Correct muffler support tube

Determining if I have the correct support

All Shovelhead topics
clunker1
Bikes: 1975 FL, 2005 RoadKing, 1949 Panhead

Correct muffler support tube

Post by clunker1 »

I'm removing a set of drag pipes and installing a stock 2 into one head pipe (for use with kicker) onto a 1975 4 speed frame. The bike was a basket case and came with a harley muffler support tube that was not used for the drag pipes.
Looking through parts books, it seems these support tubes come in different configurations. Mine mounts to the frame, bends vertically up about an inch or so and then goes to the rear of the bike. I've seen others that do not bend upward, but rather inward horizontally toward the tire and then straight back toward the rear.
As this is for an fl with a single muffler, is my support tube correct?
I'm using v twin two into one head pipe and having to do minor surgery to get pipes to fit right. The location of the support will certainly make a difference.
Thanks
Andygears
Bikes: 1950 panhead, 1999 FLHTCI, 1987 FLHTC custom

Re: Correct muffler support tube

Post by Andygears »

If it was mine, I would assemble the pipes to get them tight and working correct. Then see if your support will work. There are so many different supports for pipes, OEM and aftermarket that I doubt even a picture would help.

Andygears
panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Re: Correct muffler support tube

Post by panz4ever »

Know this thread is a couple of months old, just adding some information that may be of help. there is a left and a right mufller support bracket.

Return to “Shovelhead”