Ignition issue

All Shovelhead topics
Andygears
Bikes: 1950 panhead, 1999 FLHTCI, 1987 FLHTC custom

Re: Ignition issue

Post by Andygears »

panheadrider1961 wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:58 pm solution install a properly adjusted regulator on motorcycle that is putting 13.2 to 13.8 volts back in battery at 1200-1500 rpms
I agree, I have had good luck with the Bosch/VW/Sportster style mounted to the end of the generator. I run the charging wire entirely separate from anything else back to the battery with an inline fuse hidden under the dash. I have had a case where a regulator dead shorts and kills the main breaker, and shuts the bike down. By a separate fuse on the regulator charge wire, only the Gen lite comes on and it stops charging. You can still ride home on the battery.

Andygears
nifty
Bikes: 68 FL

Post by nifty »

Andygears wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:43 pm
panheadrider1961 wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:58 pm solution install a properly adjusted regulator on motorcycle that is putting 13.2 to 13.8 volts back in battery at 1200-1500 rpms
I agree, I have had good luck with the Bosch/VW/Sportster style mounted to the end of the generator. I run the charging wire entirely separate from anything else back to the battery with an inline fuse hidden under the dash. I have had a case where a regulator dead shorts and kills the main breaker, and shuts the bike down. By a separate fuse on the regulator charge wire, only the Gen lite comes on and it stops charging. You can still ride home on the battery.

Andygears
Panhead kicker's bike and subject of original post, is a stock 69 FLH, with its stock electric start and stock-65A generator, with stock big battery, also runs a stock 3 pole voltage regulator. Running the kickstart sportster 2 pole Bosch regulator on FLH can damage generator.
Read more here http://cycleelectricinc.com/ go to technical- regulators for generators

Granted, Panhead kicker's choice of possibly 30+ year old ex Dixie "new" Taiwan made replacement regulator, may not have been wise.
Nifty
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog »

Quote from CE:
http://cycleelectricinc.com/

"1965 and later 12-volt electric start models all came with the Delco three poll regulator. Kick-start models with a small battery still came with a two-poll Bosh. The main difference is the size of the battery. The larger battery required for electric start could draw 20 amps for long enough to burn up a generator. I recommend always using a current limiting regulator."
Last edited by RooDog on Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mongrel505558
Bikes: Rigid Panhead bobber, 68 Shovelhead, 2000 Road King Police bike, 2000 Dyna Wide Glide

Post by Mongrel505558 »

I just went out and started my '68 FLH and measured the voltage across my battery at off-idle at 14.2V. Completely stock ignition - same as he has on his '69, with voltage/current regulator and no ballast resistor or any modifications, and I don't get arcing across my points.
panhead_kicker
Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)
Model 64D (Hey its got 3 wheels!)

Post by panhead_kicker »

nifty wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:17 pm
Granted, Panhead kicker's choice of possibly 30+ year old ex Dixie "new" Taiwan made replacement regulator, may not have been wise.
Nifty
:oops: :lol:
panhead_kicker
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)

Post by panhead_kicker »

Mongrel505558 wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:51 pm I just went out and started my '68 FLH and measured the voltage across my battery at off-idle at 14.2V. Completely stock ignition - same as he has on his '69, with voltage/current regulator and no ballast resistor or any modifications, and I don't get arcing across my points.
Did you let it warm any before measuring?
panheadrider1961
Bikes: 1961 fl 1976 fxe

Post by panheadrider1961 »

Simple deduction
Was problem there before swapping regulator?
If not back track to last known procedure and start from there
panhead_kicker
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)

Post by panhead_kicker »

panheadrider1961 wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:33 pm Simple deduction
Was problem there before swapping regulator?
If not back track to last known procedure and start from there
I don't recall exactly when this issue started, but the Dixie regulator went into service 2 years ago to the month. At that time I was satisfied with the voltage output, but unfortunately did not write down the value :x . This has gotten worse within the last couple months because it only recently became a "I need to clean up points again?" issue. But, I haven't put many miles on this year...

Anyhow, now the new regulator is installed , putting out ~13v cold. It was slowing ramping up as I let the bike fast idle. (and I flashed the generator, needed or not) I checked the Dixie right before it came off the bike, and got a 15v.
I've got another new condensor I'll throw at it, in case the others really are trashed, and hoping the coil is OK.
IMG_6666.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
panheadrider1961

the dixie worked it just needs to be adjusted see knowledge base for fix and let us know the outcome of how it gets fixed and those of you who have 12 volt systems there are a lot more of old delco,s still floating around nos at a good price hope you get it fixed
page 5i-6d issued 7-64 duo-glide electra-glide ,sportster, servicar , Issued 7-64 Harley service manual
servicing regulators
delco remy regulator
panhead_kicker
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)

Post by panhead_kicker »

panhead_kicker wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:59 pm
I've got another new condensor I'll throw at it, in case the others really are trashed, and hoping the coil is OK.

IMG_6666.JPG
It's time to follow up with this. After replacing the voltage regulator, bike still had ignition issue. Took my time, and with deliberation checked coil AGAIN with OHM meter, and this time found that the secondary resistance (across the spark plug wire terminals) was continuously moving around and would not settle down to and expected 10-15K ohms. So, a trip to the local HD dealer yielded a new -65 coil. After all installed, and now around a hundred miles later I believe the ignition issue is corrected, except for an occasional misfire at idle. So really the breaker unit is about the only thing left in the system that I haven't touched. Its running pretty well, so if there's still a misfire after a couple more tanks of fuel, this winter I will pull the ignition circuit breaker and freshen it up. Thanks for all the help everyone.
@panheadrider1961 , You pretty much nailed the whole scenario, Too high voltage out of regulator was cooking coil, points, and possibly condensor. (I think it may have helped my old battery lol... still using the ~ 10 year old agm Ultima ThunderVolt!)
Someone on this forum once stated "Never does only one thing go wrong at a time" @Cotten aka @NightShift
panheadrider1961

you say misfire ? is it coughing thru carb at idle ? or a pop in exhaust ? carb cough is early timing trying to fire with intake valve being open for fire or power stroke therefore firing and exhaust goes out thru carb . put timing mark in timing hole just beginning to come in view let line on crank be visible at threads, do you have a accu timer tool ? if so place on cam ,turn to advance weights lock down allen screw and set timing with meter or a light bulb wired up to just break points light on or buzz on meter good luck
panhead_kicker
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)

Post by panhead_kicker »

panheadrider1961 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 6:40 pm you say misfire ? is it coughing thru carb at idle ? or a pop in exhaust ? …
Perhaps misfire wasn’t appropriate. The idle is not a nice smooth repetitive beat; it hesitates at times. No popping or coughing. Just an inconsistent lope. Anyhow, that could be crap gas, small leak in manifold , etc.

Return to “Shovelhead”