Hanging idle at stops

Advance springs

All Shovelhead topics
michigander52
Bikes: Knucklehead

Re: Hanging idle at stops

Post by michigander52 »

RooDog wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:55 am There is a small check ball up inside the small end of the lifter. A paper clip works well to unseat the ball, and allow the lifter to collapse. It should then be squeezable by hand, collapsible and rebound with no effort. I would put it back in and set the preload half way between fully extended and bottomed out, +/- 1/2 turn. Once the engine is running it will fill with oil and be OK. This may take a few minutes.
I don't run hydraulics, but that is the way I did them at the H-D Dealership, back in the late 1970s....
Yep. Put the flat washer back in between the spring and the seal....
....RooDog....
Thanks RooDog!
I drained and cleaned up the lifters and reinstalled then adjusted somewhat by the manual for dry lifters. I bottomed them out and raised to 2 full turns. I wasn't sure what what halfway between was, guessing around 4-5 turns. I didn't have the new bottom seals or flat washer for the middles but did put new top and middle seals in there just to get it running so I could see if adjusting the lifters would make any difference in the idle condition. Well I can say it runs better than it ever has since I have owned the bike. No more hanging idle and now I can set the idle where it needs to be without it coughing or dying. I didn't install the gold advance springs but left the silver ones in there until I could see how it ran as is.
I think I'll get some stock black springs and try those now that I have it running good. I still need to replace the bolt in the advance with the Allen screw and install the lower seals and flat washers so I'll be back in there soon.

Also I replaced the points cam because I was having trouble getting the points adjusted within .004 difference between the narrow and wide lobe. Once I removed the points cam I noticed the narrow lobe had nicks/gouges that may have been creating erratic gap on the one lobe. So I'm not sure if the lifter adjustment or the points cam made the biggest improvement.

Thanks again for all of the help from everyone.
Steve...

Return to “Shovelhead”