How much oil blowout is normal?

Total loss system, but how much?

All Panhead related discussions, questions etc.
gitguy
Bikes: 1948 EL
1965 FLH
1966 FLH

1980 FLT Semi-Custom

Re: How much oil blowout is normal?

Post by gitguy »

Had a similar issue after my I had the bottom end of my 65 pan motor rebuilt. Oil would puke out the breather pipe intermittently. Flow into the tank appeared normal. Pulled pump and found a piece of paper(?) interfering with the check ball seating properly thereby allowing oil to seep directly into the crankcase. I have no clue as to how the paper got there but once I removed it, all was well.

Good luck.
TMIB
Bikes: 1954 FLE

Post by TMIB »

Andygears wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:21 pm So when did the excess oil from the breather start? Or should I ask “What was worked on last?”

Andygears
I took delivery of the bike in January and fired it up a few days after that with the minimal amount of gas that was in the carb. It spat a bunch of oil then, but no way to tell this was a problem, since there was sumping from the bike sitting before I had it.

Jan-March we had snow and freezing temps here so I used the time to work on the bike and get it running reliably. It's done this every time I have run the bike since I got it though.
TMIB

Post by TMIB »

gitguy wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:32 pm Had a similar issue after my I had the bottom end of my 65 pan motor rebuilt. Oil would puke out the breather pipe intermittently. Flow into the tank appeared normal. Pulled pump and found a piece of paper(?) interfering with the check ball seating properly thereby allowing oil to seep directly into the crankcase. I have no clue as to how the paper got there but once I removed it, all was well.

Good luck.
I don't think it would be the check ball (though I did pull it out and clean the tappet screen as a troubleshooting step anyway). The bike was still spitting a lot of oil after a half hour ride. If it had been the check ball, I'd think it would go away after running and then come back after sitting for a bit.
gitguy
Bikes: 1948 EL
1965 FLH
1966 FLH

1980 FLT Semi-Custom

Post by gitguy »

With my situation I did pull the check ball and found nothing along with a clean tappet screen. Only when I pulled the pump did I find the issue.

Just sharing my experience.
TMIB

Post by TMIB »

gitguy wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:49 pm With my situation I did pull the check ball and found nothing along with a clean tappet screen. Only when I pulled the pump did I find the issue.

Just sharing my experience.
Thanks. It is definitely starting to "feel" like an oil pump issue. Probably wouldn't hurt to pick up a rebuild kit and refresh it regardless.

My buddy is starting to refer to my bike as "the Panhead of Theseus" in reference to this: https://open.library.okstate.edu/introp ... f-theseus/
TMIB

Post by TMIB »

Update: No idea what was wrong with the oil pump but a replacement pump seems to have taken care of the problem. I installed it this week and after confirming I had oil flow back to the tank, I took it for a ride to work this morning. A few drops came out of the breather after idling last night (could have been a bit in the sump from sitting), and none after riding to work this morning. Previously this would have been about a cup of oil or so!
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog »

Can you give details on your "replacement" oil pump. New aftermarket, used AM, or just another OEM pump?
Looking forward to what you used.....
Pictures would be nice, too....
....RooDog....
TMIB

Post by TMIB »

RooDog wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:27 pm Can you give details on your "replacement" oil pump. New aftermarket, used AM, or just another OEM pump?
....RooDog....
New aftermarket/replica: https://www.justpanhead.com/shop/replic ... ssembly-4/
VT No: 12-9931
RooDog

Post by RooDog »

TMIB wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 7:03 pm
RooDog wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:27 pm Can you give details on your "replacement" oil pump. New aftermarket, used AM, or just another OEM pump?
....RooDog....
New aftermarket/replica: https://www.justpanhead.com/shop/replic ... ssembly-4/
VT No: 12-9931
Just so you'll know, that is a V-Twin pump, #12-9931
Just Panheads lists lots of Tedd's stuff....
Glad it is working for you, something many of us would like to know that Tedd is often OK....
....RooDog....
TMIB

Post by TMIB »

RooDog wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 10:41 pm

Just so you'll know, that is a V-Twin pump, #12-9931
Just Panheads lists lots of Tedd's stuff....
Glad it is working for you, something many of us would like to know that Tedd is often OK....
....RooDog....
Yep. My assumption is that Justpanhead.com does dropship stuff with a number of different companies. Stuff I have ordered from them comes directly from whichever factory the item is from. They give the manufacturer part number in their listings too, which makes it clear what company stuff comes from. I like being able to shop a number of different manufacturers from one site, and they seem to process the orders very quickly.

We'll see how well the pump does over time, but it certainly passed day #1 with flying colors.
RooDog

Post by RooDog »

I have been a V-twin dealer for years mostly using their products to fix bikes I have been working on. I never tout their stuff, and not much of any body else's for that matter, but as a whole I have been satisfied with their service and what they offer.
Your oil pump is a fairly simple, and more importantly, stout, piece of equipment. It is iron, is it not, and not some mystery soft alloy? If it is good from the jump, I see no reason why it won't give you years, and thousands of miles of service...
....RooDog....

Return to “Panhead”