1968 FLH Lower Fork Bracket Part Number

45705-48 not in Parts Catalog

All Shovelhead topics
Mongrel505558
Bikes: Rigid Panhead bobber, 68 Shovelhead, 2000 Road King Police bike, 2000 Dyna Wide Glide

1968 FLH Lower Fork Bracket Part Number

Post by Mongrel505558 »

The lower fork bracket on my '68 Electra-Glide has the number 45705-48 clear as day. It's a non-adjustable front end. I've been checking all the part numbers I encounter against the factory 1958 to 1968 Parts Catalog as I strip this bike down, and this number is nowhere to be found. However; an internet search of the part number brings me right to the lower fork bracket I have. My understanding is that the MoCo included the year a part was introduced after a hyphen at the end of their part numbers, meaning this was introduced in 1948. While '48's had springer front ends, it's not a big stretch to comprehend that they introduced the part in '48 in preparation for '49 models. I'm just curious that it's not listed in the Parts Catalog.

Jim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: 1968 FLH Lower Fork Bracket Part Number

Post by RUBONE »

That isn't a "part number", it is a forging number and does not appear in any lists. See the Knowledge base for many threads discussing the various physical differences on triple trees.
It also does not interchange with an early bottom tree, the stem position is different.
Mongrel505558
Bikes: Rigid Panhead bobber, 68 Shovelhead, 2000 Road King Police bike, 2000 Dyna Wide Glide

Post by Mongrel505558 »

RUBONE wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:15 pm That isn't a "part number", it is a forging number and does not appear in any lists. See the Knowledge base for many threads discussing the various physical differences on triple trees.
It also does not interchange with an early bottom tree, the stem position is different.
Thanks. I was confused because the format of the number is similar to the format of their part numbers (5 digits followed by 2 digits). I guess the lack of a hyphen before the last two digits should be a giveaway. I did look through the KB and found one thread that was similar. No matter - I don't need to replace the tree. Just curious.

Jim
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

Mongrel505558 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:36 pm
RUBONE wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:15 pm That isn't a "part number", it is a forging number and does not appear in any lists. See the Knowledge base for many threads discussing the various physical differences on triple trees.
Thanks. I was confused because the format of the number is similar to the format of their part numbers (5 digits followed by 2 digits). I guess the lack of a hyphen before the last two digits should be a giveaway. I did look through the KB and found one thread that was similar. No matter - I don't need to replace the tree. Just curious.

Jim
There are also numbers on your engine cases, trans case, front backing plate, top tree, etc, that are all the same reason for being.
Mongrel505558

Post by Mongrel505558 »

RUBONE wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:15 pm There are also numbers on your engine cases, trans case, front backing plate, top tree, etc, that are all the same reason for being.
I've been studying Speeding Big Twin's dissertations on various markings, and it's a pretty interesting topic in general. Very helpful in confirming the correctness of my frame, swingarm, cases, etc. Still a bit confused about transmission identifying numbers. I have three 4-speeds and none are the same. I can tell more by taking them apart and looking at such things as countershaft bearings, shift fork shafts, etc.
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

Transmissions are interesting because so much can be swapped in them. Date codes can ID the case, but since so much can move around I have 40s era cases with late '70s gears and countershafts in them, and every combination of mismatched parts. I even built an odd close ratio box once using an FX low gear set and a 3&R 2nd gear which made 1-2-3 pretty close. Tried it in a stroker since I felt the RPM drop to high wasn't that big an issue but wanted to try the close lower gears for street racing. It was kind of fun but went away long ago. I occasionally will buy a mid to late 70s box if in good shape just to gut it for the gears.
The anti-theft codes used on the gearbox from '62 can date it within a year or so. There is a weird gray area from '53-early '58 where they are all date coded the same. Most late cases are easy to ID and odd machining differences help as well.
Speeding Big Twin
Bikes: H-D

Post by Speeding Big Twin »

Jim, in that forging number sometimes a hyphen is missing but sometimes it’s there. I don’t know if its absence or presence offers a clue regarding model year though. Here it is on a tree that may be a 64.

Forging ID.jpg

Just out of curiosity, what forging die number do you have? I’d expect 12 or 13 for a 68.

Mongrel505558 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:03 pm Still a bit confused about transmission identifying numbers.
Can I be of any help with the trans numbers?
Eric
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mongrel505558

Post by Mongrel505558 »

Speeding Big Twin wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:02 am Jim, in that forging number sometimes a hyphen is missing but sometimes it’s there. I don’t know if its absence or presence offers a clue regarding model year though. Here it is on a tree that may be a 64.

Forging ID.jpg

Just out of curiosity, what forging die number do you have? I’d expect 12 or 13 for a 68.

Mongrel505558 wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:03 pm Still a bit confused about transmission identifying numbers.
Can I be of any help with the trans numbers?
Eric
Thanks, Eric

The bottom bracket forging die number is 13.

As for the transmission, there's no letter and number on the top near the kicker cover like my other two 4-speeds have. The number on the bottom of the case is 43705 65, with a "1" beneath it, and the front of the case has "D9927" below the ratchet top plunger. For some reason the pictures are coming out rotated, but that's my ignorance of how to correctly attach them.
Speeding Big Twin

You're welcome Jim. It’s not unusual to have no letter and number on the top near the kicker cover. Other cases however have a lone letter such as D or N while some have combinations like D3 and N11 etc although I don’t know what any of those markings indicate.

Regarding the 1 beneath the casting number, my best guess is that it may be an inspector number done at the foundry. Other cases like yours have 1E or 2 while some have nothing.

D on the front of a case like yours usually indicates 65–67 but I’ll make a note of it appearing on your 68. This ID would have been recorded at the factory but I don’t know how much info is still there and we’ve had conflicting reports on another forum. For example in recent years the factory had certain info about a 62 Pan and a 70 Shovel but nothing for a 66 Shovel. And another person was told the info only goes back to 73.
Eric
Mongrel505558

Post by Mongrel505558 »

Speeding Big Twin wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:48 am You're welcome Jim. It’s not unusual to have no letter and number on the top near the kicker cover. Other cases however have a lone letter such as D or N while some have combinations like D3 and N11 etc although I don’t know what any of those markings indicate.

Regarding the 1 beneath the casting number, my best guess is that it may be an inspector number done at the foundry. Other cases like yours have 1E or 2 while some have nothing.

D on the front of a case like yours usually indicates 65–67 but I’ll make a note of it appearing on your 68. This ID would have been recorded at the factory but I don’t know how much info is still there and we’ve had conflicting reports on another forum. For example in recent years the factory had certain info about a 62 Pan and a 70 Shovel but nothing for a 66 Shovel. And another person was told the info only goes back to 73.
Eric
Thanks, Eric. Since my heads have 66 numbers and my frame is stamped I7 for September 1967, I wouldn't be surprised if they grabbed a 65-67 transmission - unless that's not how it works in this instance.

Jim
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

Jim, if you frame is from Sept '67 it is well into the '68 model year production. What is your VIN number? The new models were shipped to dealers starting in September with production of them starting in August and a stockpile built up for release to dealers after the Dealer Show and initial orders.
Speeding Big Twin

Hard to be certain about the trans. Could be 65–67 but it’s possible it could be 68. The additional ID list I use is only a guide. Years ago I contacted H-D but they wouldn’t confirm what letters corresponded to what years and it was suggested I approach their legal department. I did so and in 2009 I received a response from Enrique T Breceda, Senior Corporate Counsel, who said the info was considered proprietary and not given to the public. However, owners can provide their sets of additional ID numbers, along with their SN and BNs, and ask H-D to check if everything is original to the one bike.

Mongrel505558 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:48 pm Since my heads have 66 numbers
Do you mean on the left side? Casting numbers 05 66 (front) and 07 66 (rear) were used for 66–69 and also into the early-70s. Date codes are on the R-H side as per this photo.
Eric

Casting date codes.jpg
Mongrel505558

Post by Mongrel505558 »

Speeding Big Twin wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:43 am Hard to be certain about the trans. Could be 65–67 but it’s possible it could be 68. The additional ID list I use is only a guide. Years ago I contacted H-D but they wouldn’t confirm what letters corresponded to what years and it was suggested I approach their legal department. I did so and in 2009 I received a response from Enrique T Breceda, Senior Corporate Counsel, who said the info was considered proprietary and not given to the public. However, owners can provide their sets of additional ID numbers, along with their SN and BNs, and ask H-D to check if everything is original to the one bike.

Mongrel505558 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:48 pm Since my heads have 66 numbers
Do you mean on the left side? Casting numbers 05 66 (front) and 07 66 (rear) were used for 66–69 and also into the early-70s. Date codes are on the R-H side as per this photo.
Eric

I meant 05 66 and 07 66. I thought those were the date codes. I'll go look in the areas that you highlighted. Thanks.

Jim

Return to “Shovelhead”