1949 WL - Tripper Bolts

All flathead topics
Bikes: 1949 Harley Davidson WL
1959 Lambretta TV175

1949 WL - Tripper Bolts

Post by 1962300 »

Still working on my transmission....

The Kicker procedure:
- Kicker Arm rotates Counter Shaft 180 degrees; then 180 degrees back...right?
- Starter Clutch engages Cluster Gear in the down stroke kick; then the Tripper Bolts release the Starter Clutch at the 12 or 6 position stroke....right?

I have new Tripper Bolts installed (is there ANY measurement IN or OUT for these OR do they just screw IN until they are tight?)
I have a new Cluster Gear (Eastern MC Parts)
I have a new Starter Clutch (one has been in the bike for decades & another one I have was bought off eBay as NOS, though I am doubting that)

The downstroke seems fine; with the old Starter Clutch
The upstroke seems to barely, barely hang up on the upstroke.
(With the supposed NOS Starter Clutch; the upstroke hangs up more more)
The end result is the kicker arm will not 100% reach its stop on the kicker cover.

A) Should I seek another Starter Clutch that IS really NOS or a New one from somewhere?
B) Should I run with my decades old one, that feels somewhat A-OK?
C) Should I adjust the Tripper Bolts OUT a quarter or half turn, so they grab the Starter Clutch Ears more easy / thorough? Do the Tripper Bolt holes get a bit worn, thus maybe needing to add a washer to take up depth?

Thanks!
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: 1949 WL - Tripper Bolts

Post by RUBONE »

The tripper bolts should fit tightly into the case. If they are spaced out there could be an issue with the ratchet gear contacting the countershaft gear in motion. The contact face of the ratchet gear should be smooth to slide freely when in contact with the tripper bolts. Look at the original and repop gears and make sure the splines and ramps are in the same relationship to each other.

Return to “Flathead and Servi-Car”