Star Hub Pros/converting star hubs to timkens...

Wheels, hubs and tires
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

shsj
Yes you have to get the conversion axle kit for the hubs,but you don't have to do anything else but put them together and torque it down . Done deal . You can't tell the diff. between oem and the conversion . This is if you are replacing the hub any way, why not got to a safer and more reliable system.
And how are timken bearings a PITA , you will find them on just about every thing . Because HD used the shimmed bearing for so long does not tell you they are the best thing going , it was probably $$$ that guided them because R&D costs $$$ .
Ant thing you do on the side of the road in the dark is a chore , that spacer has never been a problem for me.
shsj
Inactive member

Post by shsj »

fourthgear,

Those CCI hubs are definitely a solution that would work if you were okay with giving up your OEM hardware. Only if you like chrome though and I think it is a one piece hub as opposed to the OEM three piece construction hub, ie the inside is hub isn't two forgings pressed onto the center round steel tube and welded or brazed, etc. Because of this I believe it's shaped differently.

I agree that there is nothing wrong with the Timken type bearing. It was a major improvement to the big twin left motor case over the loose roller in the 50's and millions upon millions of wheels are rolling with them for a reason.

~shsj
shsj
Inactive member

Post by shsj »

Star hub conversion now available. Starts at $119. Uses all stock axles and components, features modern double lip seal on brake side to replace the OEM cork seal. See pictures.

Contact me at msockwel@aol.com
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
chris haynes
Bikes: 27JD, 36EL, 37EL, 45EL, 46EL, 47FL, 48FL, 50FL, 52FL, 56FLE, 73G, 73X90, 95FLHTCU, 06FLHTCUI

Post by chris haynes »

Actually the small side is a 45" male rod race and the big one is a Ironhead Sportster male rod race. I take my hubs to a Harley friendly guy who is at an ID grinding shop who grinds out the old races. I take the new races to another OD grinding shop and have material removed from them to closely match the bores in the hubs. Place the races in the freezer. When chilled press them into the hubs. Re-lap the races and install bearings as original.
Bikes: 1948 FL 74in Panhead Chopper , 1958 Zundapp Citation 500

star hub pros

Post by 108 »

So I gather that there is nothing really wrong with the original bearings, ( other than a lot of parts to juggle)it's just that the Timken conversion is only done when the race surface goes bad and ruins the hub which is probably from lack of grease. And If I keep my '48's bearings well greased the originals will likely last forever ?
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

Change the tire/ service the hub....
shsj
Inactive member

Post by shsj »

If your 48 races are good just keep them greased and serviced and you'll go forever. The conversion is for when the hubs are pitted, rusted, or otherwise damaged but your golden if everything is good and you keep it maintained.

Chris Haynes,

Why does everybody think the Sportster race will work for the brake side? I measured some ironhead and big-twin races in the shop tonight and the ID was 1.625 on three sets of rods I had. The ID of the hub on that side needs to be 1.750. Even if you could get something in there you couldn't hone it because it is a blind hole. The 45 race will work on the star side however...

~shsj
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Listen to the voice of experience, like Panacea and shsj have said, if you do the maintenance, the OEM stuff will last forever. Mr greasegun is your friend, apply liberally!

It is kind of like what I have always said about the 32E generators, they only used them for 30 years before they decided replace them. Star hubs actually had a longer production run, almost 40 years. That's gotta tell you something. This is one case where you do not have to "re-invent the wheel", so to speak.

JMHO,

mike
shsj
Inactive member

Post by shsj »

bumpity-bump
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

It is kind of like what I have always said about the 32E generators, they only used them for 30 years before they decided replace them. Star hubs actually had a longer production run, almost 40 years. That's gotta tell you something. This is one case where you do not have to "re-invent the wheel", so to speak
Or they did not want to spend the money in tooling or R&D to change it to some thing more modern and better. Sorry, but , how many bearing systems are like that now in motor cycles ? Or for that matter ,any other piece of machinery. Just because they used some thing for a long time does not make it better , even if it does do the job.
51Hog
Bikes: 1951 Fl

Post by 51Hog »

Cost and hassle for Tooling and R&D to a company like HD?
For a project like re-designing the star hub, I don't think was an issue.
Their engineers were pretty sharp cookies. They probably didn't think it was necessary to upgrade as long as the original design was working properly.
Look how many miles the loose roller bearings will run, and how many miles can be put on the races simply by changing the roller bearings and keeping them greased. Just a light maintenance thing when rotating or changing tires. Are newer bearings better? Do they last longer? Is maintenance any easier? Maybe--could be--toss up--
I am not against modernizing a star hub--as long as the hub is unusable for its original setup.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Star Hub Pros/converting star hubs to timkens...

Post by 58flh »

Its like Panacia said (grease the hubs when servicing)! I have original star-hubs in mine, & I clean & grease 2-3x a year, depends how much water Ive been through!(RAIN) not creeks! My bearings are very nice & have no issues whatsoever!-Also (SIR-RAT) said---I have no problem ruining a star-hub if its shot! & a Timken is the way to go! SHS is right there is a reason everything is rolling on timkens today!--CARS & BIKES! But I would not ruin a original hub just for an upgrade! Like I said Mine have been turning for 25+yrs now! & thats while I have it! Luckily the guy before me understood maintenance & took care of the machine he had! I got lucky to have gotten a rolling RIGID from an ol timer like that! MAINTAIN the word says it all!(GOOD-LUCK TO ALL)--58flh :twisted:
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

I wonder if shsj ever did a batch of hubs? (this is a very old thread...)
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Panacea wrote:I wonder if shsj ever did a batch of hubs? (this is a very old thread...)
GOOD Question Panacia---sounds like hes been around the block to me -He knows the process, personaly I have under 7 on my belt! All are in operation today!, Also I did the route (COTTON explained!, Its a $$$saver & easy with the right equipment!-Just my 2---Richie 8)
Rollo
Bikes: 33-64 hd's and 36 cheif

Post by Rollo »

In case anyone is interested Paul Feibus at American Cycle Fab in Bloomsburg re-does star hubs back to original rollers and cages for about $100 per hub and both sides. By going back to standard you should have years worth of rebuilds you can do and then if you need he can re-do them again. Infinite rebuilds!

Rollo

Return to “Wheels, Hubs & Tires”