Forum rules
Please do not start new topics here, but here: New Panhead and Flathead topics
panama86
Bikes: 79 FXEF
51 FL

Crossover shaft too short, locking up.

Post by panama86 »

Hey all,
Still battling this nightmare project i've been working on for a while. The latest issue is the brake crossover.

It's a stock wishbone frame with original crossover tube in place still. I have pressed in new bushings and reamed to size. The new (aftermarket) shaft rotates smoothly in the bushings with minimal slop. The problem arises when I install the actuating arms on each end of the shaft. This causes the shaft to lock up as the shaft seems to be roughly .15" shorter than the length of the crossover tube. I am referring to the point on the shaft where the actuating arms are flush against the square edge on the shaft.

I'm sure this is likely a manufacturing fault associated with the aftermarket shaft, my question is. Should I lob off an extra .15" from the right side of the crossover tube and run the shaft I have?

Has anyone else encountered this issue before?

Cheers
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Re: Crossover shaft too short, locking up.

Post by 1950Panhead »

I'm sure this is likely a manufacturing fault associated with the aftermarket shaft, my question is. Should I lob off an extra .15" from the right side of the crossover tube and run the shaft I have?
No, tube should be 8.375", buy this - https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-H-D-Rear-B ... :rk:1:pf:0
Larry
Bikes: -

Post by Larry »

.150" might as well be a yard. Get your money back.
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

Half a dozen oem ones on e-bay. No reason to buy that crap.

Return to “Brakes”