1949 WL - Scavenger Pump & Crankcase Breather Valve

All flathead topics
Bikes: 1949 Harley Davidson WL
1959 Lambretta TV175

1949 WL - Scavenger Pump & Crankcase Breather Valve

Post by 1962300 »

2 questions for this subject please....

1. If my bike sits for weeks at a time; it will sometimes sump & dump a decent amount of oil once I fire it up. It will pump out of the Scavenger Pump / Crankcase Breather Valve area for a beat when running. Anyway to avoid this, other than start it up more often? :D

2. If there is exhaust smoke coming out of this Crankcase Breather Valve....what symptoms may this be telling me? Or is this normal? I would say it is white smoke coming from this thin - oval shaped breather....yet not from my tailpipe. Friend noticed it when we were riding recently, so coming out when the bike is fully warmed up. And...it was happening today, just after I fired the bike up too. Not many miles on it from a rebuild; though it has been some years since it received new pistons & rings.

Thanks!
Mark44
Bikes: 1945 UL
1947 EL
1948-ish Pan
1991 FXLR
2007 FXDB Street Bob

Re: 1949 WL - Scavenger Pump & Crankcase Breather Valve

Post by Mark44 »

1962300 wrote: Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:36 am 1. If my bike sits for weeks at a time; it will sometimes sump & dump a decent amount of oil once I fire it up. It will pump out of the Scavenger Pump / Crankcase Breather Valve area for a beat when running. Anyway to avoid this, other than start it up more often? :D
Oil can leak through the check valve or around the flat surfaces of the gears in the feed pump if the bike sits for a while. Oil can seep around the check valve if there is a bit of foreign material on the check ball or it's damaged, or if the ball doesn't make a good seal in its seat. Another possibility is that the gasket is too thick, causing too much of a gap between the feed gears and the engine case. I've had some luck in polishing the seat the ball sits it, with the WL and Shovelhead bikes I used to own.

BTW, when your engine sumps, oil comes out of the vent at the bottom right side of the crankcase, just ahead of the scavenger pump. There's no valve in it -- it's just a tube that extends up into the crankcase. When the oil in the bottom of the crankcase gets to a level higher than the top of this vent tube, out it comes.
1962300 wrote: 2. If there is exhaust smoke coming out of this Crankcase Breather Valve....what symptoms may this be telling me? Or is this normal? I would say it is white smoke coming from this thin - oval shaped breather....yet not from my tailpipe. Friend noticed it when we were riding recently, so coming out when the bike is fully warmed up. And...it was happening today, just after I fired the bike up too. Not many miles on it from a rebuild; though it has been some years since it received new pistons & rings.
If the smoke is coming from exhaust gases, it sounds like your rings aren't functioning as they should, possibly due to wear or not being adequately broken in in the cylinder bores or the ring gaps not being spaced properly. From what you wrote, I take it that it's been a long while since the rebuild, but you haven't put many miles on the bike.

Return to “Flathead and Servi-Car”