Fuel Leak?

All flathead topics
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Re: 1948 UL fuel tank cross over fuel line

Post by 59Panman »

Eb74UL wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:49 am RooDog: I have to admit I did not think of the compression fitting idea at all... maybe, I think the width of the tank nipple could be big enough to drill a taper, the fuel line would have to be cut immediately after the flare because the bend to the other side is not far from the nut. The only draw back is if I have to take it apart, compression fittings don't like that very much... I'll see how much it cost me to machine the AN fitting and then decide. Definitely looking at buying a small lathe soon, looking at the lathe/mill combo any of you guys got that?

59Panman: If I really could find a fitting like this that would work I'd get one for sure but again take a look at the picture of the tank nipple, it is dead flat at the end, nothing will seal against this unless it is also flat and you put a gasket in between., I have not measured the thread but I would guess it is standard 7/16 fine. I'll post it later.
Eb74UL,

I am saying that you could flush cut the end of your nipple and screw on the adaptor over the flush cut end. The new adaptor would become your tapered end. Then, get the corresponding fitting to seal against the adaptor. You would still need to cut the gas line put the new end on and do the double flare. Hopefully, the gas line will not pull through the new fitting? You will need to check the diameter of the fitting against the gas line?
Eb74UL
Bikes: 1948 UL

Post by Eb74UL »

59Panman: Yeah, I think that overall, the best approach will be to try to put a cone insert at the end of the tank nipple. My goal was to make this look antique as much as possible. A UL in a shovel frame... not my doing! If that is not possible then I may as well just put a rubber hose as crossover and get my pain over! In any ways, there'll be quite a few people pointing out to me that "this is not original"...

For those who were wondering, the nipple thread is 7/16-20 UNF.

Eb
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by 59Panman »

As with my aftermarket fuel line, I can go back to stock easily. My front tank mount busted on me at Dardenell's right at the base of Sonora Pass at a poker run. I have since, welded a gusset on the original mount and installed a custom AN fittings and line brazed to original. Not stock but if a mount breaks, no issues with the flare on the line breaking leaving me stranded.
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog »

Eb74UL wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:33 am 59Panman: Yeah, I think that overall, the best approach will be to try to put a cone insert at the end of the tank nipple. My goal was to make this look antique as much as possible. A UL in a shovel frame... not my doing! If that is not possible then I may as well just put a rubber hose as crossover and get my pain over! In any ways, there'll be quite a few people pointing out to me that "this is not original"...

Eb
Here is a link to a 7/16-20 Compression nut.... And it's stainless so you could polish it up all bright and pretty....

https://hewittindustries.com/product/co ... 20-thread/

Nose picker tire kickers will always find something to nit pick, don't sweat 'em, eh?
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by 59Panman »

RooDog wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:38 pm
Eb74UL wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:33 am 59Panman: Yeah, I think that overall, the best approach will be to try to put a cone insert at the end of the tank nipple. My goal was to make this look antique as much as possible. A UL in a shovel frame... not my doing! If that is not possible then I may as well just put a rubber hose as crossover and get my pain over! In any ways, there'll be quite a few people pointing out to me that "this is not original"...

Eb
Here is a link to a 7/16-20 Compression nut.... And it's stainless so you could polish it up all bright and pretty....

https://hewittindustries.com/product/co ... 20-thread/

Nose picker tire kickers will always find something to nit pick, don't sweat 'em, eh?
The Good Old Motorcycle Co.
Bob Luland is a member here on this site. I see they had a fire in their building and are closed at the moment. Sorry to hear that!

https://www.thegoodoldmotorcyclepartsco ... -Line-3385

Sorry, Previous post was for the compression style. Still not sure if your stock fuel line will work with the tank nipple adaptor I showed in my previous post.
Eb74UL
Bikes: 1948 UL

Post by Eb74UL »

Hi to all that followed this thread.

As usual, I had to do it twice, but it looks like I am almost done.

Remember, I was going to use an AN-3 fitting to make an insert into my gas tank nipple. Well, I had that made but in the meantime I found my old Panhead thank that was so well stored away that I couldn't locate it... When I found it I realized that that the angle of the AN-3 and stock nipple is much different than the stock HD. I expected that but since I couldn't find the stock angle I thought let's use the AN... AN is 37 deg. and stock is 45 deg. So I had my machinist make another insert from scratch with the correct angle. I will put the insert in the tank nipple with Seal-All. If it leaks I'll try brazing it with silver. See pics below:
Attachments
IMG_1951 AN fitting redim.JPG
IMG_1951 AN fitting redim.JPG (37.56 KiB) Viewed 419 times
IMG_1961 Stock HD Redim.JPG
IMG_1961 Stock HD Redim.JPG (29.8 KiB) Viewed 419 times
IMG_1965 new fitting Redim.JPG
IMG_1965 new fitting Redim.JPG (19.03 KiB) Viewed 419 times
IMG_1968 Tank nipple Redim.JPG
IMG_1968 Tank nipple Redim.JPG (22.94 KiB) Viewed 419 times
IMG_1970 Tank with nipple Redim.JPG
IMG_1970 Tank with nipple Redim.JPG (24.65 KiB) Viewed 419 times

Return to “Flathead and Servi-Car”