idler gear

idler &circuit breaker gear shaft problem

Gear Case (cams, idlers, cam cover)
bigb
Bikes: 62 Harley Davidson

idler gear

Post by bigb »

Hey guys , I noticed on my panhead engine the shafts where the circuit breaker gear &idler gear shafts don't have a groove for a snap ring or a spacer , every manual I looked at also shows a groove for a snapring and a spacer, my shafts are plum smooth, what do I need to do?? thankyou
RooDog
Bikes: 1950 Panhead, Resto-Mod
1968 90", 5 Speed Shovelhead,
1984 Home Built Custom Evo 100" Bagger

Re: idler gear

Post by RooDog »

I have just been down that road with my Project Panny. And I had never used the snap ring on those two idler shafts. Their only purpose is to hold everything together while the cam cover is off. Once the cover is back in place the snap rings do nothing. But I have since installed the snap ring as my iggy idler would disengage itself from the circuit breaker gear while I was changing cams and then I would have to go through the drill of having to re-clock that booger. So it is no big worry not to have the snap rings, but they can save some sweat and aggravation.....
RooDog
bigb

Post by bigb »

thankyou for the reply, did you use a shim on the backside on the circuit breaker gear to line it with the cam gear ? and won't spacer bushing rub on the inside of the cam cover mine has no groove for the snap ring? sorry for so many questions but I want to make sure this is perfect ,thanks again I really appreciate it
RooDog

Post by RooDog »

The CB gear does not mate with the cam gear, it runs directly off of the pinion gear. I have never had reason to shim anything other than the Cam and Breather gears....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

The factory themselves eliminated the snap rings in the late '50s. Use the large diameter spacers that they went to, the large surface area will prevent wear on the cam cover., no need to shim anything with straight cut gears. Just set your lash right on the generator gear.
bigb

Post by bigb »

that sure clears things up for me, one more question the breather washer ,hows the best way to get the right one and best fit?
RooDog

Post by RooDog »

RTFM. You do have the Factory Service Manuals for your year engine, and the parts book too, now don't you? If not, get them, and not the Chilton, Clymer, Haynes, the trilogy of misinformation. RooDog
Doc37W
Bikes: '37 W,'41 ULH,'59 FLH Handshift,'69 Fl Handshift w/sidecar,

Post by Doc37W »

bigb wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:49 am that sure clears things up for me, one more question the breather washer ,hows the best way to get the right one and best fit?
Bigb, I take it you already have one from your engine. Your breather gear should be steel with a screen inside for the opening with a little tit for the washer to sit on. With the gasket off the case, breather gear installed, and the washer on the tit, lay a straight edge up & down across the washer and the case. It should be flush and not below or above the edge. With the gasket on and cover installed, there will be enough clearance. Most independent shops and some H-D dealers have the steel washers of various sizes. Just make sure the breather gear is steel, and not plastic (EVO). I recently put a '69 Shovelhead engine in a buddy's bike that was rebuilt by a "Harley Mechanic" (more like 'HARDLY A MECHANIC'). Fired it up, and it promptley pumped a quart of oil on the floor from between the case and oil pump! He forgot to put the plug back in the feed/pressure side of the pump. (Installed it on the engine vent at the back of the case, plugging that up!) So, back on the lift, pull the cam cover to help with removal of the pump. Low & behold, there sits a PLASTIC EVO breather gear! It was just starting to score the bore. (plastic will pick up small bits like carbon, beads and inbed them in itself, then acting like a grinding bit, proceeds to score the bore) New S&S breather gear & proper washer, plug back where it should be, new gasket and it runs like lightning, with 30lbs pressure at idle. Doc
bigb

Post by bigb »

thankyou so much , that explained it perfect , the gear breather I got didn't come out of this engine ,but it is steel , i'm gonna put a straight edge on it tomorrow , thanks again
bigb

Post by bigb »

put on a straight edge on it plum flush just like ya said, thanks again

Return to “Gear Case / Cams”