Intake Valve oilers - Missing

Rilpey/Fla

Intake Valve oilers - Missing

Post by Rilpey/Fla »

Upon disassemly of my heads for inspection, I found that the intake tube oilers are missing. They need to be there, right or wrong?
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Ripley,

It kind of depends on the engine, the early pans definetly needed them. They were not actually fully open tubes, they had restrictors inside them and just sort of directed a drip of oil over the intake valve stems.

mike
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

I would use them in any Panhead motor , I believe they are there for a reason. Can't recall if I ever saw one with out them , but hay , who knows .
Pooka
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by Pooka »

I've been told, if your heads are set up for no-lead gas, the oiler tubes
are no longer needed.
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

They are to lubricate the intake valve stem and rocker tip where they meet. Installing a unleaded conversion valve seat and or valve doesn't change where lubricate is needed. Some say its HD's half assed attempt to get oil there , since the exh. is mostly flooded with oil ( low part of the head & where the oil return is located of course ) .Ya have to under stand that there is no oil port to supply oil to the oiler ,just splashing oil, so their thinking is to use it as a some what of a funnel or guide to get the oil there and with that little ball in the oiler to meter or maybe help pump it to that point.
Pooka
Inactive member

Post by Pooka »

fourthgear wrote:They are to lubricate the intake valve stem and rocker tip where they meet. Installing a unleaded conversion valve seat and or valve doesn't change where lubricate is needed. Some say its HD's half assed attempt to get oil there , since the exh. is mostly flooded with oil ( low part of the head & where the oil return is located of course ) .Ya have to under stand that there is no oil port to supply oil to the oiler ,just splashing oil, so their thinking is to use it as a some what of a funnel or guide to get the oil there and with that little ball in the oiler to meter or maybe help pump it to that point.
Can't argue with your logic.
But what I was told is because unleaded fuel has a heat range, or cooler burn, the oiler wasn't needed any longer.
Personally, any slick stuff I can get on any moving part, with any help to get it there can't hurt.
mbskeam

Post by mbskeam »

these are to lube the rocker tip, and cool off the spring etc.....

mbskeam
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

You don't need the oilers if your motor is set up with no-lead valves and stem seals. Don't ask me why, but it is so. I don't have oilers on my Pan heads that Stett built. I don't have them on a set that Accurate Engineering re-manufactured.
The steel ball can get stuck in the tube (although you'd have to run a pretty dirty motor for that to happen. The heads I ran for 35K miles had free-moving balls in tubes, but I guess it could happen).
If the ball gets clogged, the oil drips are diverted to where they don't even hit the top spring collar, much less the split keepers where the oil was designed to drip.
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

mine were in place last time i had my heads apart to remove the rotating valve keeper caps.

i reinstalled the oilers as i thought it was prudent. i do not have a no lead converted motor. marvel oil for me.

john
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

I agree with FourthGear that an "unleaded conversion" has little or nothing to do with the oilers and their function.

It must be pointed out that the Service Manual instructs to always replace them, lest they over-oil.

....Cotten
62wild1
Bikes: 1962 panhead, 1999 Wideglide, 2008 Ultra Classic and a few other brands.

Post by 62wild1 »

Anyone have a picture of the correct placement or angle when installed? It seems they can be moved around or bent, not sure if mine are correct.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

62Wild1!

That information is in the Service Manual as well.

....Cotten
62wild1
Bikes: 1962 panhead, 1999 Wideglide, 2008 Ultra Classic and a few other brands.

Post by 62wild1 »

Don't have my manual over here in the sand box. Had a picture of one of my heads before the motor was put back together and was thinking of comparing. The way things have been going I may just have the whole thing redone again when I get back and before I get it installed.......
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Re:

Post by awander »

fourthgear wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:47 pmYa have to under stand that there is no oil port to supply oil to the oiler ,just splashing oil, so their thinking is to use it as a some what of a funnel or guide to get the oil there and with that little ball in the oiler to meter or maybe help pump it to that point.
That is actually not true; there is a small groove inside the rocker bearing(rocker block) to allow oil to flow into the bolt hole; and then the oiler itself has notches on the ID of the hole that goes over the bolt, as well as a small groove to allow the oil out and into the tube.
20200409_163948.jpg
20200409_163930.jpg
20200409_164021.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Cylinderheads”