Insurance for long US trip

General topics, not related to any other category
OneHandDuo
Bikes: 1964 Panhead Duo Glide
1972 Airhead R75/5 modified

Insurance for long US trip

Post by OneHandDuo »

Dear all,
I plan a longer trip in the US in a coup,e of years eg from May to July Savannah - Chicago, then south of Lake Erie into Canada, then from the North back into the US to Sturgis, then from mid-August following the Oregon trail to the Pacific Coast, and down the California Coast to the tip of Baja California, then in October across New Mexiko and Texas to the Lone Star Rallye in Galveston and home to Europe again.
That means 8 or 9 months in country, interrupted by 2 or 3 exits to Canada and Mexico because of the visa status.
I'd prefer to ride my own bike but I do not know how that will work with iinsurance.

My European insurance will most likely not cover me, it is too far away from home and the period abroad is too llongs.B ut even if they did, would the US authorities consider a bike with European plates and insurance coverage dduly insured and licensed?

My other idea was to bbuy ua bike in the US, eg Savannah or Charleston , and ask the HD dealer to handle the plates and finding insurance for me. Do you foresee any issues because I am no resident? Or can igive friend's addresse as c are-off address?

Any ideas how to solve this?

Thanks
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Re: Insurance for long US trip

Post by RooDog »

How about renting, or leasing a bike from a dealership, and handling the insurance at that time? A rental might be a good idea in case of a major problem along the way a replacement could be made to keep you on your way.....
I have no practical experience in this matter, just brain storming the question at hand..... Bringing your own bike over could be more of a problem than it would be worth, not even counting the insurance issues.....
....RooDog....
OneHandDuo

Post by OneHandDuo »

Thanks RooDog.
I looked into normal rentals, EagleRider and the like. Rental would be about 15k, but in the end I would have to return the bike. AND it would be a nearly new bike.....
I am sure there are cheaper rentals etc out there, but renting just does not do it for me when a motorcycle is concerned....
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

One thing you need to consider is not just insurance on the bike, but personal coverage as well. My wife has specialized in international risk insurance for many years. It is required of most travelers when outside the jurisdiction of their native country.
As for the bike I would be inclined to purchase a used bike and resell it when leaving.
old man emu
Bikes: WLA Mk lll, civilianised

Post by old man emu »

Insurance for the use of a vehicle in the USA is the least of your worries.

Make sure that you have the highest level of medical insurance you an get before setting foot on US soil. Unlike many countries, medical treatment in the USA is not "free". Forgetting about that is a trap many visitors to the USA fall into.
Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL
1940 U

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco »

Triple AAA
Raytag
Bikes: 1951 FL

Post by Raytag »

No personal experience.

I`d start as Robbie and Buddha suggested:
Contact your present insurer and the belgium AAA.
They won`t offer you anything but hopefully pointing you towards someone who should know.

Every other article, post I read on the whole internet strongly advised planning well ahead because the european GDPR makes life extremely cumbersome in the 21st century .

Further I was told again and again:
Do not rely on information which is a couple of years old because many obligations changed and keep on changing. Not just reg the USA.

In order to operate a vehicle on US public roads, in most states you must have a 3rd party insurance which covers everything and therefore you
need a residential address within the USA
This is where some US-based insurances/agents/brokers jump in.

Progressive.com and motorcycleexpress.com are some of the big players and always mentioned but since the European Union wants to teach the world how to behave you maybe cannot access their sites anymore with an european internet address.
Back to letter and pen.
No I`m not kidding.
Apparently motorcycleexpress.com offers the whole package but it is supposed to be pricey.
You should mention your plan for border hopping because I heard .... that those insurances don`t like that idea at all because you need a residential address in every country you travel to with your us-based insurance (for non-us citizens)

BTW, every time i want to avoid Sunday chores I`m looking up the HUBB for future dream rides and the search function is working splendid
https://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/ ... rica-96022
https://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hubb/ ... an-58648-7

May my envy be with you
ray
OneHandDuo

Post by OneHandDuo »

Dank Dir, Raytag, and thank you to you all for your input.
Lots of good leads that I will follow up, thank god it is only in a few years that we will go....
Have good sunday, all.....
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

progressive.com and motorcycleexpress.com are some of the big players and always mentioned but since the European Union wants to teach the world how to behave you maybe cannot access their sites anymore with an european internet address.
Why would they do that? Those sites can be reached.
chuckthebeatertruck
Bikes: 46 UL
59 XLH
69 SS350

Post by chuckthebeatertruck »

I lived off and in between the UK and US for many years. I did not have a US address for years and when I was back in the states, I had zero issue on mu UK license and zero issue on insurance. I took many trips during that time, but had a US passport so no visa issues to contend with.

All major insurance carriers in the US deal with this more than folks realize.

https://www.statefarm.com/simple-insigh ... gn-drivers

Realize that if you ride a classic Harley into mexico you may not get it back out.
chuckthebeatertruck
Bikes: 46 UL
59 XLH
69 SS350

Post by chuckthebeatertruck »

A quick search popped this article:

https://www.caranddriver.com/car-insura ... oreigners/
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Post by 59Panman »

I use Haggerty, dropped State Farm, Progressive. Progressive more than doubled in price.
OneHandDuo

Post by OneHandDuo »

chuckthebeatertruck wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:27 pm
Realize that if you ride a classic Harley into mexico you may not get it back out.
Hi Chuck, you mean because of it being stolen, or because of any other reason?

Return to “General topics”