M35TP carb question

Linkert related issues
rob.mat
Bikes: 48 pan 53 pan, 56 pan

M35TP carb question

Post by rob.mat »

I have just acquired a M35TP carb which I believe to be correct for my 1948 FL Panhead. When I insert the main nozzle into the body of the carb it
passes through – it does not but up against the venture as it does on my M78B. The 1-1/8” venturi is shorter than the one in the M74B, so the
retaining spring ends up below the surface and does not protrude to be compressed at all by the float bowl nut. A friend has a 47 Knuckle and his
carb is the same. He says that on the M35TP the main nozzle ‘floats’, but this does not seem right to me (he also could not get the M35TP to work and
ended up using a M78). Does anyone have any information to help me here or can they point me in the right direction please?
Rob
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: M35TP carb question

Post by RUBONE »

The main nozzle fits exactly the same way on an M35TP as it does on an M74 (there is no M78). The top shoulder of the main nozzle indexes the slot in the venturi allowing the main nozzle to protrude. The spring does indeed hold it in place, no "floating".
rob.mat

Post by rob.mat »

Hi
Thanks for your fast reply. That is just how I would expect it to fit. The venturi on my carb is only about 1-1/16" long, and does not reach the nozzle by about 1/2" - this is why the nozzle passes clear through. Pictures attached to show you what I mean. What confuses me is that the M35TP on my friend's knuckle is identical, guess that's why he couldn't get it to run right. Anyway I did not want to steam in and replace the venturi if it was historically significant. Now that it looks like I am to replace it, would you recommend changing like for like, or increasing the size while I am about it?
Regards Rob
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Post by RooDog »

You might want to take a look here, "Into the Wilderness Trading". I found them on the interweb but have no experience with them.... RooDog....

http://linkertcarbs.com/venturis.html
Buddhahoodvatoloco
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1969 FLF
1937 EL
1940 U

Post by Buddhahoodvatoloco »

These gentlemen are a hoot to chat with, and are well informed. I have done bizzzzzzzzzzzzness with them, highly recommended.
RooDog wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 1:02 pm You might want to take a look here, "Into the Wilderness Trading". I found them on the interweb but have no experience with them.... RooDog....

http://linkertcarbs.com/venturis.html
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

That carb is assembled completely wrong and it appears the venturi is incorrect. Any 1-1/2 inch carb venturi will fit it, either the 1-1/8 or the 1-5/16 type, but all keep the nozzle in place. You have wrong parts in there. I have a couple M35TP carbs and they are just fine.
rob.mat

Post by rob.mat »

Thanks, I was sure that was the case. I just didn't want to disturb anything till I sought advice. Still cannot understand how 2 carbs were identically incorrectly assembled though. They did not even come from the same source (I bought mine in the US and my friends has been in the UK for many years). I will replace the venturi now.
Regards Rob
RUBONE

Post by RUBONE »

Post a picture of the venturi you remove after it is out. Does it have a hole in it for a nozzle?
rob.mat

Post by rob.mat »

Hi
Will do. Can't make out a hole with it in. I'll also add a picture of my friends carb showing his venturi if I can catch him over the weekend
Regards Rob
rob.mat

Post by rob.mat »

I took out my venturi and checked out my friends M35TP. His was taken off after the barrel cracked on his Knuckle (top of cylinder went up and down and damaged the carb). His venturi had just slipped forward so the emulsifier tube was not registering.
As for mine, when I took my venturi out it had been shortened (left of picture). However when I bought the carb in the states the choke and throttle assemblies were not in it. I cannot see how it ran like this, but the witness marks inside the carb says it was. All I can think of is that the venturi was in 2 pieces and the other piece had got lost somewhere along the line. Maybe there was a shortened bomb sight fitted back in the day?? see

http://antiquespeedandmachine.com/custo ... etors.html

Anyway I borrowed a used venturi (it was loose in my carb) and ended up making one a few thou larger to suit (on right of picture). So the problem should be solved.
Thanks for all your help
20190527_155349.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Linkert”