Super E Carb Float

float or something else?

All Shovelhead topics
1957flhchop
Bikes: 1957 FLH(sold - dumb decision. I know)
1973 FLH chopped
2002 FXST

Super E Carb Float

Post by 1957flhchop »

I have an S&S Super E on my '73 FLH and I noticed that when I leave it parked for several days a little bit of fuel seems to have drained out of the fuel line(they are clear). At first it looked like it was leaking a tiny bit around one of the connections. I replaced the fuel line and checked the connections. But, it happened again. I am thinking the fuel isn't quite shutting all the way off in the carb when it is leaned over. I have had it blocked so it sits straight up and down for 3 or 4 days and it hasn't leaked a drop.
That being the case, it should be a simple matter of adjusting the float, shouldn't it?

I know to most of you this is probably a no-brainer. I just wanted somebody to either second my notion or tell me "that's not right" before I mess with it. I get nervous as heck about messing with carburetors because of my less than stellar record working on automotive carbs(usually have them apart more than once before everything is just right).
Mongrel505558
Bikes: Rigid Panhead bobber, 68 Shovelhead, 2000 Road King Police bike, 2000 Dyna Wide Glide

Re: Super E Carb Float

Post by Mongrel505558 »

Not necessarily. Is the carb wet with gas around the bowl gasket or anywhere on the carb body? Can you smell gas when the bike is parked? If the motor is running well I wouldn't mess with the float. If the level is too low you will run lean. If you see that a little bit of fuel has drained out after several days that's not a show stopper.

That said, if you really want to check the float the S&S Super E floats are easy to adjust and instructions are available online. If you're going to do this, you might as well go one step further and remove the float needle to inspect the tip for wear and the seat for crud. If the tip is not worn clean everything up and put back together.
panheadrider1961
Bikes: 1961 fl 1976 fxe

Post by panheadrider1961 »

Weather condition at time of noticing humid? Tank vent cap not clogged? Cross over line to tank with vent cap not weak and going in a vacuum collapsing closed , Vent on carb face not restricted , vent from bowl to outside air vent tiny office not clogged ,remove gas line from carb place in jar catch gas if suspecting petcock failure
1957flhchop
1973 FLH chopped
2002 FXST

Post by 1957flhchop »

It behaves the same regardless of weather conditions. Nothing clogged or otherwise restricted that I can see. The petcock shuts off as it is supposed to. No leaks on the outside that I can find since I replaced the old fuel line. No gas smell.
If I leave it sit for a week or so, the fuel disappears in the line between the bottom of the petcock until it is at a level in the line basically parallel to the top of the bowl.
Mongrel505558
Bikes: Rigid Panhead bobber, 68 Shovelhead, 2000 Road King Police bike, 2000 Dyna Wide Glide

Post by Mongrel505558 »

If a week goes by and the only problem is air in the line between the float bowl and the petcock, which will fill up as soon as you open the petcock, and it's running well and not making a mess, then I wouldn't be too concerned about it. If it gets worse you'll find the cause. I'd trade most of the issues I've dealt with with my old bikes for that one any day.

What it does sound like is there may be a small leak in the line or the fitting after the petcock allowing air into the line. This is displacing fuel or allowing fuel to slowly evaporate in the line. I know you said you replaced the lines, but the gas has to be going somewhere. If the line was completely airtight after the petcock fuel would be suction-bound in the line with the petcock closed.
Last edited by Mongrel505558 on Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog »

That's why I don't run see-through fuel line. Not to mention that it quickly hardens from contact with the gasoline and its additives, becoming brittle, and subject to cracking and breaking. A fire hazard?

It's just simply good practice to turn off the petcock when not in use, and then this all becomes a non-issue....
....RooDog....
1957flhchop
1973 FLH chopped
2002 FXST

Post by 1957flhchop »

Well then. I guess I won't worry too much about it. Thanks guys.
dontsink
Bikes: 1957 FL, Vespa PX200

Post by dontsink »

What I do at home for shutdown is close the petcock. The engine runs for a couple of seconds before dying. Then I know that the petcock closes correctly and the carb is emptied.
kitabel
Bikes: 1937 U big flathead, 88" stroker, dual port, big cams, pop-up pistons

Post by kitabel »

Just a thought?
The float level, meaning one of the controls that determines when and how the carburetor circuits operate, for a bike under way is...
not the same as with the bike on the stand

If you lower the float to reduce the leak, the engine will be harder to start, the circuit timing will change, etc. generally toward lean.

What the float is doing when the bike is on the stand is different for H-D flathead (carburetor on the left) and OHV (carburetor on the right) engines, so they use different bowls.
1957flhchop
1973 FLH chopped
2002 FXST

Post by 1957flhchop »

kitabel wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:43 pm
If you lower the float to reduce the leak, the engine will be harder to start, the circuit timing will change, etc. generally toward lean.
I was wondering about that. Definitely don't want that as it starts like a champ right now.
Mongrel505558

Post by Mongrel505558 »

I noticed on my '68 Electra-Glide that the first time I open the petcock after the bike has been sitting overnight I hear a faint gurgling sound for about a second as fuel fills the float bowl, so the same or a similar thing is happening to that bike, and it has no effect on anything. Bike kick starts very easily. I don't get the gurgling sound from my panhead.
RooDog

Post by RooDog »

Much like the old Vincent Price movie, "The Tingler", gurgling is bad, it is very bad, and the Gurgler must be found and exorcised. Jim, do you have a local Voo Do practitioner you can call on? :mrgreen:
... RooDog....
Mongrel505558

Post by Mongrel505558 »

RooDog wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:57 pm Much like the old Vincent Price movie, "The Tingler", gurgling is bad, it is very bad, and the Gurgler must be found and exorcised. Jim, do you have a local Voo Do practitioner you can call on? :mrgreen:
... RooDog....
I'll probably be seeing my buddy Ray at my gig tonight. Perhaps I can get him to come over with his python Miles and shake things up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RooDog

Post by RooDog »

Who do that voo do that he do so well?
Andygears
Bikes: 1950 panhead, 1999 FLHTCI, 1987 FLHTC custom

Post by Andygears »

Nobody asked the question “How far over does a bike lean on the kickstand to make the inlet needle push sideways and slowly leak gravity fed gas, no tank pressure, past and over time empty the fuel line?

You have the answer, don’t leave it leaned over far, put a board or block for the kickstand in the garage.

Andygears

Return to “Shovelhead”