Looking for heads for Panhead motor build

S&S Gen Alt cases with 4 1/4" Flywheels

dragstews
Bikes: 52 Pan/Shovel
92 Tubored RS Buell

Re: Looking for heads for Panhead motor build

Post by dragstews »

Heads came with what VT loaded them with ... Nothing to write home about ..
They packed the springs for a max valve lift of .425".

Using a L-51 cam in the motor that the heads are pictured, it has a .533" valve lift ..
My pick for replacing the wind from the east stuff would be KPMI "Black Diamond" valves and their Lightweight Racing Spring kit which has a max valve lift at .600"
Also replaced the cast-iron guides with KPMI's 630 guides ...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Kinda wondering if the OP will be running this Mag .. ??
H51.jpg
Generator hole mounted magneto –
Like the H-D factory XR race bikes. Primarily for alternator/generator motors, since the generator port is not used. Bolts in, uses stock idler gear pin position. Impulse Coupled for easy starting with kick or electric, and it looks a lot better than that oil filter/fake generator!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
michigander52
Bikes: Knucklehead

Post by michigander52 »

Mongrel505558 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:11 pm Those V-Twin heads pictured look a lot like my STD heads, except the STD's have a 3-bolt exhaust port. Overall shape is similar - more squared off on the plug side. I'm running VT pan heads now, but with stock pan intake and exhaust ports. The VT heads seem to be of good quality, except I replaced those orange painted valve springs with Kibblewhite springs after an outer spring broke at about 50 miles. I was running an Andrews J-grind cam, which is a drop in substitution for stock and requires no mods to stock valvetrain. I replaced the J cam with an S&S version of the stock cam. Not quite as much zip, but still plenty. The bike is pretty light, with only the bare essentials to stop and go. I have about 2,000 miles on these heads since with no issues. My rocker arms need some TLC, but I've been using the same ones since I built the bike almost 30 years ago. These are aftermarket, but I'm not sure what brand. Do you have rocker arms and blocks, or are you buying those as well?
This build is from the ground up, started with bare S&S cases. I'll be getting, tappets, lifters pushrods etc. 80" cylinders and everything else.
michigander52
Bikes: Knucklehead

Post by michigander52 »

dragstews wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:21 pm Heads came with what VT loaded them with ... Nothing to write home about ..
They packed the springs for a max valve lift of .425".

Using a L-51 cam in the motor that the heads are pictured, it has a .533" valve lift ..
My pick for replacing the wind from the east stuff would be KPMI "Black Diamond" valves and their Lightweight Racing Spring kit which has a max valve lift at .600"
Also replaced the cast-iron guides with KPMI's 630 guides ...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Kinda wondering if the OP will be running this Mag .. ??

Generator hole mounted magneto –
Like the H-D factory XR race bikes. Primarily for alternator/generator motors, since the generator port is not used. Bolts in, uses stock idler gear pin position. Impulse Coupled for easy starting with kick or electric, and it looks a lot better than that oil filter/fake generator!
Now that mag sure looks trick. I never knew something like that existed. The original plan was original style circuit breaker and either a generator or maybe a oil filter , undecided on that right now. I'll definitely look into that mag for sure.
Steve
dragstews
Bikes: 52 Pan/Shovel
92 Tubored RS Buell

Post by dragstews »

--------------------------------------------------------------

Both these motors are sporting VT re-pop heads ...
One on the left is at 87 cubes, on the right is at 92 cubes ...

Return to “Cylinderheads”