1969 sprocket shaft seal

All Shovelhead topics
psantora
Bikes: 1941 EL Knucklehead
1957 Panhead
1955 FLH

1969 sprocket shaft seal

Post by psantora »

I recently purchased a 1969 Shovelhead and when I started going through it discovered 2 quarts of oil in the primary. My initial thought was there was an issue with the sprocket seal. When I dissassembled the primary I discovered no seal, only a stack of thrust washers used as spacers. After reading whatever I could find about 69 shovels I determined I need a 69 only seal and spacer. The only spacer I am able to find is not splined, which leads to the question, what is the purpose of the splines on the sprocket shaft where that spacer goes. Am I completely wrong about what parts I believe I need? I would like to shut off the primary oiler and isolate the primary completely. Any help with the right direction to go and help with finding the correct parts will be greatly appreciated.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: 1969 sprocket shaft seal

Post by RUBONE »

psantora wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:43 pm I recently purchased a 1969 Shovelhead and when I started going through it discovered 2 quarts of oil in the primary. My initial thought was there was an issue with the sprocket seal. When I dissassembled the primary I discovered no seal, only a stack of thrust washers used as spacers. After reading whatever I could find about 69 shovels I determined I need a 69 only seal and spacer. The only spacer I am able to find is not splined, which leads to the question, what is the purpose of the splines on the sprocket shaft where that spacer goes. Am I completely wrong about what parts I believe I need? I would like to shut off the primary oiler and isolate the primary completely. Any help with the right direction to go and help with finding the correct parts will be greatly appreciated.
No sprocket spacers were ever splined, they fit the shaft below the spline. What you are discovering is that '69 was a one year only oddball and was never designed to be completely dry, so you will need some custom fabrication to make it so. I don't recall if the bore size is the same as '70 up but I believe it is. A shortened '70 up spacer and seal should be all you need to do.

Info is in the service manual in the documents section..
app.php/knowledgebase/article?k=445
psantora
Bikes: 1941 EL Knucklehead
1957 Panhead
1955 FLH

Post by psantora »

Got it, thank you
flatheadDave
Bikes: 1948 G 45", 1969 FLH, 1963 FLH, 1965 FLH

Post by flatheadDave »

Wow this is amazing. I have a 1969 Flh and last night I took the inner primary off to install new transmission seals. I bought the bushing with the inner o-ring from a member here on this forum and a new main seal. I’m hoping this ends my issues with puddles of oil on my floors every time I add oil to my trans. So after I took off the primary’s, me and my buddy noticed there wasn’t a main seal on the motor! We both stood there last night at midnight speechless. When I looked up in the forum wtf was going on, I eventually I found this thread. Only in 69! Here’s a picture of the bearing washer and the larger spacer on my bike. See below.

I do have a question though. A few years ago I disabled the oil lines to the primary. Throughout the years after, I never saw the primary oil “overflow” from the oil from the crank. Am I supposed to believe that the oil from the crank will seep through to the primary on my 69? What’s involved with installing a 70 up seal? Do I even have to worry about it? Do I really need to install the oil lines back to the primary ?

Thanks to the forum for being so informative.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
nifty
Bikes: 68 FL

Post by nifty »

V-Twin No: 14-0185 OEM No: 24031-69 Left side engine case seal Fits: FL 1969-1969
is supposed to do the job
Nice arty shot of the bike
Nifty
panhead_kicker
Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)
Model 64D (Hey its got 3 wheels!)

Post by panhead_kicker »

flatheadDave wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:32 pm ...Do I even have to worry about it? Do I really need to install the oil lines back to the primary ? ...
I've put thousands of miles on my '69 with an oil bathed primary, blocked off. Only an air vent left open. I did not retofit a seal to the motor shaft. I've not seen a problem.
flatheadDave
Bikes: 1948 G 45", 1969 FLH, 1963 FLH, 1965 FLH

Post by flatheadDave »

nifty wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:35 pm V-Twin No: 14-0185 OEM No: 24031-69 Left side engine case seal Fits: FL 1969-1969
is supposed to do the job
Nice arty shot of the bike
Nifty
Thanks The picture was in Death Valley a few weeks ago. About 70 antique bikes. It was a great trip

Return to “Shovelhead”