Topics on all other models that fit in no other section
Mark44
Bikes: 1945 UL
1948-ish Pan
1991 FXLR
2007 FXDB Street Bob

FXR swingarm bushings

Post by Mark44 »

I recently replaced the bearing and bushing on my '07 Dyna, so now I'm looking to do the same for my '91 FXLR. The HD service manual describes the steps in detail, but are all these steps really necessary? For example, after replacing the clevblocs, the manual says that you should remove the transmission drive sprocket, and the main drive gear and its bearing. It says that removing this bearing destroys it, so you need to install a new bearing.

It seems to me that you should be able to remove the rear wheel, caliper, and muffler (2-into-1 exhaust on my bike), support the transmission, and remove the swingarm. Is my thinking wrong here?
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Re: FXR swingarm bushings

Post by RooDog »

Just to throw another turd into the mix: The Original Harley Cleveblocks suck, and lead to the infamous Harley "death wobble" which is best cured with Sta-Bo's system.

http://www.sta-bo.com/#/sta-bo-page

I see no reason to remove anything on the transmission other than what is necessary to access the long pivot through bolt. But, unless it is already removed, be prepared too replace it as often it is damaged when driven from the transmission housing. Also, upon assembly, be sure to use plenty of anti seize to assure the bolt does not bind up in the future.
Anything else?
....RooDog....

Return to “Other models”