Shipping to Australia

Ongoing topics on interesting subjects, what did you do on/with your bike (or other things)?
Pete808
Bikes: 42 WLA
47 EL
47 UL
52 FL
52 FL
54 FL
57 FL
63 FLH
2022 FXLRST

Shipping to Australia

Post by Pete808 »

Has anyone here recently shipped an engine to Australia? I have a motor that someone in Australia is interested in but I hear that Australia can be tough to get things to. I emailed a couple freight forwarders to help but wanted to see if anyone here has any personal experience and can give me some advise. thanks
Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL
1940 U

Re: Shipping to Australia

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco »

It's been a long while since i shipped anything overseas, Australia included. Remember you will be the "P.O.O.". Point Of Origin, think export fees etc. Can be done, it was just too much paperwork for me. Earlier Australia was not accepting any domestic shipments, think they changed that protocol. Good luck Pete.
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog »

I have posted many eBay items overseas via US Postal Priority Mail. Now eBay does all that dirty work, and only have to get the items to Florence, Kentucky, and that's cheap enough.
No export fees involved, but the recipient is often responsible for import duties and taxes, at exorbitant rates, some like 40% including the cost of postage.
The paper work, though a hassle, is still negligible. The thing one must watch is the size and weight of the item. I once sent buddy seat, leather, from a Knucklehead. The shipping alone was a hundred dollars. And then add on the taxes, etc, and one must really have to have that part, or have deep pockets, to play that game.
....RooDog....
nifty
Bikes: 68 FL

Post by nifty »

For complete bikes, or bulky/heavy parts, there are USA freight forwarding companies who fill containers for multiple recipients, only ship when full. Not instant, but reasonable.
One also has to be careful of brakes & clutches, an asbestos free declaration is required, or receiver pays outrageous amount for detection and asbestos removal, prior to release. Its a crazy world. US postal and UPS work ok for small items.

For anyone interested, there is a book, The Tyranny of Distance, about how distance shaped Australia

Nifty
Pete808
Bikes: 42 WLA
47 EL
47 UL
52 FL
52 FL
54 FL
57 FL
63 FLH
2022 FXLRST

Post by Pete808 »

Thanks guys. I emailed a couple freight forwarders to see if they can get it handled for me. I'm selling a dual plug head, dual magneto shovel motor and have an interested guy in Australia. Hopefully I can make it work for him.
friday
Bikes: 76 HD FLH , indian scout

Post by friday »

Mainfreight is a big name down here.

https://www.mainfreight.com/australia/e ... ia#results

Return to “Small Talk / What did you do today?”