2500mls shakedown ride Part One

Cruising through France

General topics, not related to any other category
Raytag
Bikes: 1951 FL

2500mls shakedown ride Part One

Post by Raytag »

Just finished a 2800mls ride thru France with my `51 FL
This FL is fed by a gaz guzzling M74B with plumber, tank shift with rocker clutch, manual advance and some sort of brakes. Basically a stock bike

The bike incl hack was purchased 19months ago and every single part was checked and if possible reconditioned except the tin-works
Considering, me tinkering on this bike for a straight 19mths and having only 2 successful testrides with each 120mls before departure
and not having to fix anything afterwards, I didnt`t need that 15lbs of tools too often.
But I still needed them, sometimes twice a day LOL.
I didn`t carry too many spares: Secondary chain, primary belt, front + rear bulb, 3ft of wires, zip ties, sparkplugs.
I`m using a V-tronic iggie so no pointer, condenser needed

The idea was to ride to southern France, munch french food, drinking Pastis all day long and enjoying the sun. Nothing fancy.
August is THE holiday season almost everywhere, particularly in France.
Additionally this COVID situation virtually flushed the people out of the cities into the countyside so it was cramped everywhere.
But I suspected that this is the case and so it was ok with me.
Buddies convinced me to sign up with the german AAA but this was a waste because upon entering France I realized that my mobile didn`t work there LOL.

Unfortunately I didn`t take too many pics.
My digicam died on me some time ago..
I decided to use the mobile taking pics.

However, in France they require you to present a digital COVID pass (Tous AntiCovid) when entering a bar, restaurant, hotel, some camping spots.
Once I was even asked in a bakery for it despite of that this type of businesses are exempt from it. Bloody "boche" she maybe reckoned
The result was that I needed to to have a powered up mobile phone to show that I`m vaccinated ... without a possibility of charging this phone at the bike
I was always on a lookout for a power outlet.
That why I figured that this "pass sanitaire" is more important than taking pics.

When riding thru France I never choose the hiways but the small windy roads and National Roads (Route National) which are meandering
thru hilly France.

I really enjoy camping with the bike and with only 3 nights in a gite (B&B) out of 19 days I was never disappointed of the campsite I have chosen.

One night in the south I spent a night in a field with olive trees without tent and even without a sleeping bag.
Just hitting the ground in my clothes because it was so freaking hot.

Deep in the South it was simply too hot. 100 degrees in the shade. Even at 10pm = 100 degrees in the cities.
Apt in southern France. Founded by the Romans. At 10pm 100F ...

Taking a turn towards the north I followed the "Drome Valley" into the "Auvergne" into the mid west.
There it was a 60F only :shock: but in the whole of France weather changed drastically.
I followed the river Dordogne (where the Bordeaux Wine is from) for a while with its famous Neanderthals caves,
Auvergne, a very rural but fantastic region in the midwest. Not a stretch of a straight road for more than a 1 mile, but 60F only

Turning north and hitting Paris before it shut down city limits for combustion engines,

Paris, very last day for combustion engines in the inner city. The Pan pissed oil everywhere, Good girl.

then towards the Normandy,

Omaha

Utah

Blue and Gray

RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Re: 2500mls shakedown ride Part One

Post by RooDog »

In the towards Normandy picture, in the background, that's one of my Father's vehicles, and M 18 Hellcat Tank Destroyer. The M4 Sherman tanks were designed as an infantry support vehicle, but the Hellcat was a tank killer with its light weight, quick mobility, and 76mm high velocity gun.
....RooDog....

Return to “General topics”