Will the real captain america plese stand up.

All Panhead related discussions, questions etc.
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Will the real captain america plese stand up.

Post by 1950Panhead »

For $750k you can own two of the bikes used in the easy rider film.
There has been controversy what happened to the bikes used in the movie, perhaps these were, hopefully the owner has proof.
I have no interest in this sort of thing, there are guys with big piles of money that may.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/403226558261?h ... SwHv9hZOEp
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Re: Will the real captain america plese stand up.

Post by panhead »

Picture:
captain america.jpg
captain america.jpg (235.98 KiB) Viewed 1479 times
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

There are several out in the world, even with "Certificates of Authenticity". Here is a pic of the one I was involved in many years ago. I've told its story here before.
Attachments
rodent_ez.jpg
rodent_ez.jpg (174.52 KiB) Viewed 1464 times
droptopford
Bikes: ...
48 EL
57 FLH
78 FLH
86 FXST
98 ROAD KING
66 Honda CL 160 Scrambler

Post by droptopford »

Yeah I saw that ad when it popped up yesterday and wondered the same. I've heard lots of stories about those two bikes and don't know what to believe. I've heard that there were at least two Captain America bikes used for filming and the same for the Billie bike. Also heard they were destroyed or their whereabouts was unknown. Might all be B.S. Seems like I remember Chris Haynes had some connection/knowledge of the real story.

The ad says that the whole collection is up for sale and that it won't be broken up. So that means the two Panheads, the extra parts and all of that stuff shown on the display stage.?. And the authenticity of the collection is certified by Peter Fonda himself.?. I have no interest in it, but I'd think that collection must have a pretty high value for some 'deep-pocket' collector. But three quarters of a million???

Edit: Thanks Robbie. Just saw your reply.

Edit: Now I'm gonna have to go unroll my old posters and check if Straight-Leg or Wishbone...
1950Panhead

Post by 1950Panhead »

Robbie,
A "Certificate of Authenticity" means nothing.
Some guy may have asked Peter Fonda for an autograph late one night in a bar.
You need photos from when Dean Lanza built the bikes and a complete chain of ownership of the bikes with no gaps.
The ebay listing indicates the seller has proof, I have no interest in stuff like this, any interested buyer better verity these are the bikes from the movie, maybe Mach IV will buy them.
Captain america parts for sale !, frame $1 million, engine $500k, left turnbuckle $45k.
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

1950Panhead wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:52 pm Robbie,
You need photos from when Dean Lanza built the bikes and a complete chain of ownership of the bikes with no gaps.
The ebay listing indicates the seller has proof, I have no interest in stuff like this, any interested buyer better verity these are the bikes from the movie, maybe Mach IV will buy them.
Captain america parts for sale !, frame $1 million, engine $500k, left turnbuckle $45k.
Dean Lanza did not build them, Ben Hardy and Cliff Vaughs did.
The one I posted pics of was a prop bike used in the theaters that belonged to Dennis Hopper when he was living in my hometown (he had a couple of them in a falling down shed next to his house. He sold it with a letter describing his ownership and use in the movie. I filled the empty cases and gearbox and made it into a functioning unit for the new owner. It ended up with John Parham way back in the late '80s. There weren't any "Billy" prop bikes, just "Easyrider".
Dennis and I had a discussion about it a year or so before he died. He hated those bikes and referred to them as junk causing many delays in the filming trying to keep them running.
Attachments
hopper shop.jpg
hopper shop.jpg (176.94 KiB) Viewed 1424 times
1950Panhead

Post by 1950Panhead »

Chris told a great story of going into Ben Hardy's shop for repairs.
Hey man, can you fix my panhead ?
Sure thing, we don't get many white boys in here.

Dennis and I had a discussion about it a year or so before he died. He hated those bikes and referred to them as junk causing many delays in the filming trying to keep them running.
I guess the new owner should not plan any cross country trips right away.
Perhaps he can summon Ben Hardy and Cliff Vaughs from the great bye and bye to complete repairs.

Robbie,
You have some cool photos.
doc9339
Bikes: 60FL

Post by doc9339 »

IMHO, I dont care much about the original bike, because they are most likely gone forever and there are allot a A ------ that want to capatilize on the Americana it brings and the possible $$$$$. Myself, the man that built them should get way more credit than he has gotten on those builds , than folks that want to make huge money on it
Mongrel505558
Bikes: Rigid Panhead bobber, 68 Shovelhead, 2000 Road King Police bike, 2000 Dyna Wide Glide

Post by Mongrel505558 »

RUBONE wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:14 pm
1950Panhead wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:52 pm Robbie,
The one I posted pics of was a prop bike used in the theaters that belonged to Dennis Hopper when he was living in my hometown (he had a couple of them in a falling down shed next to his house. He sold it with a letter describing his ownership and use in the movie. I filled the empty cases and gearbox and made it into a functioning unit for the new owner. It ended up with John Parham way back in the late '80s. There weren't any "Billy" prop bikes, just "Easyrider".
Dennis is looking pretty dapper in that picture.
doc9339

Post by doc9339 »

Didnt one or two of the original CA bikes get stolen and never found? If thats the case, I beleive the whole originality thing becomes way more super thin than it already was
doc9339

Post by doc9339 »

Whats kinda funny and has been lost thru the years was the flag tank and American Flag on the back of the jacket

When the movie was released that was a big deal, and allot of folks back then considered it a "Hippy" and "Commie" protest type thing to do, as mentioned somewhat, somewhere in the movie. Add the long hair and it didnt help. Thing sho' have changed........... Most people that have never seen it might see it now and find the movie boring. Like my 30 year old

Lotsa low brow cultural and protest types of lines and scenes most wont realize nowadays. Like the throwing away of the watch..... The "Man is in the window", and other lines.......

And if you wanna see another scam, check out the various "Original CA jacket for sale" you see every now and then on the net

And for the life of me, everyone remembers "Billys" name. But what was CA's characters name in the movie?
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

Wyatt
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog »

Embedded1631806849829.jpg
Embedded1631806849829.jpg (53.79 KiB) Viewed 1253 times
Mongrel505558
Bikes: Rigid Panhead bobber, 68 Shovelhead, 2000 Road King Police bike, 2000 Dyna Wide Glide

Post by Mongrel505558 »

doc9339 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:15 pm Whats kinda funny and has been lost thru the years was the flag tank and American Flag on the back of the jacket

When the movie was released that was a big deal, and allot of folks back then considered it a "Hippy" and "Commie" protest type thing to do, as mentioned somewhat, somewhere in the movie. Add the long hair and it didnt help. Thing sho' have changed........... Most people that have never seen it might see it now and find the movie boring. Like my 30 year old

Lotsa low brow cultural and protest types of lines and scenes most wont realize nowadays. Like the throwing away of the watch..... The "Man is in the window", and other lines.......

And if you wanna see another scam, check out the various "Original CA jacket for sale" you see every now and then on the net

And for the life of me, everyone remembers "Billys" name. But what was CA's characters name in the movie?
The soundtrack to that movie is fantastic, too. Steppenwolf, Hendrix, the Byrds, etc. One of my favorite movies. Nicholson was great, too.
CC Rider
Bikes: 1942 WLA
1965 FLH
1974 CT70 Honda
1977 XLH
1978 Yamaha DT125E
1979 XLH
1985 Honda 200X
2005 FLSTSCI

Post by CC Rider »

[
Easyrider and PeeWee.jpg
Easyrider and PeeWee.jpg (52.65 KiB) Viewed 1230 times

Return to “Panhead”