was JB welded and is currently drying.

Tell me what you think?

-PanNick
Attachments
Primary oiler re-routed line.JPG
Primary oiler re-routed line.JPG (149.3 KiB) Viewed 2491 times
jellero
Former member

Post by jellero »

i put an elbow on the breather between the engine and primary and ran it back and off to the side of the swingarm. i would like to hear some ideas on a filter for it though. i've read of some that run the breather back to the oil tank or into carb too. j
pannick
Inactive member

Post by pannick »

Jellero,
I thought about an oil/ air separator which I would clean out once a month, but I can't find one that's small enough not to look tacky.

-PanNick
jellero wrote:i put an elbow on the breather between the engine and primary and ran it back and off to the side of the swingarm. i would like to hear some ideas on a filter for it though. i've read of some that run the breather back to the oil tank or into carb too. j
VT

Post by VT »

Do what your doing's OK. You can make the belt primary drip less. It's a little more involved, but at least you'll have that option.
Spend your time on another part of the machine, unless you just have to ride it.
If you're going to wait, don't add anymore primary tin. Don't install your exhaust. The fix is hidden. You can use your OE style tin. It's also a reversible procedure.
March 6th. It's only 38 days away. The book took 7-1/2 yrs. to create. Just information about modern methods for antique- rep '41-59 OHV.
No cuts. No welds. Peace.
pannick
Inactive member

Post by pannick »

VT, that is exactly my point...this IS the last thing I need to do to ride the bike and break her in. Everything is completed and when kicking her over for the first time, she was leaking...I'm simply trying to work out a bug.

BTW, I opened up the primary to see where the leak was coming from and decided to do a little bit "more productive" work on her while I was in the vicinity. I never re-installed the outer primary so I can investigate further.

-PanNick
VT wrote:Do what your doing's OK. You can make the belt primary drip less. It's a little more involved, but at least you'll have that option.
Spend your time on another part of the machine, unless you just have to ride it.
If you're going to wait, don't add anymore primary tin. Don't install your exhaust. The fix is hidden. You can use your OE style tin. It's also a reversible procedure.
March 6th. It's only 38 days away. The book took 7-1/2 yrs. to create. Just information about modern methods for antique- rep '41-59 OHV.
No cuts. No welds. Peace.

Return to “Transmission, Clutch, Belt & Chains”