65 Gear Cover Pinion Oil Hole Location

All Panhead related discussions, questions etc.
drinner-okc
Bikes: 1965 ElectraGlide
1953 HydraGlide
Pan Super Glide
47 EL Knucklehead w/ Sidecar (Basket)

65 Gear Cover Pinion Oil Hole Location

Post by drinner-okc »

a couple weeks ago I installed an Eastern Pinion Bushing in a chromed 1965 only cam cover. After reaming the cam & pinion bushings I was cleaning the cover with brake clean & air. Hardly anything was coming out of the pinion feed hole. The welsh plug has been removed & tapped 1/8npt (probably was ran on a shovel) so I could shine a light down the passage. The hole in the bushing was nearly completely below the feed hole. it was installed with a JIMS tool. Last night we removed (& wasted) that bushing, took a burr and made a short channel to where the bushing hole would be. (a LOT of math and fancy measuring tools was involved).
So prior to buying this cover I was going to use the original cover to my 65 (chromed decades ago but didn't want to face letting it go If I sold a bike or the engine). I had already replaced & reamed the bushings in that cover. I checked my original cover with a pick and that feed hole barely has an opening either.
So I'm building a complete engine to (temporarily) replace the engine in my 65 FLH that has been plagued with issues since it was rebuilt in 2016 (I admit I let the wrong guy set up the bottom end)
BUT, in 2016 I replaced the cam cover with an unchromed one, with Eastern bushings, and other than making sure it was clocked right did not consider the feed might be restricted.
I will report any findings when I swap out engines.

Return to “Panhead”