Motorcycles

Dependable modern hwy speed bike

Ongoing topics on interesting subjects, what did you do on/with your bike (or other things)?
Frazier
Bikes: Panhead

Motorcycles

Post by Frazier »

Ok ive got two shovels and a pan and all three were designed in a different era , the shovels were when the national speed limit was 55 mph ( got a ticket back then for going 56 ) the shovels cruze nice about 60 - 70 mph but now days everyone is going 80-90 mph and above ! I worrie about gettin hit from behind on the fwy , my neighbor is going to laconia this year on the east coast and we are in calif. So he did a 1200 mile practice run last sunday ! On his modern 114 harley eight valve wonder , gets up to 95 and puts on cruze control and books it ! Well good for him ! Ive never done something like that before on a motorcycle myself , the galf million miles ive driven were at a much slower pace than that . Well need to at least keep up with modern traffic and have about $10,000 to invest in the project , thought about buying a newer bike but anything newer than an evo I know nothing about , twin cam ? What the fuck ? No throttle cables ? Huh ? Fuel injected ? Dont know ? Gotta spend hundreds or thousands at a Harley dealership to have your onboard computer maped out ! Hell no !!! I dont even own a friggin computer , why would I want one on a motorcycle ! Plus all the problems ive heard of with these new bikes I couldnt fix them and shure dont want to rely on a dealership , couldnt afford that !! So maybe I will buy a new S&S 93” shovel motor , has anyone bought one of these ? If so how do you like it ? Thanks Frazier
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Re: Motorcycles

Post by RooDog »

The single best thing I did for my 90" '68 Shovelhead was to do the Sputhe 5 into 4 conversion. Yes I know 5th gear is 1:1, but 1st is 3.24:1. So I install a smaller rear wheel sprocket, 46t thru 48T, and a 24 on the tranny, and can now cruise comfortable at 80 MPH at around 3K RPM. Great highway gearing, and I can still get away at a traffic light. Also the shifter throw is a lot less than with the old 4-speed.
If you have a later bike with a 70T rear belt drive, try a 65T rear wheel pulley. You'll be glad you did
And this is my experience talking, and feedback from others who have taken my advice....
....RooDog....
Larry
Bikes: -

Post by Larry »

I've never had a problem on interstates with a Hydra Glide.
Frazier

Post by Frazier »

Hey RooDog , yea ive got a 24 tooth trans sprocket and a 48 tooth rear wheel sprocket on the shovel but only 74 cu inch motor not at all like your 90” motor , and the pan has a 25 tooth trans and a 51 rear wheel which cant be changed cause the stock drum only has one size and the motor is also 74 cu inch , might do 70 on the flat with a tail wind but if there is a hill have to down shift into 3rd , bike looks awfull pretty but no guts. I live in the mountains and to go anywhere need to run 40 plus miles on the interstate . If I want to go on any long distance runs I have to trailer it there then ride around , pretty dumb !
RooDog

Post by RooDog »

You mentioned an $&$ 93 incher, so I thought a lot of gear would be easily handled. You only need to rig out one highway 'cycle, so maybe you can concentrate on making one of the Shovels a road machine, and leave the other two as they are....
BTW: When mt '68 was 74 inches, I traveled the hills of East Tennessee with 24,24,51 chain sprockets, packing double, with no issues other than often looking for just one more upshift gear. But with the Andrews B grind cam the low end sucked below 20 MPH....
Frazier

Post by Frazier »

Yea Roo Dog was thinking along the same lines , just make a good hwy cruizer shovelhead then maybe go down one tooth on the panhead trans sprocket and a posible 5 in a 4 trans conversion , did one of those for a customer like 20 years ago not too diffucult
RooDog

Post by RooDog »

Frazier....
My Shovelhead has been relegated to local hot rod duties these days. I have a home built custom bagger, rubber mounted 100" Evo, for highway work, even though those days are pretty much behind me, but I can if I want to.... And the 5-speed is just fine, don't need no stinkin' overdrive with the right primary & rear belt ratios....
droptopford
Bikes: ...
48 EL
57 FLH
78 FLH
86 FXST
98 ROAD KING
66 Honda CL 160 Scrambler

Post by droptopford »

Frazier wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:06 pm ...Well need to at least keep up with modern traffic and have about $10,000 to invest in the project , thought about buying a newer bike but anything newer than an evo I know nothing about... Thanks Frazier
No need to go newer than an Evo IMO. If you're looking for something that will comfortably run at "modern traffic" highway speeds and is relatively bullet proof, a carbureted Evo bike might be the ticket. They're out there and at less than $10,000.
kitabel
Bikes: 1937 U big flathead, 88" stroker, dual port, big cams, pop-up pistons

Post by kitabel »

My 2008 Fat Boy (counter-balanced Twin Cam 96B) is the closest to zero vibration H-D I ever rode.
Frazier

Post by Frazier »

Well just solved the problem , bought a 2010 harley wide glide today for $6000 with 16000 miles and a six speed trannyits got new tires and a new battery three extra seats , two extra sets of bars , two sets of saddle bags , service manual and all its service records , and a whole box of extra stuff and oil and filters ! My new fwy flyer !
kitabel
Bikes: 1937 U big flathead, 88" stroker, dual port, big cams, pop-up pistons

Post by kitabel »

My 2008 Fat Boy "B" counter-balanced TC engine (VIN is FLSTF) is the only way to almost eliminate vibration.
A V-twin cannot be perfectly balanced, no, it's not a matter of selecting the right balance factor.
I find "A" and all earlier bikes very uncomfortable.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Keep in mind the rubber mounted A motors also minimize vibration, and are quite comfortable. However the rubber mounted motors do look silly, bouncing around at the stop sign....
Andygears
Bikes: 1950 panhead, 1999 FLHTCI, 1987 FLHTC custom

Post by Andygears »

Frazier, good for you, got what you want in a modern bike and a good deal too. I got spoiled with an ‘82 FXR that I bought new and all my hiway bikes been rubber bouncers since. Multiple bikes are fun but I like to keep the controls similar, like the brake levers and pedals.

Andygears
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

My smoothest motorcycle ever, 1980 BMW R100RS. I modified it with a big bore kit, ported heads with triple springs, titanium valves, sport cam, dual plugged, modified exhaust. It could run 95-100 all day long and bounce off 130, almost boring. It handled as well as an '80s BMW could (billet top tree, Telefix fork brace, Koni shocks) and was a true road burner. I've never cared for any H-D product made after the bad old AMF years, so despite riding a lot of them, I'd never own one. Too many good bikes out there to waste time not riding and throwing money away. Here is the R100RS waiting for the ferry to Nova Scotia. My wife prefers Japanese and was riding a VFR800 :D . I have a rule as I age that no bike I buy weighs over 500#!!!.
Attachments
DCP_0189.JPG
DCP_0189.JPG (89.23 KiB) Viewed 473 times
Frazier

Post by Frazier »

Yea I had a 1996 dyna wide glide years ago but sold it cause the ride was bad , kept pulling over on the fwy and checking the tires cause I thought I had a flat , damn thing was very unstable so I sold it then later found out about the dyna death wobble , well last week I called Sputh about a six speed trans in a four speed case and they dont make them anymore but told me they now make a front and rear stabelizer for the dynas that will elimanate the wobble , well sounds like they solved the high speed wobble in the dynas so thats why I bought one last sunday , gonna order one of their stabelizer kits tomorrow , will keep the panhead and shovels fir local mountain rideing

Return to “Small Talk / What did you do today?”