Refacing Rocker Arm Pads

Can this be done and how?

All Panhead related discussions, questions etc.
Mongrel505558
Bikes: Rigid Panhead bobber, 68 Shovelhead, 2000 Road King Police bike, 2000 Dyna Wide Glide

Refacing Rocker Arm Pads

Post by Mongrel505558 »

I'm not sure if "pad" is the right term, but one of my panhead rocker arms is showing uneven wear where it contacts the valve. Otherwise the fit in the rocker block is good and there is no significant wear on the shaft or block. I assume the pad is hardened, so any cleanup will cut into the hardened surface. Should I scrap the rocker arm or try to smooth this area up? I know I have to investigate why the uneven wear occurred as well.
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Re: Refacing Rocker Arm Pads

Post by 1950Panhead »

New rocker arms, cost is higher to repair used.
Mongrel505558
Bikes: Rigid Panhead bobber, 68 Shovelhead, 2000 Road King Police bike, 2000 Dyna Wide Glide

Post by Mongrel505558 »

1950Panhead wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:08 pm New rocker arms, cost is higher to repair used.
Do you know of a good aftermarket brand of rocker arms?
kitabel
Bikes: 1937 U big flathead, 88" stroker, dual port, big cams, pop-up pistons

Post by kitabel »

If the damage is minor (does not extend below the hardened surface) there are still 2 problems.
1. The rocker must be constrained to rotate on its shaft center to insure alignment.
2. There is no factory data, or easy method, of detecting and repeating the original pad (also called pallet) curvature. Black & Decker, Kwik-Way®, Rottler, Sioux®, and Snap-On®valve refacing machines may have pad refacing fixtures. However, this is not a pantograph which transfers an existing shape (like a cam grinder) but relies on operator skill to form the proper radius with adjustments to speed and angle of rotation, hand pressure, etc. There are YouTube clips showing this in operation.
I've done this by hand & eyeball to Triumph 650 pallet rockers with good results, but very delicate work.
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog »

I tried a set of V-Twin rocker and they were crap, apparently the two arms of the rockers wewe cloxked wrong and wold have required shorter push rods just to get it all assembled. That being said, where would new rockers come from? I can't imagine a lot of manufactures tooling up to make these ancient parts. Regardless of what a vendor might tell you, I think they all come from the same place unless proven otherwise. So, ultimtly, it would be a crap shoot trying to find a good new rocker. I would lean toward used OEM rockers from wherever you can find them.
Or else polish the offending pad by hand with a fine oil stone.

Baisley also makes up roller rockers for Pans but they are pricey @ $455 a set....

http://baisley.com/rocker_service.htm

ghostrider
Bikes: 1981 FLH
Upcoming Panhead project

Post by ghostrider »

When I sent my aftermarket arms to Baisley for roller conversion they got back to me and said one of the arms was junk, I forget why, but they replaced it with a known good arm and then did the conversion. It looked fine to me, but there must have been something off with it. So they must have some source for decent aftermarket arms? Maybe give them a call?
kitabel
Bikes: 1937 U big flathead, 88" stroker, dual port, big cams, pop-up pistons

Post by kitabel »

50+ years ago, Harry and Mardo (Bronx NY) modified pan rockers for better geo, but no details as to what was done.
Anyone know?

Return to “Panhead”