Kick started hanging up

All Panhead related discussions, questions etc.
cant-drive-55
Bikes: 59FLH, 76FXE

Kick started hanging up

Post by cant-drive-55 »

'59 w/ aftermarket transmission. Replaced start gears last year. Hard to grind gear off shaft. Now motor wants to while pedal is still at the bottom of stroke. Guessing cam logs may not be fully depressing start gear. Not sure what changed over the winter.

Anything else I can try?
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Re: Kick started hanging up

Post by RooDog »

Yes, you can try going back and correcting your posting so that we can understand what your problem is.

Also a picture of the inside of your kicker cover, and the starter gears would be helpful. It sounds like to me that the kicker's gear has come loose on the kicker arms shaft.
....RooDog....
Last edited by RooDog on Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL
1940 U

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco »

Man be nice :lol: :lol: :lol: :D
RooDog wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:13 pm Yes, you can g try going back and correcting your posting so that we can understand what your problem is.

Also a picture of the inside of your kicker cover, and the starter gears would be helpful. It sounds like to me that the kicker's gear has come loose on the kicker arms shaft.
....RooDog....
cant-drive-55

Post by cant-drive-55 »

Late night post with autocorrect doesn't help.

- The old starter clutch was locked on shaft, requiring a grinder.
- Engine tries to start, but clutch grabs and stops engine with a loud sound. I guess is the starter gear cams are not completely displacing the starter gear against the click spring.

Thanks for your input. I'll get it figured out.
nmaineron
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1995 fxsts,1963 fl project in progress

Post by nmaineron »

Some of the old aftermarket kicker gears were just junk. They didn't cut enough teeth on the gear at the end of the stroke resulting in what you are experiencing.
cant-drive-55

Post by cant-drive-55 »

It seems like the mainshaft is not sized correctly. If I tighten the clutch gear on the shaft so the nut is flush with the shaft (very loose), I cannot push the kicker gear against the spring enough to get a 1/8" gap between the gears.

Perhaps the shaft diameter or taper is incorrect. I'll have to compare with another
cant-drive-55

Post by cant-drive-55 »

Replaced the starter gear and clutch gear on the shaft. I see the kick gear needs to travel completely to the bottom to disconnect the starter gear. Any less and the kick gear/starter gear bind the engine that's just beginning to start. I find it difficult to get the kick pedal down to this point.

Are there differences between the original kick gear and the available import ones? I'm curious if there was any gear with disconnect tabs closer together.
nifty
Bikes: 68 FL

Post by nifty »

Check your spring, many need re-working
Spring maxim: The 33391-36 conical spring must compress/telescope completely flat. With all Starter Clutch parts installed to mainshaft, the Starter Gear must be able to freely slide on mainshaft and fully compress spring, so that ratchet teeth tips of starter gear have a separation gap of 0.100”- 0.125” to corresponding ratchet teeth tips of Starter Clutch. At which point the back of SG must touch mainshft nut.
If above not achieved, do not attempt to assemble rest of kicker

Check first with parts off bike, spring on gear, gently push gear & spring against a flat surface, gear should touch surface, spring should go completely flat with no catching or binding

Spring ends can be carefully shortened & smoothed so they don't overlap/bind

Also some repop mainshafts have projecting thread after nut & tabwasher torqued against bearing, easiest fix is machine a little off inside edge of starter bush until starter gear kisses raised part of factory nut, of course you must also run the correct factory nut

Nifty
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Post by 1950Panhead »

September 3, 2019
I have fallen and cannot get up.

Return to “Panhead”