Carb woes

Accelerator pump issues

All Shovelhead topics
zman
Bikes: 1950 FL, 1973 FLH

Re: Carb woes

Post by zman »

I swapped out everything in the ignition system. New plugs and wires. The coil (twice). Electronic ignition module made by Powerhouse including it's harness. And I borrowed another pressure gauge today in case mine was giving false readings. 125 psi front cylinder and 130 rear. I want to swap out the carb next but I spent a bundle already on ignition parts. Dennis Kirk has a new Super E without brackets and filter for $456. I just can't do it now. Gotta find out why gas is flooding the carb as soon as I go past idle. I hate to be negative but if the new spark plugs don't help tomorrow I'll try calling S&S tech again. Maybe I won't get the same asshole and get someone who can troubleshoot the problem and at least lead me in the right direction.
nifty
Bikes: 68 FL

Post by nifty »

Hey folks,
No-one really answered the poster zman's question about the precise location of the o-ring which surrounds the discharge tube (tube is item 26 in E instructions parts list)
And I can't find any such o-ring in S&S E exploded drawing & list, maybe I missed it.
Nifty
Andygears
Bikes: 1950 panhead, 1999 FLHTCI, 1987 FLHTC custom

Post by Andygears »

So when you run the bike with the gas shut off, it runs badly until it shuts down for lack of fuel? Still floods as it empties the float bowl? Wet spark plugs at that time?

Andygears
panheadrider1961
Bikes: 1961 fl 1976 fxe

Post by panheadrider1961 »

Mongrel505558
Bikes: Rigid Panhead bobber, 68 Shovelhead, 2000 Road King Police bike, 2000 Dyna Wide Glide

Post by Mongrel505558 »

nifty wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:16 am Hey folks,
No-one really answered the poster zman's question about the precise location of the o-ring which surrounds the discharge tube (tube is item 26 in E instructions parts list)
And I can't find any such o-ring in S&S E exploded drawing & list, maybe I missed it.
Nifty
No, you didn't miss it. It's not there. I misremembered. Got my carbs confused. Been playing with Bendix for my shovel.
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog »

I may have missed something, or this been commented on, but the small blue O-ring goes on the accelerator pump tube ( as is clearly shown in the video) It goes with the float bowl assembly. I had left it off on my '68 Shovelhead, noticed it wasn't there when I had the bowl off but didn't have one on hand. I put it back together sans that O-ring, and it runs just fine. I have since acquired one and am holding it for a later date when ever I next have the bowl off, I will then install the 'ring. But I believe it to not be a critical item , as my bike functions without it....
....RooDog...
Mongrel505558
Bikes: Rigid Panhead bobber, 68 Shovelhead, 2000 Road King Police bike, 2000 Dyna Wide Glide

Post by Mongrel505558 »

RooDog wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:04 pm I may have missed something, or this been commented on, but the small blue O-ring goes on the accelerator pump tube ( as is clearly shown in the video) It goes with the float bowl assembly. I had left it off on my '68 Shovelhead, noticed it wasn't there when I had the bowl off but didn't have one on hand. I put it back together sans that O-ring, and it runs just fine. I have since acquired one and am holding it for a later date when ever I next have the bowl off, I will then install the 'ring. But I believe it to not be a critical item , as my bike functions without it....
....RooDog...
Yes. I remembered that. I went into my shed and grabbed a spare E out of a box and took the bowl off and the discharge tube out to check. The blue O-ring does indeed go on the accelerator pump squirt tube. I don't know if I would call it a critical item, except that I would think you want the float bowl atmospheric pressure isolated from the venturi vacuum except through the jets and idle circuit.
zman

Post by zman »

Success!!!! I got it running. Before I put in the new spark plugs in I wanted to check the valve adjustment. As I lifted the front exhaust pushrod tube I saw the pushrod with about 1/8 gap hanging over the lifter. I'm running solids so I cranked it down until I could spin it freely without any up and down movement. All the others were ok. I buttoned it up. Fired it up and went for a spin around the block. Ride check good! I never thought a shovelhead engine could start and idle with a pushrod that loose. Glad I didn't buy another carb. I was about ready to get a Catholic priest here to perform an exorcism. Thanks guys for all the input. zman out.
RooDog

Post by RooDog »

Good deal.
So, the PR didn't make any noise?
And people worry about "solids being noisy"....
....RooDog....
zman

Post by zman »

Nope. No noise. The pushrod wasn't just loose, it had a gap so I'm guessing the pushrod wasn't making contact at all with the lifter. What baffles me is it started easy and it idled. Only the Harley gods know for sure.
Andygears
Bikes: 1950 panhead, 1999 FLHTCI, 1987 FLHTC custom

Post by Andygears »

Don’t seem to me that this is the whole story. A pushrod suddenly loose without noise, did the lifter roller disappear? What kept the pushrod suspended over the lifter, or… was the split nut on the lifter or pushrod threads loose and stripped and just backed down? Or, as I muse here, how about if the exhaust seat is moving and the valve hangs, that would loosen the pushrod a bit…sometimes.

I hope you have it fixed and no more trouble.

Andygears
RooDog

Post by RooDog »

It is not unheard of. I have had to deal with the same thing, but no more that two or three times, that I can remember.
I do know that loose pushrods are not as noisy as some would like to think....
And a loose PR, within limits, would lessen the cam's timing, less overlap, and duration, leading to a smoother idle, ....
....RooDog...
Mongrel505558

Post by Mongrel505558 »

I'm also confused as to why the pushrod was hanging above the lifter. One would expect the gap to be at the top. To be suspended like that it would have to be either stuck in the pushrod tube (extremely bent?) or stuck in the rocker arm cup (yikes!). Anyway, good luck with the bike.

Jim
panheadrider1961
Bikes: 1961 fl 1976 fxe

Post by panheadrider1961 »

Interesting. Very interesting

Return to “Shovelhead”