left case seal replacement

All flathead topics
Diesel10r
Bikes: 2009 heritage classic
51' FL
42' WLA

left case seal replacement

Post by Diesel10r »

So while replacing my primary chain and such I got the newer style rubber seal for the left engine case. Can someone school me on how to get the old bushing out?? I got the snap ring out but am having no luck. Any trick you guys got!!
flatboy1950
Bikes: 1948 Pan 61
1942 sv 74 x 4
1948 sv 74 x 1
1943 42U + sidecar with 6800 miles on the clock from new.

Re: left case seal replacement

Post by flatboy1950 »

The mechanical seal is a press fit in the bushing ....
The real problem is that the new rubber seal has to be pressed in quite far to be able to get the snap ring in & then pressed out to butt up against the snap ring : I do not believe that you can press it in far enough with the bearings in place !! Talking about pre Timken stuff.
Flatboy.
38ulh
Bikes: 05 bonneville 79 flh 38ul 69 trail 90

Post by 38ulh »

flatboy1950 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:57 am The mechanical seal is a press fit in the bushing ....
The real problem is that the new rubber seal has to be pressed in quite far to be able to get the snap ring in & then pressed out to butt up against the snap ring : I do not believe that you can press it in far enough with the bearings in place !! Talking about pre Timken stuff.
Flatboy.
I hope my seal is in correct. When the builder put my boxes of parts together (as I watched over his shoulder), he left out the mechanical seal which he called a labyrinth, also he deleted the snap ring. He put some yamabond around the outside of a COLONY rubber seal and pressed it into the case pretty much flush. That was eight or more years ago with no problems but the bike has only recently become a daily rider.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

38ulh wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:17 pm
flatboy1950 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:57 am The mechanical seal is a press fit in the bushing ....
Flatboy.
I hope my seal is in correct. When the builder put my boxes of parts together (as I watched over his shoulder), he left out the mechanical seal which he called a labyrinth, also he deleted the snap ring. He put some yamabond around the outside of a COLONY rubber seal and pressed it into the case pretty much flush. That was eight or more years ago with no problems but the bike has only recently become a daily rider.
All that is holding your main bearing in place and controlling end play on it is the seal and Yamabond. What you think about that is up to you....
38ulh
Bikes: 05 bonneville 79 flh 38ul 69 trail 90

Post by 38ulh »

I'm probably overthinking what I thought I saw, I hope so, but I've got to work on an inner primary mount so I'll be looking in to it. Thanks folks! EDIT this won't be my first panic attack, shortly after I got it running for the first time I took it apart to verify that there was a plug in the pinion shaft.
flatheadDave
Bikes: 1948 G 45", 1969 FLH, 1963 FLH, 1965 FLH

Post by flatheadDave »

Diesel10r wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:17 pm So while replacing my primary chain and such I got the newer style rubber seal for the left engine case. Can someone school me on how to get the old bushing out?? I got the snap ring out but am having no luck. Any trick you guys got!!
I have done this before. The seal is a light press in. After you take the snap ring off use a hook style tool, I’ve been able to pull the seal out and install a new one. This is something you can do without taking the engine cases apart.
Diesel10r
51' FL
42' WLA

Post by Diesel10r »

finally got it out, put in a colony seal but didnt like how it felt. So Im getting a factory style bushing. What a bitch, ended up with drilling 2 small hole into it to tug on
Diesel10r
51' FL
42' WLA

Post by Diesel10r »

So quick question, is this oil slinger supposed to be hammered in or does it just slide in. I had to hit the colony 1 in.
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

Diesel10r wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:36 am So quick question, is this oil slinger supposed to be hammered in or does it just slide in. I had to hit the colony 1 in.
It is a press fit, that is what seals the outer edge. It is normally replaced from the inside and then seated against the snap ring. It is also the outer thrust surface for the left main bearing and must not be set too deep or the end play will go away and the cages and bearing will suffer.
Frankenstein
Bikes: 37ULH,46UL,47EL(80"),65FL,61KH-WL-BSA hybrid,56square4,several 50's BSA 500 singles

Post by Frankenstein »

Rubone, I understand what you're saying, but on first read some might construe you're speaking of flywheel end play. In fact I have had several of the Colony seals for Big Twins need thinning as they placed the main bearings proud of the crankcase bush and tightened the whole flywheel ass'y right up.
I now check main bearing clearance with the seal in place to be sure the bearing ass'y is not proud of the crankcase bush!
Also, in setting the Colony seal recently in an engine, I tapped a little hard and separated the seal into two pieces. A large diameter adapter plate and the smaller lip seal. I carefully reseated the lip seal, but later got to wondering if it isn't the same seal used on the later style 4speed drive gear that seats in the end of the gear on the 1 inch mainshaft :?
DD
Diesel10r
51' FL
42' WLA

Post by Diesel10r »

ok well I'm in a pickle now its out, So Il try and get the new 1 started til I can get the clip in and tap in the clip til it seats. In hope it dont go in too far.
Thanks
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

Do it slowly and gently, it can be done.
flatheadDave
Bikes: 1948 G 45", 1969 FLH, 1963 FLH, 1965 FLH

Post by flatheadDave »

What I did when I did this same job was take the old one you pulled out and measure it’s thickness. I then measured the new one and sanded it down to the same thickness. This way you don’t need to worry about the in out end play with the crank pins.
topper2
Bikes: 43 wlc

Post by topper2 »

RUBONE wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 1:13 am
Diesel10r wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 12:36 am So quick question, is this oil slinger supposed to be hammered in or does it just slide in. I had to hit the colony 1 in.
It is a press fit, that is what seals the outer edge. It is normally replaced from the inside and then seated against the snap ring. It is also the outer thrust surface for the left main bearing and must not be set too deep or the end play will go away and the cages and bearing will suffer.
Hi Rubone . There is a washer between the seal and the bearings on both sides. On the left side it acts as a face for the rollers to run on.
Cheers Leigh
Diesel10r
51' FL
42' WLA

Post by Diesel10r »

I only pulled out the slinger,no washer? And I have a question, if there is only 1 part # for the slinger how is it adjustable and where is it in the book
Last edited by Diesel10r on Sat Mar 18, 2023 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Flathead and Servi-Car”