star hub question......

All Shovelhead topics
barefoot
Bikes: 2007 asve chopper,1981 fxs/flh

star hub question......

Post by barefoot »

im tryin to suss out this front brake drum. i have waht i think is a midstar hub. 2 different spacers, (im told there is a 3rd)the brake i believe to be a 67-72, and with one spacer, it kinda works (some light rubbing somewhere) but the wheel is offset 3/15 to the star side of the hub. anybody point me in the right direction?
Last edited by barefoot on Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: star hub question......

Post by RUBONE »

Welcome to the forum,
Sorry, but I deleted your link. You also should go to the new member section and do an intro. You may get the help you need easier if members have an idea who they are dealing with.
And post pictures of what you are asking about. If there are any more odd links that ask for signing up I will delete them as well.
Robbie
barefoot
Bikes: 2007 asve chopper,1981 fxs/flh

Post by barefoot »

sorry man. photobucket sucks. ill find another way to post.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

There aren't many parts in the assembly,
The axle protrudes through the leg and the shoulder contacts the top hat shaped spacer in the seal held on by the threaded ring (along with the single bearing), the top hat spacer in turn contacts the center of the ball bearing, the bearing center in turn contacts the hub center sleeve which in turn contacts the single bearing center in the front drum (rear wheel uses two) and that bearing center then contacts the axle sleeve which goes through the backing plate and fork leg and clamped to them by the large nut. That is all there is. Unless someone messed with the center sleeve it is very basic. The wheel could be laced offset, a common field repair in the late '60s,early 70s on rear wheels to help the bikes track correctly. Since the wheels interchange an offset laced rear could have been mounted as a front. Not a difficult fix.
The hub and shoes need to be centered in the drum, again a simple task.

Return to “Shovelhead”