All Shovelhead topics
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Riverra Primo Clutch...

Post by RooDog »

Fellas....
I am a happy camper. It's Boxing Day, and I got my '98 Shovelhead out of the barn since it's 70 * F, and tried out for the first time my eBay sourced Rivera Primo Pro Clutch. And it actually works quite well after I swapped out the included silver colored spring for an OEM H-D -90 diaphragm spring. The hand lever pressure is acceptable, for a hot rodded old bike, and I can even catch neutral setting still with the engine running. It hooks up with authority with that pleasant kick in the seat of the pants. and I'm sure after break in, after a few more miles, it should be a keeper. I also have both a hot rodded OE 10 spring, and a Barnett Scorpion clutches should I feel the need to stick my fingers inside that primary case again, but I'm hoping not to too soon in the future.....
....RooDog....

PS: This not my clutch, just one just like it.....
I forgot to take pics when I installed mine....
1970-84 Installation.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RooDog

Re: Riverra Primo Clutch...

Post by RooDog »

OK, I did have one pic.
Checking the pushrod travel.....
Remember that with the sealed ball bearings in the hub there is no axial movement. With the stock rollers the basket is subject to movement along with the PR and give an invalid reading on the dial indicator if set up as I did here mounted on the starter ring gear.....
....RooDog....
DSC03426.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nmaineron
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1995 fxsts,1963 fl project in progress

Post by nmaineron »

Roo, I noticed your Fisher comp balancer. I'm curious to what you think about it? I've had one for years in a box in my shop which I ran briefly on an old shovel I had years ago.
RooDog

Post by RooDog »

I have two of them, one on the Shovel, and the other on my 100" Evo. It's hard to tell if they actually do anything or not. at least not without some sort of scientific testing devices. I will say this though. They are solid mount, and do away with the troublesome compensators, which I have no use for. I installed the Fisher because I had it on hand, and never paid retail for either one, eBay is my go to place.....
I would not suggest anyone go out and buy one, Doug Fisher seems to be a shady character anyway, frequently changing his company names and partners, as in Fisher-Terry, Fisher Concepts,Doug Fisher International, but I see no reason not to use one if you got one on hand.....
The one pictured on the Shovel uses the stock compensator's sprocket, with the three cam lugs. On the Evo the sprocket is part of the damper assembly. Both are 24T....
....RooDog....
nmaineron
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1995 fxsts,1963 fl project in progress

Post by nmaineron »

I had it on my 80/80 FLHS and I was willing to try anything that might take the shake out of that engine. I had no issues with it but it did nothing that I could feel so I took it out and it's been on the shelf ever since. That engine was a story, I got to the end of my rope and sent it out to be balanced. The man said it was the absolute worst he had done, and it did make a big difference. I put alot of enjoyable miles on it.
michigander52
Bikes: Knucklehead

Post by michigander52 »

RooDog wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 9:59 pm Fellas....
I am a happy camper. It's Boxing Day, and I got my '98 Shovelhead out of the barn since it's 70 * F, and tried out for the first time my eBay sourced Rivera Primo Pro Clutch. And it actually works quite well after I swapped out the included silver colored spring for an OEM H-D -90 diaphragm spring. The hand lever pressure is acceptable, for a hot rodded old bike, and I can even catch neutral setting still with the engine running. It hooks up with authority with that pleasant kick in the seat of the pants. and I'm sure after break in, after a few more miles, it should be a keeper. I also have both a hot rodded OE 10 spring, and a Barnett Scorpion clutches should I feel the need to stick my fingers inside that primary case again, but I'm hoping not to too soon in the future.....
....RooDog....

PS: This not my clutch, just one just like it.....
I forgot to take pics when I installed mine....

1970-84 Installation.jpg
Roo, you noted that "The hand lever pressure is acceptable". Does the lever pull easier that the stock set-up? I'm getting arthritis in my left hand and am having difficulties pulling the clutch on my "76"
Steve
RooDog

Post by RooDog »

My best advice for your year model bike, and if it is not a 100 point restoration, is to replace the clutch arm across the top of the transmission, assuming this is a ratchet top, and retrofit a mousetrap. That puppy is almost infinitely adjustable, and your left hand will thank you for it.
My Rivera is not easy to pull, only "acceptable", for a hot rod.... I still have other alternatives to explore....

Clutch arm needed, H-D # 37052-65, 1965-78 with aluminum primary, V-Twin # 18-3606. This is the mousetrap clutch arm.

Thank you for the question, Best Wishes, and let me know how this works out for you.....
....RooDog....
michigander52

Post by michigander52 »

RooDog wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:37 pm My best advice for your year model bike, and if it is not a 100 point restoration, is to replace the clutch arm across the top of the transmission, assuming this is a ratchet top, and retrofit a mousetrap. That puppy is almost infinitely adjustable, and your left hand will thank you for it.
My Rivera is not easy to pull, only "acceptable", for a hot rod.... I still have other alternatives to explore....

Clutch arm needed, H-D # 37052-65, 1965-78 with aluminum primary, V-Twin # 18-3606. This is the mousetrap clutch arm.

Thank you for the question, Best Wishes, and let me know how this works out for you.....
....RooDog....
Roo, do you think the H-D # 37052-65 arm will fit between the oil tank and primary/starter. And yes it's a ratchet top trans. I tried to post a picture but can't seem to figure out how.

Steve
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

It doesn't fit "between" them, it fits under the oil tank and inside the primary. Standard arm used on '65-'69 and from '70 up on handshift models.
RooDog

Post by RooDog »

Yes that is what it was made for, The only difference is the primary case sticks out a 1/4 inch further than the '65-69 chain case. Now it may be a little tricky to install depending on how far you tear one down. With the battery and oil tank removed it is a piece of cake. It's winter so now is a good time to do it. You would also need a -65 bell crank for the mouse trap, but a -52 could be drilled to relocate the pull rod stud.....
Roobone shows the correct part.
....RD....
FL54
Bikes: 1948 FL
1963 BMW R50/2
1966 BMW R60/2
1944 BSA WM20
1967 FLH
1968 FLH
1969 FLH
1972 FLH
2009 FLTRSE3

Post by FL54 »

Mousetrap will definitely be easier on your clutch hand. Especially if you do a lot of stop and go riding with a lot of shifting.
RooDog

Post by RooDog »

Roo, you noted that "The hand lever pressure is acceptable". Does the lever pull easier that the stock set-up? I'm getting arthritis in my left hand and am having difficulties pulling the clutch on my "76"
Steve
[/quote]
"76" what?
I will assume 1976, but what model? FX, FL, or what exactly. Stock, Modified Stock, or chopper/bobber? There is never too much information. A picture would help too....
....Help me help you.....
michigander52

Post by michigander52 »

[/quote]
I will assume 1976, but what model? FX, FL, or what exactly. Stock, Modified Stock, or chopper/bobber? There is never too much information. A picture would help too....
....Help me help you.....

Roo, this bike is a 1976 FXE with has FLH tins and 41MM front end. The clutch is the FX style.
I'll have to start gathering the parts needed for the mousetrap. Having issues uploading the pictures LOL
Resized shovel clutch.jpg
"76" what?
RooDog

Post by RooDog »

OK, Looks good, a rider.
It'is up to your skill level, but installing a mousetrap would be an afternoon project, It should work OK with the stock 10 spring clutch, again assuming, you don't have a hot rod engine. If your clutch pack is good enough to hold the torque your engine puts out, then the MT will only help your left hand, and add a bit of nostalgia to your ride. I don't have a MT because I'm running a Sputhe 5 speed conversion, otherwise I would still be using one.....

Here's my take out tranny with 2.60 Andrews 1st, and whatever his 3rd set is....
DSC00041.JPG
michigander52

Post by michigander52 »

RooDog wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:54 am OK, Looks good, a rider.
It'is up to your skill level, but installing a mousetrap would be an afternoon project, It should work OK with the stock 10 spring clutch, again assuming, you don't have a hot rod engine. If your clutch pack is good enough to hold the torque your engine puts out, then the MT will only help your left hand, and add a bit of nostalgia to your ride. I don't have a MT because I'm running a Sputhe 5 speed conversion, otherwise I would still be using one.....

Here's my take out tranny with 2.60 Andrews 1st, and whatever his 3rd set is....

DSC00041.JPG
Roo, thanks for your help with this. I'll work on getting the part's together and let you know how it works out.
Steve

Return to “Shovelhead”