FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)
Model 64D (Hey its got 3 wheels!)

Re: Internal throttle- response

Post by panhead_kicker »

70 servi wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:59 am Dave according to "The 45 Performance Book", i should have the Tillotson M or the DC, then it says to get rid of it. My DM looks like a marine carb with the big wheel to adjust main jet.
The 1971 Servi-car parts catalog shows only the MD used from 66 thru 71. It is correct carb for your 70.
The big wheel is the idle mixture adjusment. The adjustle main jet is low on the intake side.
I believe it to be a dependable carb.
My 65 was the last year for the Linkert DC.
panhead_kicker
Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)

Post by panhead_kicker »

70 servi wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:44 am … I have ordered a length of .054 music wire, i think it will glide better in the jacket…
OEM control wire measures ~.055, so sounds like you’re on the right track. In case your new wire doesn’t provide good action, google Bowden cable. That is what this type control is known as. Many sources available once you know what to search for.
Make certain you’ve got the factory recommended length of control coil plastic sheath removed, and the exposed bare metal coil is clamped properly at the carb end. Stock setup is hard to beat.
Throttle control wire 56377-65 replacement.
70 servi
Bikes: 1970 Servi
1998 FLHT

Post by 70 servi »

Me again with an update, due to the wise words i received here, i ordered and installed a #24 piano wire and i am having zero drag, i dont have the gauge at my fingertips, but this worked and i might have also considered the next size smaller by a few thousandths. Next up is to get her back on the lift and deal with the slippy clutch.
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Post by 59Panman »

panhead_kicker wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:10 pm
70 servi wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:44 am … I have ordered a length of .054 music wire, i think it will glide better in the jacket…
OEM control wire measures ~.055, so sounds like you’re on the right track. In case your new wire doesn’t provide good action, google Bowden cable. That is what this type control is known as. Many sources available once you know what to search for.
Make certain you’ve got the factory recommended length of control coil plastic sheath removed, and the exposed bare metal coil is clamped properly at the carb end. Stock setup is hard to beat.
Is this the correct size piano wire to use for my inner throttle cable, for my '59 Panhead with my Linkert? Is this the same size as #24 Piano wire as I have read on the forum. Just browsing through my notes I keep on my computer and want to make sure I have the correct information if I go to replace the inner cable.

Thanks!

https://www.mcmaster.com/piano-wire/dia ... th~31-ft-/
kitabel
Bikes: 1937 U big flathead, 88" stroker, dual port, big cams, pop-up pistons

Post by kitabel »

The 1959-73 G has a tiny 2-bolt manifold and matching carburetor.
The much larger 1936-52 3-bolt manifold is a bolt on, use the Linkert M-88 or an adapter for Mikuni, etc.
panhead_kicker
Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)

Post by panhead_kicker »

59Panman wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:08 pm
panhead_kicker wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:10 pm
Is this the correct size piano wire to use for my inner throttle cable, for my '59 Panhead with my Linkert? Is this the same size as #24 Piano wire as I have read on the forum. Just browsing through my notes I keep on my computer and want to make sure I have the correct information if I go to replace the inner cable.

Thanks!

https://www.mcmaster.com/piano-wire/dia ... th~31-ft-/
The link you provided above says the wire is .055" in diameter, and that is what I measure HD OEM wire at.
animal12
Bikes: 1945 Servi-car

Post by animal12 »

Heres a chart I found with some piano wire specs .. I have a few boxes of piano wire but I can't get to my shop , its snowed in . I can say they are red & white boxes .
https://www.pianophile.com/LI/0453-A.htm
https://pianoworld.com/resources/piano-wire-sizes/
animal

Return to “Flathead and Servi-Car”