Bike build from junked parts

Title problems

All Panhead related discussions, questions etc.
Frazier
Bikes: Panhead

Re: Bike build from junked parts

Post by Frazier »

You can get a kraft tec rigid frame with numbers and an MSO for probably around $700 . An S&S cased panhead motor is not built by harley and cant be registered as a harley because it is not a harley ! I built a custom panhead chopper with half harley parts and half aftermarket parts including S&S engine cases and had no problems registering it in calif as a Special Construction motorcycle and they put a blue tag on the frame neck . Because it is a special construction motorcycle ! Even though it has a 1958 harley swing arm frame. I went through a buddys shop who has a DMV girl whos profeshion is registuring vehicals , her fee was about $700 for her service not counting all the DM fees for taxes etc. all I had was piles of receipts for most of the parts and an MSO for the engine cases , some of the receipts went back 20 years . Insurance is a bitch for a special construction motorcycle but the bike is legal and I can drive it on the hwys which is all I care about , I didnt build the thing for resale value
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

Then! Then! Then! There is one thing that nobody has brought up here on this topic. Abandon property. My buddy gave this to me but has long lost the paperwork. I was renting a space to someone, and they skipped on the rent. Use your imagination! Every state has a means of titling abandoned property. It's common practice. This is how towers get title to car nobody claims or picks up. It's sort of a pain in the ass but it works. 90% of the states will make ya put and add in the paper of certain circulation that if anybody has claim to the vehicle etc, etc. Most companies use a service for $30 clams. It's sort of a drawn out process but it does work. Most DMVs will ask for a etching of the vin. If that's the number S&S used? That's the one that's going to be on the title they issue. The DMV does zillions of these each year. You give them what they want, and they will give you what you want. Me myself, I'm and impatient sob. It's just one more way to get paperwork and can even get you out of having some dork looking your motorcycle over. The dumbest thing you can do is go to a DMV and tell them you built the bike out of parts. Same thing as putting a gun to your head. Bob L
Mongrel505558
Bikes: Rigid Panhead bobber, 68 Shovelhead, 2000 Road King Police bike, 2000 Dyna Wide Glide

Post by Mongrel505558 »

Robert Luland wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:54 pm The dumbest thing you can do is go to a DMV and tell them you built the bike out of parts. Same thing as putting a gun to your head. Bob L
Well said.
I need to register my 1968 FLH and the Rhode Island DMV won't do it without a previous registration. The guy I bought the basket case from had it for 20 years and never registered it. I'm looking at registering it in Vermont.
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

Ok, here's the kicker with Vermont. 1. They want your $23.00 bucks a year really bad. I mean they're broke. This is what liberal people and artists create. No money. Just mouth. God bless you Bernie! Vermont will give you a transferable reg with a set of plates. In Rhode Island I would just use the Vermont tag and be done with it. You don't have to have a Vermont residence. Even though I have a Vermont residence, I'm technically in New Jersey and have seven motorcycles with Vermont plates on them. Can they bust your balls? Sure, but most cops have better things to do like munching donuts. Vermont sends my renewals every year to NJ. Would I do this if I lived in Texas? NO! (The people there would shoot at you just for sport with that plate). It's only when you try to retitle in another state with a Vermont Reg that is two weeks old you have a problem. If you had your Vermont reg for ten years most likely nobody's going to question it. My next post will be on how to appease state agency workers. Well worth looking forward to. Bob L

Return to “Panhead”