W&W Cycles Hydraulic Front Brake

Hydraulic Front Brake- anyone using one?

All Panhead related discussions, questions etc.
CanuckDave
Bikes: 1951 Panhead EL
1951 125s
2008 FLHTC

W&W Cycles Hydraulic Front Brake

Post by CanuckDave »

Is anyone running W&W Springer Front Hydraulic Brake? I was thinking of getting one but looking for some feedback before i do. Here's their link:

https://www.wwag.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects ... ge=!153803
Mongrel505558
Bikes: Rigid Panhead bobber, 68 Shovelhead, 2000 Road King Police bike, 2000 Dyna Wide Glide

Re: W&W Cycles Hydraulic Front Brake

Post by Mongrel505558 »

CanuckDave wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:42 pm Is anyone running W&W Springer Front Hydraulic Brake? I was thinking of getting one but looking for some feedback before i do. Here's their link:

https://www.wwag.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects ... ge=!153803
Anything has got to be better than Harley-Davidson's cable front brake.
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog »

If I wanted a functional front brake on a vintage springer I would go with a disk. For that kind of money, better functional stopper, better than any drum, and there is still a master cylinder to contend with.
....RooDog....
kitabel
Bikes: 1937 U big flathead, 88" stroker, dual port, big cams, pop-up pistons

Post by kitabel »

I noticed that the data did not mention the drum ID or shoe width (the OEM is 7-1/4" ID with 1" shoes). Perhaps they imitated the 1949 brake (8" by 1")?
If I were selling such a device, I would begin with a larger and wider drum as the most cost effective improvement with no added pieces or complexity (as comes with 2LS etc.).
I don't like anything on the bars, it's probably lots of work but possible for the original lever and cable to operate a remote master?
nifty
Bikes: 68 FL

Post by nifty »

70's BMW use a cable operated master cylinder under tank, some go-kart/ultralite aircraft master cyls cable operated and more compact & easier to custom mount than BM, have to size bore appropriately and find somewhere to hide it, but still have good access for easy service, and use a good cable so cable compression minimised.

I have some 2LS hydraulic backing plate assembies from front of a 60's Vauxhall Viva/4cyl Torana car, 8", shoes drop into 49up drum, many years ago half-arsed mental plan was to use on a hydra Pan & hide brake plate under cover made from aluminum saucepan to simulate pan brake (pan on a pan, never thought of that at the time :lol: ). I never got around to adapting brake plate to axle & anchor. Anyone who ever does this must get the correct hyd backing plate, or they will have twin trailing shoes (likewise must use opposite plate if 69-71 with brake on right)

Poor as MoCo stock springer drum brake may be, they are still good enough for anchor pin to distort brake plate, less of a braking problem with floating shoes W&W have used, but misaligned anchor still affects springer fork action. Cause & affect...again
Nifty
Larry
Bikes: -

Post by Larry »

Original Harley linings and cast drums are miles better than aftermarket.

Return to “Panhead”