55 pan gearing

taller gearing

All Panhead related discussions, questions etc.
Sky490
Bikes: 55 pan

55 pan gearing

Post by Sky490 »

Hey guys...got a 55 with std heads, bdl 11mm belt primary and a 24 trans sprocket with the 51 rear..It runs glass smooth at 40 to 45,,but vibrates pretty bad at 50 to 60....got a 26 trans sprocket on order, but wonder are there other answers?? checkd the mounts and they dont need shims...put some lead in the bar ends and it helped some...does bdl or anyone else make different primary drive sprockets? Any other ideas? iwould like to run at least 55 or 60 without the vibration.......is 26 tooth trans too much? .thanks...
panheadrider1961
Bikes: 1961 fl 1976 fxe

Re: 55 pan gearing

Post by panheadrider1961 »

Is this your first pan ? and 55 is a hard tail frame ,SHAKE ? as to what extent tingling feet on floor boards or pegs or making your teeth rattle, a lot more takes place than motor vibes ,tire pressure ,wheel bearings, belt in this case to tight,rear chain to tight, motor mount top bolt is loose, axles cranked down past torque range squishing bearing load on wheels, tires out of balance, out of round wheel , transmission mounting plate loose, transmission bolts stripped on mounting side, engine square with frame mounts , cracked backbone on frame at steering head or under seat at wishbone and good luck
Sky490
Bikes: 55 pan

Post by Sky490 »

Doubt if anything is broken, not wheels or balance.. Think it's standard pan hi Rev vibration.. Not my first or second but it pays to ask... Don't really want to put in a 25.and then wish it was a 26..if someone can help.. It's smooth 35 to 52 in 4th then gets vibrating.. ..
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

70 shouldn't be an issue with a good well balanced engine. I run my '47 Knuckle all the time at those speeds with zero issues. I can run an honest 75 on my WL. If it shakes too much, gearing won't help. And overgearing will kill your engine faster than anything else.

Return to “Panhead”