I'm going to need a fresh top end

Any good top end kits ?

All Panhead related discussions, questions etc.
wagon man
Bikes: 1958 FL , 1950 Panhead Chopper

I'm going to need a fresh top end

Post by wagon man »

I've been working on my '65 and figured it's time to check out the pistons . I was hoping I could hone the cylinders and be done . Thats not going to happen because theres a scrape in the cylinder wall thats to deep to hone out . It's already 20 over so I'm wondering should I buy a set of 40 over pistons and have the cylinders reworked or is the a complete kit I can buy . Maybe V-twin ? I'm still calling machine shops and getting prices . I think it's going to be costly .
Thanks
George Greer
Bikes: 1942 WLA Type III
Hybrid WL/KH bobber project.
58 FL

Re: I'm going to need a fresh top end

Post by George Greer »

If you have original cylinders and If you’re near Portland, get in touch with Dan Baisley

http://www.baisley.com

He did the bottom end of my 58 FL engine.

Mike Steigman, who worked at Latus Harley Davidson in Gladstone Oregon in the racing department did my standard bore original 58 cylinders, they cleaned up at .010 oversize.

It is now renamed https://www.volcanoharley.com

Might give them a call.

I am very pleased to work with both places

George
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog »

My 1950 Panny project had .060 & .070 cylinders, one each. Rather than fooling with getting these bored, sleeved, and pistons fitted, I just went ahead and got a matched set of pistons, rings, & jugs from Tedd's V-Twin. The cast FLH style pistons used modern Spiralocks, and Hastings rings, The jugs were already finished in black. I don't know if painted or powdered, but they all went together nicely, and now that engine is back to standard bore....
DSC02016.JPG
DSC02016.JPG (218.86 KiB) Viewed 981 times
Anybody need a set of OEM jugs that have only one oversize bore, .080", left in them?
Edaddy
Bikes: 1965 Panhead
1992 Jammer frame
43" Custom Springer
1991 Std Case
STD dual-plugged heads

Post by Edaddy »

I just got a set of vtwin pistons and cylinders. Fit and finish is good. Need another weekend to finish the job but I have full Compression now!
socalrider
Bikes: 1963 pankenstein ; 1965 flh ; 1978 shovelhead lowrider

Post by socalrider »

Keep all your original 65 parts if you decide to go with Teds stuff. Original cylinders can be re sleeved to stock bore. Costly, but if you are concerned with originality that is an option. Had a set done 20 yrs ago ,still holding up well.good luck
1964 pan
Bikes: 1964 FL

Post by 1964 pan »

Why not get with a shop that is going to do the work and see what they think. What is wrong with boring out to .04 "? And. Getting new pistons? If you don't let it go too long you still have two rebuilds left. That is what I would do. Just my opinion.
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog »

Pistons are available up to .080" over. I just went with new Tedd stuff because of the local machine shop situation made new parts more expedient since the bike is no longer restoration worthy....
But I still have a pair of OEM cylinders to sell....
wagon man

Post by wagon man »

I talked to Fast Eddie at Dixonville cycle and he can bore my cylinders if the grove is not to deep witch I don't think it's that bad . Hoping I can run out there today or tomorrow .
socalrider
Bikes: 1963 pankenstein ; 1965 flh ; 1978 shovelhead lowrider

Post by socalrider »

Best to have pistons in machinist hands before he does final hone. You may have to let him clean the gouge first then he can tell you what size piston to get.good luck
wagon man

Post by wagon man »

Seen Eddie today , He's Work on my Bike years ago . long before I got it . It's got a 84" S&S kit in it .Were talking about going .040 over So pistons won't be cheap . Maybe I should look for cylinders that I could go .020 and use my pistons . Probably should get new pistons right ?
Andygears
Bikes: 1950 panhead, 1999 FLHTCI, 1987 FLHTC custom

Post by Andygears »

wagon man wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:27 am Seen Eddie today , He's Work on my Bike years ago . long before I got it . It's got a 84" S&S kit in it .Were talking about going .040 over So pistons won't be cheap . Maybe I should look for cylinders that I could go .020 and use my pistons . Probably should get new pistons right ?
Yes, have Eddie get your pistons! Small machine shops deserve to get a little profit from the parts they sell. This is not the time to cut corners and be cheap. He may want to take a cleanup cut before ordering pistons to be sure it will clean at .040. So that means he will setup that bad cylinder twice. The markup on pistons from him will pay for that.

Things go best at machine shops if you keep to standard operations. “Bore and hone and fit new pistons”

My opinion
Andygears
wagon man

Post by wagon man »

I'm in agreement with you . I should have done this last summer , I'm glad I'm back to working on it . If it's done buy next year I'll be feeling good about it .
wagon man

Post by wagon man »

So I've given Eddie money to order my new pistons . He's got my old ones and is making sure he orders the right one's . His fee for the actual work is surprisingly not to bad , around $110 a hole . Can't wait ! Ed's got some problems with his wrist so it my take him some time . Mean wail I need a carburetor and a few other things .
wagon man

Post by wagon man »

My pistons are ordered ! Eddies doing his best to get me done .
wagon man

Post by wagon man »

Heres my progress . Eddie got my cylinders done ! I've got another friend ( Paul ) that was able to help me put the pistons and cylinders together . Now I get to enjoy putting the heads on and other fun stuff . Eddie did not disappoint , he got the job done wail having surgery on his wrist . Good man and a Great little shop ! To bad the guy in Co. had so much trouble with shops .

Return to “Panhead”