VIN numbers. (what are people thinking?)

All Panhead related discussions, questions etc.
junebug
Bikes: 63 panhead (sort of)

VIN numbers. (what are people thinking?)

Post by junebug »

Just sharing another VIN of a bike for sale on the internet.

For entertainment only...let me know if I should stop posting these. They amuse the heck out of me.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1678728390930.jpg
FB_IMG_1678728390930.jpg (53.24 KiB) Viewed 978 times
Alex E
Bikes: 1948 FL bobber, '87 Rokon Trailbreaker

Re: VIN numbers. (what are people thinking?)

Post by Alex E »

Here's another that's currently on the auction site.
s-l400(21).jpg
s-l400(21).jpg (21.14 KiB) Viewed 945 times
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Alex E wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:48 pm Here's another that's currently on the auction site.s-l400(21).jpg
Those appear factory correct.
Alex E

Post by Alex E »

They don't to me due to curvature, the 6, spacing and cocked numbers.
But I certainly believe your opinion and appreciate your knowledge. I have learned so much from this forum and especially you.
kitabel
Bikes: 1937 U big flathead, 88" stroker, dual port, big cams, pop-up pistons

Post by kitabel »

Actual comment w/r/t "you just bought this bike, how do you know the VIN is good?".
"My friend, who pumps gas at the Texaco station and knows all about bikes, went with me and we checked. The number stamped on the engine is the same as the number on the title".
Yes, really.

How about a ServiCar engine (VIN G is normal) stamped XXULXXXX?
"The seller explained, "it's a 45, bored and stroked to 80".

How about a panhead with Triumph 650 numbers and title?
Speeding Big Twin
Bikes: H-D

Post by Speeding Big Twin »

Alex E wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:33 am They don't to me due to curvature, the 6, spacing and cocked numbers.
But I certainly believe your opinion and appreciate your knowledge. I have learned so much from this forum and especially you.

I agree with Robbie regarding the 49 SN appearing factory correct. I can’t see anything wrong at this stage although I’d ask for a close-up for further examination of the E. And I’d request a photo of the top of the cases near the rear mounting bolts.

But I’m interested in why you initially thought the 49 didn’t appear correct. Can you elaborate please re your mention of the 6 and the spacing. Thanks.
Eric
Alex E

Post by Alex E »

Speeding Big Twin wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:30 am
Alex E wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:33 am They don't to me due to curvature, the 6, spacing and cocked numbers.

But I’m interested in why you initially thought the 49 didn’t appear correct. Can you elaborate please re your mention of the 6 and the spacing. Thanks.
Eric
Eric,
To me this 49 number does not look factory correct for the following reasons.

The numbers are not uniform or evenly spaced across the number boss nor do they make full use of the boss. The 6 is right against the L then a big space followed by three numbers that are crooked.
Also, numbers are not stamped in a straight line but follow the curvature of the case at the bottom of the number boss.

Add that all up and it looks very wrong to me but I stand corrected by the experts here.
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

Alex E wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:19 pm
Speeding Big Twin wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:30 am

Eric
Eric,
To me this 49 number does not look factory correct for the following reasons.

The numbers are not uniform or evenly spaced across the number boss nor do they make full use of the boss. The 6 is right against the L then a big space followed by three numbers that are crooked.
Also, numbers are not stamped in a straight line but follow the curvature of the case at the bottom of the number boss.

Add that all up and it looks very wrong to me but I stand corrected by the experts here.
Keep in mind that the numbers were hand stamped individually by an employee who may or may not have had a lot of experience in doing so. There is no "rule" that they be uniform or straight.
kitabel

Post by kitabel »

What I find troubling is the complete lack of interest by law enforcement to identify at least the worst fakes, and stop bothering riders with VINs that the cop doesn't understand.
Does anyone know of a specific statement by a recognized authority (author, AMCA judge) about the 1930-69 period that contains very few errors or omissions and could be submitted to the NY DMV?
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

kitabel wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:51 pm What I find troubling is the complete lack of interest by law enforcement to identify at least the worst fakes, and stop bothering riders with VINs that the cop doesn't understand.
Does anyone know of a specific statement by a recognized authority (author, AMCA judge) about the 1930-69 period that contains very few errors or omissions and could be submitted to the NY DMV?
Sounds like it should be your next book.
kitabel

Post by kitabel »

Thanks, but I'm among the least informed here as to this subject :D
The H-D, B.S.A., Triumph, Linkert, Amal, Mikuni, Chrysler, and Chevy stovebolt work you see on my page took years to research: http://www.victorylibrary.com/books1.htm
george48pan
Bikes: 48 panhead

Post by george48pan »

kitabel wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:04 am Actual comment w/r/t "you just bought this bike, how do you know the VIN is good?".
"My friend, who pumps gas at the Texaco station and knows all about bikes, went with me and we checked. The number stamped on the engine is the same as the number on the title".
Yes, really.

How about a ServiCar engine (VIN G is normal) stamped XXULXXXX?
"The seller explained, "it's a 45, bored and stroked to 80".

How about a panhead with Triumph 650 numbers and title?
I bought my motor with title in 1978. I have never been pulled over to have the numbers checked. Maybe i'm just lucky. The VIN on motor and title is DRF XXXXX. I have tried without success to find origin of motor. I don't remember if the numbers on the cases even match. I have been riding in IL, IN, TN, KY, WI, MI, MN, IA, SD, WY.
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

DRF is generally an old assigned number from CA. It stands for Department Registry File. Some other states used them as well. The CHP used tons of bikes and swapped engines all over between them, most re-stamped as DRF to keep track of them. Owner built bikes with no title were also commonly assigned DRF numbers decades ago. I used to see them from time to time when working in shopsin the '70s. The problem with them is they could just be stamped on another set of cases with no other identification. They were replaced by the blue frame tags.
kitabel

Post by kitabel »

Long ago, I read an FBI (NATB?) letter to local law enforcement that, among other things, warned cops to beware of H-Ds because bad people embed shotgun barrels in the handlebar ends. Another remark was to be aware of frequent parts and engine swaps between Sportsters and big twins.

I would guess their psych exams don't work...
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog »

kitabel wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:41 pm Long ago, I read an FBI (NATB?) letter to local law enforcement that, among other things, warned cops to beware of H-Ds because bad people embed shotgun barrels in the handlebar ends. Another remark was to be aware of frequent parts and engine swaps between Sportsters and big twins.

I would guess their psych exams don't work...
It's not just a gov'mnt thing to generate reams of bull shit just to keep one's job....

Return to “Panhead”