How much oil blowout is normal?

Total loss system, but how much?

All Panhead related discussions, questions etc.
TMIB
Bikes: 1954 FLE

How much oil blowout is normal?

Post by TMIB »

I'm curious from some of the more experienced folks here- how much oil loss out the crankcase breather is normal? I'm aware it is a total loss system, but I've not really heard anyone say how much to expect. Obviously if a bike has sat a while, then sumping can be an issue, but I'm talking about normal use.

For example, in the video here, my bike has been idling a couple of minutes after startup. It was taken on a 14 mile drive a few hours before this video was taken, so sumping a significant amount should not be an issue.

Is the amount of oil coming out the breather normal here? Note that the bike is running a belt primary, so the breather just goes to ground, not to the primary first like it would with a chain primary.

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: How much oil blowout is normal?

Post by RUBONE »

TMIB wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:46 pm I'm curious from some of the more experienced folks here- how much oil loss out the crankcase breather is normal? I'm aware it is a total loss system, but I've not really heard anyone say how much to expect. Obviously if a bike has sat a while, then sumping can be an issue, but I'm talking about normal use.

For example, in the video here, my bike has been idling a couple of minutes after startup. It was taken on a 14 mile drive a few hours before this video was taken, so sumping a significant amount should not be an issue.

Is the amount of oil coming out the breather normal here? Note that the bike is running a belt primary, so the breather just goes to ground, not to the primary first like it would with a chain primary.

First off, it is NOT a total loss system. There should be a minimal amount of oil coming out of the breather. The chain oiler is also routed into the breather and needs to be adjusted for just enough to keep the chain slightly wet but not drenched. I cannot see your video.
TMIB

Post by TMIB »

RUBONE wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:27 pm First off, it is NOT a total loss system. There should be a minimal amount of oil coming out of the breather. The chain oiler is also routed into the breather and needs to be adjusted for just enough to keep the chain slightly wet but not drenched. I cannot see your video.
Here's a link to the video, maybe this will work for you? https://i.imgur.com/ycAGFfX.mp4

For chain oiler, do you mean the optional rear chain oiler (https://www.hydra-glide.net/phpBB3/app. ... ticle?k=47) or do you mean the primary chain? As I mentioned, this bike has a belt primary, so no primary chain oiler.

It looks to me like the line going into the primary that would normally be for the chain oiler is just capped, and just before it a drain line is teed off of it, so no adjustment available.

Here is a photo looking down between the primary and engine:
SZ0Oc3F.jpg
SZ0Oc3F.jpg (68.22 KiB) Viewed 181 times

You can see the tubing coming off the tee connecting the engine to the primary, it's zip tied to the frame on the bottom and dumps on the ground. I didn't take a photo of the capped side of the tee, but when I was in the primary recently to change the clutch I confirmed that it is indeed capped off.
TMIB

Post by TMIB »

Also: I note that I do still have the primary chain oiler adjusting screw on the oil pump. How much can I safely turn it down without causing problems? My understanding is that none of what goes through there goes to the top end, right? If I am understanding the diagrams correctly, I should be able to shut it off completely there, and then what comes out will just be from the actual crankcase breather, no additional oil coming out from the oil pump to what would have been the primary oiler.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

TMIB wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:00 pm Also: I note that I do still have the primary chain oiler adjusting screw on the oil pump. How much can I safely turn it down without causing problems? My understanding is that none of what goes through there goes to the top end, right? If I am understanding the diagrams correctly, I should be able to shut it off completely there, and then what comes out will just be from the actual crankcase breather, no additional oil coming out from the oil pump to what would have been the primary oiler.
It has a tapered needle like a carb. turn it in until it lightly seats and it will kill the oil feed. Don't crank it down, you can crack the pump.
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog »

This is the front chain oiler adjuster Robbie spoke of. It needs to be closed if running a front belt drive, but not too tight as awful things are subject to happen....
....RooDog....
DSC01659.JPG
DSC01659.JPG (177.54 KiB) Viewed 584 times
TMIB

Post by TMIB »

Thanks. That oil adjuster screw on mine was not fully seated. I've snugged it up now, we'll see how much of a difference it makes when I fire it up again!
TMIB

Post by TMIB »

I ran it today to tune the idle speed and mixture, and was happy to see that I no longer have a bunch of oil spewing out the breather tube!
TMIB

Post by TMIB »

Looks like I spoke too soon. Made the half-hour ride into work today and after stopping about a half-cup of oil drained out. There's also an oil trail leading in to where I stopped. Seems a bit more than I would expect.
TMIB

Post by TMIB »

After driving home, I found the bike continuing to spit a lot of oil out the breather tube at idle, and there's trails all over my driveway where I pulled in and out of the garage today.

Not sure where to troubleshoot here, I'm wondering if an oil pump rebuild is in order.
I double-checked the chain oiler screw, removing it and re-seating after ensuring no debris was in the hole.
I removed and cleaned the tappet oil screen, ensuring the check ball was present.
Did a compression check and got 87psi rear and 90 front. Did not do a leak down test as I don't have the setup for that.

Any suggestions as to what to check next?
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog »

Sounds like the bottom end is flooding. Is oil returning to the tank?
Last edited by RooDog on Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
panhead_kicker
Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)
Model 64D (Hey its got 3 wheels!)

Post by panhead_kicker »

Remove the chain oiler screw to make sure it is indeed tapered to a point, and not just a plug. Maybe snap a picture to post.
TMIB

Post by TMIB »

panhead_kicker wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:16 pm Remove the chain oiler screw to make sure it is indeed tapered to a point, and not just a plug. Maybe snap a picture to post.
Here it is:

TMIB

Post by TMIB »

RooDog wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 3:07 pm Sounds like the bottom end is flooding. Is oil returning to the tank?
With the engine idling I can look into the tank and see a steady stream of oil coming from the return line off the filter back to the tank.
Andygears
Bikes: 1950 panhead, 1999 FLHTCI, 1987 FLHTC custom

Post by Andygears »

So when did the excess oil from the breather start? Or should I ask “What was worked on last?”

Andygears

Return to “Panhead”