Indian Scout 1928 S.O.S

The place for all Indian related topics
leonardowl48
Bikes: UL 1947

Indian Scout 1928 S.O.S

Post by leonardowl48 »

Hi everybody

I´m working in a SPLITDORF model S magneto, for an Indian Scout 1928. My knoweledge about indians is very low... I need help from the experts.... The coil is missing, (P N 50060). I like to hear about when I can found replacement, or if another kind of coil could be used.

Many Thanks
Regards from Uruguay - Southamerica
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Leonardo!

I was fortunate enough to have a common Briggs&Stratton coil fitted into my later Edison-Splitdorf mag, so there may be options.

Have you tried a google search for suppliers?

...Cotten
leonardowl48

Indian Scout S.O.S

Post by leonardowl48 »

Cotten:

What it means common Briggs&Stratton coil ? (any Reference number?). It´s very hard to find mags. replacements here in my country.

Many thanks
Leonardo
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Leonardo!

Briggs&Stratton is a manufacturer of a wide variety of small engines and components. They even made the ignition switches for the American motorcycles used in World War 2, both H-D and Indian.
It is likely that my coil came from a lawnmower, but I have no model numbers. (A local farmer installed it for me!)

A google search is always the first step to finding suppliers. My own suppliers have tired of the task, so I would have to search as well.
The supply is hard to find everywhere, not just in your country! But our internet connection shall make things better, if we are patient and learn to use it. I am trying to learn....

With luck, I can post a Splitdorf reference soon. I am confused myself by Dixies, Edisons, etc. Most of the time "Splitdorf" refers to a generator, and not a magneto.

In the meantime, please feel free to ask any and all questions, even if answers can not come quickly.

...Cotten
leonardowl48

Indian Scout 1928 S.O.S

Post by leonardowl48 »

Many thanks for your help Cotten.

My first step in the search will be trying to find a coil from an stationary motor or an lawnmower (like Briggs&Straton).

Do you have a picture from your mag. with the coil installed, just to use like refference?

Also I agree with you about the internet make the things better..., mainly conecting people from the other side of the world, with the same passion: bring to the life the old dinosaurs...

Thanks again
Leonardo
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Leonardo!

The Edison-Splitdorf is pretty modern compared to yours. With luck, I can get some photos, and some references, soon.

(My problem will be installation, as I haven't a clue as to timing when the drive gear has been re-pinned three times!)

....Cotten
leonardowl48

INDIAN Scout S.O.S

Post by leonardowl48 »

Cotten:

In this Link http://www.sendspace.com/file/srk1xw you can see pictures of the Splitdorf model S.

There are two differents magnetic rotors from differents mags, both are from Splitdorf model S.
I think this pictures could help you about the timing

Thanks
Leonardo
Springerpanhead
Bikes: 57 ? Pan chopper
85 custom ironhead sportster
37 Indian Junior Scout

Re: Indian Scout 1928 S.O.S

Post by Springerpanhead »

Marks Magnetos in Colchester Connecticut USA can wind you a new coil. His ads can be found in the old engine magazines, and probably on smokestack.com if you can't find it contact me at Lemur1@me.com and I will get you his phone number

Return to “Indians”