'45 WL (project)
'52 FL Chop
'76 FLH
'83 XLX
'88 FLTP (disassembled)

1975 Shovelhead Cases - Tips & Pointers for Inspection

Post by Derek43WLC »

Hi All,
I have found a set of matching1975 Shovelhead cases for sale locally that I would like to check out...so, I turn to the experts...
I will look for obvious welds, broken mounts but...what are some of the other things that I physically need to check, look for?
Where are the typical weak areas, areas of extensive wear, areas of prone cracking?

Any tips and pointer will help!!
Thanks in advance,
Derek
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Re: 1975 Shovelhead Cases - Tips & Pointers for Inspection

Post by RooDog »

As far as I know, 1975 was a very good year with no typical weaknesses....
....RooDog....
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: 1975 Shovelhead Cases - Tips & Pointers for Inspection

Post by RUBONE »

Derek43WLC wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:33 pm Hi All,
I have found a set of matching1975 Shovelhead cases for sale locally that I would like to check out...so, I turn to the experts...
I will look for obvious welds, broken mounts but...what are some of the other things that I physically need to check, look for?
Where are the typical weak areas, areas of extensive wear, areas of prone cracking?

Any tips and pointer will help!!
Thanks in advance,
Derek
Derek, just check regular stuff, the bore of the breather gear hole, the cam needle bearing area, the left and right case races for indication of looseness in the case castings, oil pump gear surface. As stated '75 had gotten over most of the earlier issues but any engine of any year if abused or with factory flaws can be an issue. And of course the VIN is the most important plus it should have a matching frame or the VIN # could be on another owners title. The only issue there is that if the VIN was reported stolen for some reason in the future it still comes back to that engine being part of the stolen bike whether it was or not so it will be up to you to provide proof of purchase, etc.
Robbie

Return to “Shovelhead”