1949 WL - Timer Position & Control Cable

All flathead topics
Bikes: 1949 Harley Davidson WL
1959 Lambretta TV175

1949 WL - Timer Position & Control Cable

Post by 1962300 »

Does anyone have the means to send me a good close up of where the control cable connection to the timer "post" lives in retard & advance positions?

I ask as....
I have the Control Cable routed properly (to the best of my knowledge) from the right grip down to the timer. (yes my WL has the controls in the servi-car set-up positions)
When the cable is NOT connected, both the timer & the grip do their movements smoothly & perfectly.
Yet when they are connected, it becomes difficult to actuate travel of the cable / timer.

One suggestion has been that my Timer / Cable Connection Post may need to be slightly rotated towards the motor.
Without seeing another, in its correct position, not certain that will help.

I also need to try and slide a different cable / plunger into the bars to see if that helps.

Thanks!
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: 1949 WL - Timer Position & Control Cable

Post by RUBONE »

1962300 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 7:14 pm Does anyone have the means to send me a good close up of where the control cable connection to the timer "post" lives in retard & advance positions?

I ask as....
I have the Control Cable routed properly (to the best of my knowledge) from the right grip down to the timer. (yes my WL has the controls in the servi-car set-up positions)
When the cable is NOT connected, both the timer & the grip do their movements smoothly & perfectly.
Yet when they are connected, it becomes difficult to actuate travel of the cable / timer.

One suggestion has been that my Timer / Cable Connection Post may need to be slightly rotated towards the motor.
Without seeing another, in its correct position, not certain that will help.

I also need to try and slide a different cable / plunger into the bars to see if that helps.

Thanks!
Is your timer top lubricated against the base?
Bikes: 1949 Harley Davidson WL
1959 Lambretta TV175

Post by 1962300 »

Yes it is.
Pascal
Bikes: WLA

Post by Pascal »

Make sure the cable clip, mounted under the right back cornernut of the front cylinder, makes the right angle to the timer.
IOW; the cable and timerconnection should be in line, both in horizontal as in vertical plane.

Return to “Flathead and Servi-Car”