Bike build from junked parts

Title problems

All Panhead related discussions, questions etc.
clunker1
Bikes: 1975 FL, 2005 RoadKing, 1949 Panhead

Bike build from junked parts

Post by clunker1 »

Looks like it does not pay to be honest with the government.

My panhead buddy passed away and I decided to build a bike in his honor. Got his original frame ( junked since it was hacked and raked to 45 degrees poorly), a junkyard transmission with guts all rusted solid, and various other junked parts from friends. Had them sign bills of sale for these parts for proof they were not stolen. I weld repaired the frame neck to original rake, built a tranny with the junk case, repaired all the other junk parts, bought a slew of new parts, and built a motor with a new s&s case. I have mso for motor case receipts for all parts and bills of sale as described above. Then I paid for application for state inspection in missouri. Now they say they cannot inspect without notarized bills of sale for frame and transmission with a copy of the title for the b8ke they came from. These bikes likely do not even exist anymore. Looks like the government has done it again. I can take this book of legitimate receipts and bills of sale and burn it for all the good it does. And yet there are tons of motorcycles out there getting registered that are not even close to being legitimate.

I guess my only option is to use the bike as a very expensive Christmas ornament.
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Re: Bike build from junked parts

Post by RooDog »

This will cost you about $300, but you can get a title, and tags if you want from Broadway title service.
I have used them in the past, took about a week to get papers in hand and in my name....
Now, what's it worth to make your bike legal?

https://broadwaytitle.com/
....RooDog....
clunker1

Post by clunker1 »

ROODOG, How did you come across this outfit? Did you get a title for your state? I read you can also register in Vermont, but then you have to transfer to your own state without a title with the registration. Its sad when you're doing things legit and have to jump through these hoops. It is certainly worth it to title a project you've spent years working on.
nmaineron
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1995 fxsts,1963 fl project in progress

Post by nmaineron »

I'm having a similar problem. I'm building a panhead from a set of cases. I built my frame which is my issue . I thought that I might be able to register it with the motor numbers and it being a 63 would normally carry it. Because I built the frame the state has to issue numbers. I don't even want to go that route.

There is a firm in Vermont that can be used to get title and registration from the state of Vermont. Filling out a few papers and some cash will get that done. I'm still trying to get more info from them, I would like to know if I can just keep it registered in Vermont. This practice is used in the trucking world here in Maine, a former business I drove for had their rigs registered in Indiana.
RooDog

Post by RooDog »

clunker1 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 12:32 am ROODOG, How did you come across this outfit? Did you get a title for your state? I read you can also register in Vermont, but then you have to transfer to your own state without a title with the registration. Its sad when you're doing things legit and have to jump through these hoops. It is certainly worth it to title a project you've spent years working on.
I used them probably twenty years ago when the fee was only $100, or so. And have used them several other times for bikes I had built from junk, or traded into without proper paperwork. Here in Tennessee one needs a title, a bill of sale won't do, and an out of state title in my name requires only presenting that OS paper to the local DMV to receive a Tenn registration & license plate, right then and there, and then the Tenn title in the mail within a week or two from Nashville. But all states are different....
But it is nice if one has OEM Harley numbers to title, after market cases are a different story altogether....
....RooDog....
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Many states will not accept titles issued from companies like "Broadway" who require no inspections or physical contact. Check with your state as to other options available to you (Liens, Lost Instrument Bonds, etc). I build all my stuff from mismatched parts as I have never been financially able to buy complete machines. I toss crap in a pile until it gets big enough. The paperwork can be daunting but with perseverance it can happen. And do not approach the DMV/MVD as the enemy, they are poorly paid and take crap all day long for their efforts. Be nice and nice things can happen.
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

Be very careful of Vermont titles. It is viewed by many states as a title mill state and they will not accept it and you can land yourself in a lot of hot water. I ran many of my bikes there but I get away with murder. I live there. Bob
clunker1

Post by clunker1 »

The dmv was very helpful. However, when I ask the highway patrol about inspection so the dmv can title, they have a different set of rules. They require notarized bill of sale and copy of title for engine, transmission and frame. I explained how old these parts were and that frames and trannys did not have any numbers but no wiggle room. He also could not understand that the parts were junked and replaced like that is not possible without parting out the bike. I don't think these rules in missouri are this difficult on rat rod cars. He said I could try to get a judge to give me a waiver. I think that is unlikely.

Roodog, as my motor is built with s&s cases, am I out of luck with Broadway title?

Are barn find parts on antique motorcycles now considered untouchable even with a bill of sale?
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Post by 1950Panhead »

ROODOG, How did you come across this outfit? Did you get a title for your state? I read you can also register in Vermont, but then you have to transfer to your own state without a title with the registration. Its sad when you're doing things legit and have to jump through these hoops. It is certainly worth it to title a project you've spent years working on.
Most states have a process to get titles for old vehicles.
Go to your dmv office and ask what the process is, be polite, then find a way to comply with their process.
Some states will accept Broadway titles, some do not.
Some states will accept Vermont registrations, some will not.
Find the easiest way to comply with your states process.
fenderguitarleo
Bikes: 1942 WLA "Civilian"

Post by fenderguitarleo »

Hey my friend you do not need a service to do this for you, go directly to the Vermont DMV site download all the necessary paperwork and follow the instructions. They only require that you get the engine number verified by a registered repair shop in your state on their letterhead. You will have to include the 6% state sales tax on your machine as listed as good condition on the NADA site and provide a copy of that. You can keep it registered in Vermont indefinitely or transfer it to your own state at a later date. My 42WLA cost me about $700 in Vermont sales tax one time and got my plates in about a month. I am from New York and will keep it registered in Vermont because my state requires a yearly state inspection which is a pain in the ass. Vermont does not require state inspection if you live out of state. All legal, do the paperwork and go ride.

Leo
clunker1

Post by clunker1 »

Reviewed Broadway Titles and Vermont registration websites. Both now require a VIN. Another dead end.
RooDog

Post by RooDog »

clunker1 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:06 am Reviewed Broadway Titles and Vermont registration websites. Both now require a VIN. Another dead end.
Find yourself a junk set of cases with good numbers, or at least the left numbered case, and use them to acquire a title.
HD48FL
Bikes: Yep

Post by HD48FL »

clunker1 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:06 am Reviewed Broadway Titles and Vermont registration websites. Both now require a VIN. Another dead end.
This is the problem, you do not have a vehicle, merely parts. That's why the DMV wants MSO's for the frame and transmission.

Pre '70 Harley VIN # is on the left case, Post '70 Harley VIN # is on the frame. You mentioned aftermarket cases, once you replace the left case or whole motor on a Pre '70, you no longer have a Harley Davidson.

In my opinion, the easiest thing for you to do is to buy a set of cases with a title. I wouldn't trust any of the title services or even going through Vermont, you do not have a factory VIN/vehicle.
RooDog

Post by RooDog »

RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Aftermarket cases are definitely a deal breaker with many states. I have an S&S cased motor with an S&S issued MSO. But...because it was issued to the original buyer and not me it is considered non-transferable and therefore invalid. Since an MSO is considered a document to the original owner and needs to be titled by them any possession later on is considered invalid (all about taxes and fees). Many states have ways to get around that to a title, but it will never be titled as an H-D, it will be a custom built vehicle not unlike a home built trailer and would have a state issued VIN and likely a frame tag. Both are value killers for resale.

Return to “Panhead”