Springer bearing cups

centering ring

All flathead topics
ldfly112

Springer bearing cups

Post by ldfly112 »

putting together a 1937 UL . installed the springer with centering ring under lower bearing race. lower race setting on the centering ring as it should it appears that there is about a quarter inch space between the lower race and the springer. Is this going to present problems . Thanks if you can help
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Springer bearing cups

Post by RUBONE »

37 did not have a centering ring. If you use one you need the later race with the proper concave base to fit it, the flat base 37 race is incorrect. The race should fit nearly flush to the springer over the centering ring. Otherwise none of the top nuts, steering damper, etc , will work. And if any of the parts are aftermarket all bets are off as they usually need to be modified to work correctly. What top race do you have?
ldfly112

Post by ldfly112 »

I purchased the neck cups and bearings ,race,centering ring,as a kit from V twin. My springer is a samwell which came with a bearing adjuster nut that is machined to act as a top race. a centering ring also came with the sringer it appears that my bottom race which is machined to fit over the centering ring. is not compatable with the centering ring supplied. I am going to try the centering that came with the kit from vtwin and if it does not fit I will try it with out the centering ring installed. THANKS for the advise Rubone
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

ldfly112 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:33 pm I purchased the neck cups and bearings ,race,centering ring,as a kit from V twin. My springer is a samwell which came with a bearing adjuster nut that is machined to act as a top race. a centering ring also came with the sringer it appears that my bottom race which is machined to fit over the centering ring. is not compatable with the centering ring supplied. I am going to try the centering that came with the kit from vtwin and if it does not fit I will try it with out the centering ring installed. THANKS for the advise Rubone
With virtually all those "kits" the races are too thick, the concave not deep enough, etc. Look in the knowledge base to see where others have had the same issues as you. I was helping a friend on his '44 Knuckle with the same issues and had to re-machine the races to work.

Return to “Flathead and Servi-Car”