Charge Rate

Knucklehead topics
lownslow
Bikes: 1941 FL
1970 XLH
1974 Moto Guzzi

Charge Rate

Post by lownslow »

Gentlemen, I have a 1941 FL, 32E three brush generator, NOS Delco Remy regulator and 6V lead acid battery. Checked charging voltage this morning after charging the battery all day yesterday, very expensive charger btw. In the green when removed. Checked this morning with a hydrometer before installing and one cell read fair and the other 2 read recharge. ??? 2 year old battery, regular use. Question............I've read Palmers stuff, original service manual and the KB. What should the acceptable charging voltage be at say 1500-2000 rpm. I got 6.7V at low rpm but as it raised to 1500-2000 it climbed to 7.5.....8.......8.5??? Is it trying to compensate for the weak cells? I'm wanting to make sure I don't have a faulty gennie or regulator, although the regulator I just changed out, Eastern mfg, contact type, not solid state. Maybe I just need a new battery, it's back on the charger and I will recheck tomorrow. Thanks!
NiteOwl
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 50 Pan, 42 EL, 40 Chief, 53 servicar

Re: Charge Rate

Post by NiteOwl »

What's the resting voltage of the battery? Is it the 6.7? . . The higher numbers at high speed look correct as the battery is bad in my opinion. But I was wondering about the rate at 2000 rpm seems it should have been up there already. Anyway I would grab another battery and start with that sometimes a battery can last two years sometimes it'll last more.

If when off charger,bike not running, you have less than that 6.7 I'd say your all good except you need a battery. You have 2 dying cells.
lownslow
1970 XLH
1974 Moto Guzzi

Post by lownslow »

Yea Nite Owl, Will check tomorrow but I think the battery is toast. I was looking for what a normal charging rate would be with all 3 items functioning properly. Say 6.7 - 7.2 or something like that. Resting voltage was 6,3- 6.4.
NiteOwl
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 50 Pan, 42 EL, 40 Chief, 53 servicar

Post by NiteOwl »

I can only and do get up to 8.3 at max. Output. I do run 2 brush and electronic reg which tops put at about 8.3 if memory serves. Sorry not comparing like for like. Your numbers look pretty good, imo, just bad battery
BTW I do run a lead acid battery. They seem to have more reserve
lownslow
1970 XLH
1974 Moto Guzzi

Post by lownslow »

I've owned this bike for 10 years and this battery is the 2nd one in all that time. LA has proven very good so i will continue down that road. I ran a agm battery but it got smoked as someone mentioned they are good for about 140*. Oil tank at 200* doesn't help with that. Plus they are more sensitive than LA batts. Lead acid batts have been around for what.......120 years??? Only real issue is overcharging and battery acid spills. This one was made in Vietnam of all places. HD can't even make batteries here anymore, dayum....
panheadrider1961
Bikes: 1961 fl 1976 fxe

Post by panheadrider1961 »

2 years is about right if you get lucky 3 and that,s taking very good care not to short the battery and keep it hooked to trickle charge when not in use ,and use distilled water to top off. reading your post did you arc regulator batt and gen post to get spark after hooking everything up , as in shop manuel if not you take chance generator runs reverse polarity and thats not good
lownslow
1970 XLH
1974 Moto Guzzi

Post by lownslow »

If I have my info right, you don't need to flash a 3 brush generator. Have never done it on my bike and it has never not charged, even disconnecting the neg wire all the time. My '59 pan had a 2 brush and that I flashed often.

Return to “Knucklehead”