FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)
Model 64D (Hey its got 3 wheels!)

Handshift and Sidecar

Post by panhead_kicker »

My wife and I took a ride last evening as the heat started to drop a bit. I began to think about installing the police style handshift hardware I've collected. Going through roundabouts, stops and turns I consciously thought how steering would react if I had to have my left hand on the shifter. It seems to me that things could get downright dicey as the head shake kicks in at times, with only my right hand on the grips, going for a gear.
I'd love to hear other's observations/experiences on handshifting a sidehack.
For the record this would be on a stock 69 flh, using all OEM stuff, but I think the experience would be basically the same regardless of year.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Handshift and Sidecar

Post by RUBONE »

panhead_kicker wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:49 pm My wife and I took a ride last evening as the heat started to drop a bit. I began to think about installing the police style handshift hardware I've collected. Going through roundabouts, stops and turns I consciously thought how steering would react if I had to have my left hand on the shifter. It seems to me that things could get downright dicey as the head shake kicks in at times, with only my right hand on the grips, going for a gear.
I'd love to hear other's observations/experiences on handshifting a sidehack.
For the record this would be on a stock 69 flh, using all OEM stuff, but I think the experience would be basically the same regardless of year.
I've ridden my sidecar for 40+ years with a handshift. In traffic, over mountain passes, and never felt like it was a liability. But most of my bikes are and have always in the past been handshift bikes.
Steering dampers are a must on sidecar bikes.
Larry
Bikes: -

Post by Larry »

A foot clutch is easy to operate with three wheels.
FL54
Bikes: 1948 FL
1963 BMW R50/2
1966 BMW R60/2
1944 BSA WM20
1967 FLH
1968 FLH
1969 FLH
1972 FLH
2009 FLTRSE3

Post by FL54 »

Buddy has a ‘66 FLH with tank shift and sidecar. I finally convinced him to take the hack off and ride it on 2 wheels for a while. He’s had more trouble getting used to two wheels and the foot clutch he’s so used to 3 wheels and not having to put his feet down. You won’t have any trouble.
panhead_kicker
Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)

Post by panhead_kicker »

FL54 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:17 pm Buddy has a ‘66 FLH with tank shift and sidecar. I finally convinced him to take the hack off and ride it on 2 wheels for a while. He’s had more trouble getting used to two wheels and the foot clutch he’s so used to 3 wheels and not having to put his feet down. You won’t have any trouble.
Thanks!
How about steering through a turn while having to shift? Or is that something you learn to minimize if at all possible?
I am less concerned with the foot clutch, as I am with having only one hand on the bars for a couple seconds. I think anyone with a servi or sidecar can empathize there? My damper is in good shape, but does not totally prevent a bit of head shake at times.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

panhead_kicker wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:42 pm
FL54 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:17 pm Buddy has a ‘66 FLH with tank shift and sidecar. I finally convinced him to take the hack off and ride it on 2 wheels for a while. He’s had more trouble getting used to two wheels and the foot clutch he’s so used to 3 wheels and not having to put his feet down. You won’t have any trouble.
Thanks!
How about steering through a turn while having to shift? Or is that something you learn to minimize if at all possible?
I am less concerned with the foot clutch, as I am with having only one hand on the bars for a couple seconds. I think anyone with a servi or sidecar can empathize there? My damper is in good shape, but does not totally prevent a bit of head shake at times.
I upshift and downshift in turns regularly. I've never considered it an issue with one hand, a firm grip, and body English which is very useful when piloting a SC. As are wide bars. :D
FL54
1963 BMW R50/2
1966 BMW R60/2
1944 BSA WM20
1967 FLH
1968 FLH
1969 FLH
1972 FLH
2009 FLTRSE3

Post by FL54 »

panhead_kicker wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:42 pm
Thanks!
I don’t have a sidecar but I do have a tank shift Pan. The area that I live in has gone crazy installing these Euro Trash roundabouts. You usually have to downshift either going into them or in them. Really not an issue.
Rollo
Bikes: 33-64 hd's and 36 cheif

Post by Rollo »

I have ridden, and still do, hand shift bikes for decades and Robbie is spot on. I had a 66 DC Police bike with SC for years and no problems.

Rollo
panhead_kicker
Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)

Post by panhead_kicker »

Probably a note to my future self, but I put a new front tire on this summer. Steering effort, in turns especially, has gone way down. If i hadnt planned on reworking the top end this winter, I'd have gone for the handshift install.
Maybe I'll get ambitious...
FL54
1963 BMW R50/2
1966 BMW R60/2
1944 BSA WM20
1967 FLH
1968 FLH
1969 FLH
1972 FLH
2009 FLTRSE3

Post by FL54 »

Whatever and whenever you decide to do it, you’ll get used to it in short order. Last winter’s project was a 1944 BSA WM20. Shifter on the right, rear brake on the left. Shift pattern 1 up, 3 down. Now that’s cause for confusion. Approaching a stop sign I sometimes upshift as I think I’m using the rear brake. Brits definitely Jane their own way of doing things.
Mongrel505558
Bikes: Rigid Panhead bobber, 68 Shovelhead, 2000 Road King Police bike, 2000 Dyna Wide Glide

Post by Mongrel505558 »

FL54 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:17 pm Whatever and whenever you decide to do it, you’ll get used to it in short order. Last winter’s project was a 1944 BSA WM20. Shifter on the right, rear brake on the left. Shift pattern 1 up, 3 down. Now that’s cause for confusion. Approaching a stop sign I sometimes upshift as I think I’m using the rear brake. Brits definitely Jane their own way of doing things.
At one point I had a Norton Commando with right side shift 1-up/3-down, a Triumph chopper with right side shift 1-down/3-up, an '81 Shovelhead with left side shift 1-down/3-up and my mongrel panhead with a left side shift 1-up/3-down (FX shift drum). Four different bikes with four different shift patterns. Things could get confusing, like stepping on a rear brake pedal while trying to downshift. At least each of the bikes felt different enough that I usually had an instinctive feel for what to do.
FL54
1963 BMW R50/2
1966 BMW R60/2
1944 BSA WM20
1967 FLH
1968 FLH
1969 FLH
1972 FLH
2009 FLTRSE3

Post by FL54 »

Mongrel505558 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:48 pm
FL54 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2023 1:17 pm Whatever and whenever you decide to do it, you’ll get used to it in short order. Last winter’s project was a 1944 BSA WM20. Shifter on the right, rear brake on the left. Shift pattern 1 up, 3 down. Now that’s cause for confusion. Approaching a stop sign I sometimes upshift as I think I’m using the rear brake. Brits definitely Jane their own way of doing things.
At one point I had a Norton Commando with right side shift 1-up/3-down, a Triumph chopper with right side shift 1-down/3-up, an '81 Shovelhead with left side shift 1-down/3-up and my mongrel panhead with a left side shift 1-up/3-down (FX shift drum). Four different bikes with four different shift patterns. Things could get confusing, like stepping on a rear brake pedal while trying to downshift. At least each of the bikes felt different enough that I usually had an instinctive feel for what to do.
Thankfully, you didn’t have an Indian in the mix. Left hand throttle, right hand spark advance, right hand tank shift and heel to go foot clutch.

Return to “Shovelhead”